Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bashing?

Here's another part of Aarons post, quoted verbatim:

" I want to make it crystal clear that I think Ubuntu Phone a great thing to see; more Free software mobile efforts, particularly ones using Qt/QML, warm my insides like a good bowl of soup on a cold winter's night. We've even been discussing how to harmonize QML APIs in future between Plasma and Ubuntu Phone"

All he's really saying is that the phone uses different code to the desktop, despite the marketing department saying otherwise.

I smell Phoronix linkbait.

Comment

The problem with Canonical

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
      Would you like to be more precise instead of just giving very vague and ambigous hints?
      Sure, even though it doesn't require much explanation:
      Canonical is a company which hasn't been contributing upstream since day one, which means, that all patches they apply to their distribution (namely Ubuntu and now Ubuntu Phone) are not beneficial to the projects they are using (cf. Linux-Kernel).
      I do have issues with proprietary software, but agree on the fact, that in some cases we have to deal with them until a future, better, *free* solution is developed.
      In case of Ubuntu, it is the other way around. We cannot see it as a GNU/Linux-distribution any more, as it has been designed to be proprietary and incorporates many aspects which let Canonical earn a lot of money from those idiots *buying* their software for which there are lots of, mostly better, free alternatives.
      Now the problem is, that most people don't see they are fooled and even support people like Mark Shuttleworth in their cause.
      I personally don't deny the fact Ubuntu is very successful in fooling people this way.

Hopefully this statement cleared things up for you.

Comment

Aaron's response to this article

Aaron has responed on this article:
        "Dear Michael Larabel, if you are going to post my Google+ updates to Phoronix (or anywhere else), please do so with accuracy. I clearly wrote in my posting last night that "I want to make it crystal clear that I think Ubuntu Phone a great thing to see", yet you write I'm "not a fan of the Ubuntu Phone".

These are difficult enough topics as it is, the last thing it needs are people misrepresenting my words and misquoting me.

I would appreciate a correction on your Phoronix article."

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
          Sure, even though it doesn't require much explanation:
          Canonical is a company which hasn't been contributing upstream since day one, which means, that all patches they apply to their distribution (namely Ubuntu and now Ubuntu Phone) are not beneficial to the projects they are using (cf. Linux-Kernel).
          I do have issues with proprietary software, but agree on the fact, that in some cases we have to deal with them until a future, better, *free* solution is developed.
          In case of Ubuntu, it is the other way around. We cannot see it as a GNU/Linux-distribution any more, as it has been designed to be proprietary and incorporates many aspects which let Canonical earn a lot of money from those idiots *buying* their software for which there are lots of, mostly better, free alternatives.
          Now the problem is, that most people don't see they are fooled and even support people like Mark Shuttleworth in their cause.
          I personally don't deny the fact Ubuntu is very successful in fooling people this way.

Hopefully this statement cleared things up for you.
          It's true that Canonical isn't very strong in contributing upstream, but it's not true, that they don't contribute anything at all (i.e. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTEyMDE, but even if it was true, that still wouldn't hurt anyone, would it?).

I'm also not too happy about any proprietary software and always prefer free alternatives, and I'm a fan of RMS. But I can't see how earning money is a bad thing per se. The shopping lens was actually the only instance of Canonical's money-making mechanisms I considered as bad (although I didn't care too much, since I' use KDE), but it's obviusly not going to stay this way. If they screw things up in a LTS, that's the point where I'd get worried.

On the other hand, Canonical is still pretty much the only one, pushing Linux into the market, without sacrificing freedom. For instance, Steam (yeah, I know - great example for freedom :P - but you still get the point, I hope) was developed for Ubuntu, but is usable for other distros as well (official support for non-Ubuntu distros is still coming, if it's not already there). In general: the more users we'll get, the more attention (especially from devs) we'll get (this also includes (potential) FOSS devs).

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
            Aaron has responed on this article:
            "Dear Michael Larabel, if you are going to post my Google+ updates to Phoronix (or anywhere else), please do so with accuracy. I clearly wrote in my posting last night that "I want to make it crystal clear that I think Ubuntu Phone a great thing to see", yet you write I'm "not a fan of the Ubuntu Phone".

These are difficult enough topics as it is, the last thing it needs are people misrepresenting my words and misquoting me.

I would appreciate a correction on your Phoronix article."
            Hah Michael got burned!

It really is just to spur up flames and get himself more hits *sigh*

Comment

Sick Burn!

Comment

Unity 2D uses Qt, so I don't see the point to his google+ post.

And Unity 3D will probably be changed in the future when Canonical dumps Compiz to start using Weston+Wayland when they are ready for productivity usage. Probably they'll take the same code based used in Ubuntu Phone, which most probably is based on Ubuntu 2D.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                  Unity 2D uses Qt, so I don't see the point to his google+ post.

And Unity 3D will probably be changed in the future when Canonical dumps Compiz to start using Weston+Wayland when they are ready for productivity usage. Probably they'll take the same code based used in Ubuntu Phone, which most probably is based on Ubuntu 2D.
                  Unity 2D was discounted as of Ubuntu 12.10:

Unity 2D, the light-weight counterpart to Ubuntu's Unity interface, has been retired from Ubuntu 12.10. In an update released yesterday Unity 2D was removed and users set to auto-login to the session transitioned over to regular Unity. The 2D version of Unity has been used as a fallback for users whose computers lack sufficient graphical grunt to run the '3D' version.

Comment

Adblock On or Off?

Let's see here:

1. Larabel posts a link-bait "article" distorting and hijacking a reasonable post by a guy, Aaron Seigo, who has been doing huge work in the open source world for over a decade.
                    2. Larabel refuses to correct his "article" after the source calls him out on it.
                    3. Adblock on or off for Phoronix? THANKS FOR MAKING THE DECISION EASY LARABEL!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                      Let's see here:

1. Larabel posts a link-bait "article" distorting and hijacking a reasonable post by a guy, Aaron Seigo, who has been doing huge work in the open source world for over a decade.
                      2. Larabel refuses to correct his "article" after the source calls him out on it.
                      3. Adblock on or off for Phoronix? THANKS FOR MAKING THE DECISION EASY LARABEL!
                      If Michael had only put a direct link to this comment in his RSS feed I wouldn't have wasted the last minute of my life...

Comment

Working...
                      X