Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Announces The Snapdragon 800

Phoronix: Qualcomm Announces The Snapdragon 800

Another hardware announcement from the Consumer Electronics Show this week in Las Vegas is Qualcomm announcing the Snapdragon 600 and 800 series processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2OTc

OpenCL with a decent CPU in a smartphone.... I've been waiting for this for a while.

Now show me a device running Android/Linux with decent battery life, and a screen in the 4.0-4.5" range.

For any smartphone manufacturers that care, I'm looking for the following:
    4.0-4.5" display
    Dual/Quad Cortex A15
    GPU w/ OpenCL and GLES 2/3
    USB Host capability
    micro/mini HDMI out
    micro-SD card expandability, plus 8+GB onboard storage
    Wireless/Bluetooth/GSM+LTE
    Decent Battery life... I usually charge overnight, but it shouldn't be a necessity if I'm not using it constantly.
    non-AMOLED screen (blue dies early)
    high-DPI/resolution
    Android 4.2+
    NFC + Inductive charging are a bonus

The LG Optimus G almost hit all my criteria, but it's a bit large for my taste and I don't believe that it supports CL.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

The LG Optimus G almost hit all my criteria, but it's a bit large for my taste and I don't believe that it supports CL.
      It does. So does Mali T604 by the way, but that's not in smartphones now.

https://developer.qualcomm.com/forum...n-adreno/15317

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        OpenCL with a decent CPU in a smartphone.... I've been waiting for this for a while.

Now show me a device running Android/Linux with decent battery life, and a screen in the 4.0-4.5" range.

For any smartphone manufacturers that care, I'm looking for the following:
        4.0-4.5" display
        Dual/Quad Cortex A15
        GPU w/ OpenCL and GLES 2/3
        USB Host capability
        micro/mini HDMI out
        micro-SD card expandability, plus 8+GB onboard storage
        Wireless/Bluetooth/GSM+LTE
        Decent Battery life... I usually charge overnight, but it shouldn't be a necessity if I'm not using it constantly.
        non-AMOLED screen (blue dies early)
        high-DPI/resolution
        Android 4.2+
        NFC + Inductive charging are a bonus

The Adreno 3xx series (optimus G / Nexus4) supports openCL.
        As far as AMOLED goes, however, that is one of the places where you gain massively in battery life.

I just picked up a Samsung Relay, which meets all of your specs except AMOLED and openCL (since it has an Adreno 225 rather than a 3xx), and I can basically skip charging it for TWO nights and still have a little bit of juice when I get home from work on the 3rd day.

Comment

I can basically skip charging it for TWO nights and still have a little bit of juice when I get home from work on the 3rd day.
          Hahaha... And you say that like it's a good thing.

The pathetic battery life of the so called smart phones, how can you stand that?

Comment

Working...
          X