Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical - Ubuntu Tablet Announcement Tomorrow

Phoronix: Canonical - Ubuntu Tablet Announcement Tomorrow

Canonical has made it not so subtly known that they will be making an Ubuntu tablet related announcement tomorrow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Canonical - Ubuntu Tablet Announcement Tomorrow

Canonical has made it not so subtly known that they will be making an Ubuntu tablet related announcement tomorrow...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwNTA
    I proposed they make a tablet in the past (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/10970/). Too late now. I'm getting a distinct impression that if Apple's motto is to 'think different' and Microsoft's is to 'embrace and extend' then Canonical's must be to 'follow the herd'.

Comment

Originally posted by eugene2k View Post
      I proposed they make a tablet in the past (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/10970/). Too late now. I'm getting a distinct impression that if Apple's motto is to 'think different' and Microsoft's is to 'embrace and extend' then Canonical's must be to 'follow the herd'.
      Good job. I'm sure they'll give you all the money..

Seriously though, tablet computers have been being pushed by Microsoft since the 90's. Even in '08 it wasn't a revolutionary idea. The thing that made the iPad revolutionary was the use of hardware which made it ultra thin and light, and had not been available in '08, and combined it with a great software experience. Ubuntu in '08 was nowhere near ready for tablets, nor was the hardware.

Comment

Ubuntu Tablet OS on Microsoft Surface Pro would be pretty cool.
        Should not be that hard to port either. It uses fairly standard hardware x86 even.

Comment

If you want an Ubuntu tablet, just get a Nexus 10. Much better battery life, and costs less than half the price. Most apps should work just fine.

Comment

i'm sorry to say this, but i don't want that purple vomit on my tablet. stop chasing apple, you'll lose. I would love to see CLI scraped error messages on my modern tablet. same goes for KDE devs. other than FOSS dorks, no-one wants your crufty QML crap. we already three platforms that work better on tablets than a shoehorned linux desktop.

Comment

This is excellent news as in the last week I went from my Nexus 7 running rooted Android 4.1.2 to trying to patch to 4.2.2, and it not taking the patch in first attempt, to them installing Plasma Active for another trial and then thinking I'll wait to see if a Ubuntu Phone rebuild will make it to the Nexus 7 to change. Now I should be getting a proper build image for the device.

I all goes well it will be Ubuntu Phone for Tablet, with an image for Nexus 7.

What I expect:
              * screen rotation
              * keyboard properly focussing for text fields
              * text field having ability to hold down and context menu for cut/copy/paste
              * pinch zoom available in areas where you expect it
              * GFX + video acceleration
              * sound in/out
              * video player able to streaming over the network, not download the whole move before play
              * eBook viewer

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                i'm sorry to say this, but i don't want that purple vomit on my tablet. stop chasing apple, you'll lose. I would love to see CLI scraped error messages on my modern tablet. same goes for KDE devs. other than FOSS dorks, no-one wants your crufty QML crap. we already three platforms that work better on tablets than a shoehorned linux desktop.
                Go back to your dog cave.

I'll say this for the opportunity for others to read.

Linux on a tablet will bring far better liberties then other platforms. Example;

* Repository system and any app stores you want
                * Proper networking core
                * Ubuntu's dock it mode to make full desktop... hdmi/usb/keyboard/mouse needed
                * Vast array of existing source-code and pre-compiled apps
                * QML opportunities to create and profit form it and other platforms
                * Zippy speeds
                * Developer and system management tools for IT people
                etc.etc.

I think the area where many tablets and phones are lacking is the re-emergence of stylus. Screen makers may move into adding proper stylus sensors in the future. This is probably the only good feature with the Microsoft's Surface Pro tablet. Ubuntu/Linux developers need to consider this support in all the design.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                  Go back to your dog cave.
                  Don't insult dogs like that :P

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Don't insult dogs like that :P
                    Dogs in caves are pretty ratty though.

With out starting another post. I'm amazed no one has made a full 3D tablet OS, where everything is pinch zoomable/rotate. With other gestures to manage the input and control. A virtual emergence through the tablet screen.

It kind of sucks that only some content scales or your apps are forced to suit the screen size, in most tablet and phone OSes. Apple probably has the best experience for manipulation.

Comment

Working...
                    X