Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Linux For Mobile Phones Announced

Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux For Mobile Phones Announced

Canonical officially announced Ubuntu Phone OS today, it's attempt at pushing the popular desktop Linux distribution onto mobile devices. However, for the moment, if you're just an end-user don't get too excited...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Watch OUT! Here comes Nerd Rage and Anti-Ubuntu posts!

Here, let me start! "Arch could do that better!".

Am I doing it right?

Comment

Was there an ETA on the sale of the phone. Can't find it anywhere.

Comment

Vaporware

I'm still waiting for Ubuntu TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
          Was there an ETA on the sale of the phone. Can't find it anywhere.
          No, it didn't mention ANY provider that will be picking up the phone as of this date. Nor do I think it mentioned that it turns into the FULL ubuntu desktop when docked to a hdmi capable tv and usb keyboard mouse combo. I found that detail on the ubuntu blog.

Comment

Hmm QML toolkit, html5 so it's like tizen but more like meego and obviously debian packaging system. Well hopefully after CES we see is it any good, some big phone manufacturer could show phone with ubuntu mobile os on there.

Comment

KDE

Plasma Active looks like a better idea than this actually... Still nice, it would be good if they maintained compatibility with Plasma...

Comment

Hands on: http://youtube.com/watch?v=kXWnMTm7We8.

Comment

No hardware vendor support..hmm

Okay, it has only become 2013 and we're getting hyped up for false hopes?

Ubuntu TV for 2012 (didn't happen...)
                  Ubuntu for Android 2012 (died off?)

Ubuntu Phone 2013 (No vendor support, but hey we got the OS! -.-)

I'm sorry to rant but I've lost hope for Canonical. They are good at getting peoples hopes up, but actually delivering rarely happens. I wouldn't announce any type of gadget until you GOT A HARDWARE VENDOR...:/

Comment

What graphics server is it running? Wayland? X.org? Something else?

Comment

Working...
                    X