Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Aaron Seigo Bashes Ubuntu Phone

Phoronix: KDE's Aaron Seigo Bashes Ubuntu Phone

Well known KDE developer Aaron Seigo has come out criticizing the Ubuntu Phone project, which has a developer preview coming out next week. He was quick to criticize the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview and feels that free software developers and users interested in this project are "being duped" by Canonical...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What false premense? They are making a phone, they are using QT/QML? I don't get whats false about that statement. Any explaination Michael?

Comment

I don't get it at all either, being duped by what exactly?!

People "buying into it" are fans of Ubuntu wanting a phone running it...it's quite simple and no duping involved.

Comment

From link
        "When complete, the same Ubuntu code will deliver a mobile, tablet, desktop or TV experiences depending on the device it is installed on, or where it is docked."
        He bash Canonicals market department.

I want to make it crystal clear that I think Ubuntu Phone a great thing to see; more Free software mobile efforts, particularly ones using Qt/QML, warm my insides like a good bowl of soup on a cold winter's night
        But not the Ubuntu Phone.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          What false premense? They are making a phone, they are using QT/QML? I don't get whats false about that statement. Any explaination Michael?
          The "too long; didn't read" version: Ubuntu Phone isn't the same as Ubuntu. While Unity uses QML that let's it achieve application portability across devices/platforms, Ubuntu Phone has no traces of QML in its sources, which means that Ubuntu Phone will be like MS Surface RT -- the "mobile apps" will work, the desktop ones won't. Caconical, on the other hand, claims that there won't be any difference between them, and they even promise binary compatibility.

in short, Ubuntu is becoming another Android.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
            The "too long; didn't read" version: Ubuntu Phone isn't the same as Ubuntu. While Unity uses QML that let's it achieve application portability across devices/platforms, Ubuntu Phone has no traces of QML in its sources, which means that Ubuntu Phone will be like MS Surface RT -- the "mobile apps" will work, the desktop ones won't. Caconical, on the other hand, claims that there won't be any difference between them, and they even promise binary compatibility.

Source required, legit source it you would mind.

Comment

Rather the other way around. Unity is missing QML, while Ubuntu Phone is using it.

Comment

When will people understand?

Most of the posters don't seem to understand what Aaron Seigo wants to express and what he criticizes.

Although it is a pity, it still makes me think that those people don't deserve better than further proposing Ubuntu and moving away from the basic idea of what the GNU-OS is about.
                You don't have to be a radical proponent of free software to perceive what Canonical's main interests are concerning Ubuntu and Ubuntu Phone.
                To give you a little hint: These are not interests most of you would agree with, being mostly focused on creating an empire and monopoly on what most people believe is *free* software, but which in reality isn't at all.

Comment

Binary compatibility? I'm not an expert on this, but isn't QML interpreted?

Originally posted by frign View Post
                  Most of the posters don't seem to understand what Aaron Seigo wants to express and what he criticizes.

Although it is a pity, it still makes me think that those people don't deserve better than further proposing Ubuntu and moving away from the basic idea of what the GNU-OS is about.
                  You don't have to be a radical proponent of free software to perceive what Canonical's main interests are concerning Ubuntu and Ubuntu Phone.
                  To give you a little hint: These are not interests most of you would agree with, being mostly focused on creating an empire and monopoly on what most people believe is *free* software, but which in reality isn't at all.
                  Would you like to be more precise instead of just giving very vague and ambigous hints?

Comment

If Canoncial can deliver the Ubuntu Phone as demo'ed then I'd be happy. This means being able to run software currently available for desktop.

I find all the other Tablet and Phone OS's limiting.

Plasma Active shows promise but when I tested it on my Nexus 7 it was riddled with flaws and missing abilities that are required to navigate or have power. The PA developers aren't listening to the community. Example I don't like apps running full screen, but PA devs don't want to know about it.

With QML Plasma Active will also benefit from Ubuntu Phone apps.

Comment

Working...
                    X