Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Creator 2.6 Beta Supports Android, QNX

Phoronix: Qt Creator 2.6 Beta Supports Android, QNX

Following the recent Qt 5.0 Beta release, the Qt Creator 2.6 development environment is also now at beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ever since mobile got big and Nokia dropped Qt from their strategy, the 'write once, deploy everywhere' slogan has kind of lost its hold. With Android support and Jolla coming around the corner, maybe we'll see a renewed interested in mobile development with Qt, especially considering how integral QML will be in Qt5. I'm interested to see how this all plays out.

Comment

Symbian support was dropped over lack of maintainership
      Still there are a lots of Symbian phones out there. This is a bad thing for Symbian developers.

Comment

What is the business logic for Nokia to keep developing QT Creator? I mean they got rid of QT, and are in bed with ms with their developer tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
          Still there are a lots of Symbian phones out there. This is a bad thing for Symbian developers.
          No. Symbian uses Qt 4.x, not Qt 5.

Comment

The Nokia guys are IMHO really trying to destroy themselves...

I mean if they think they had to jump in the bed with M$, they should have
            persuaded M$ to be allowed to port Qt to Winblows Phone 7.

So now they fucked themselves over, now Symbian dev's that used Qt 4x for their Apps will
            port it to Qt 5.x and ... Android ?!? ...

At least they kept their promise, Apps could easily ported to a new mainstream mobile OS :P

And screen size DOES make a difference, so even if a lot of APPs are developed for Win/8 metro
            most of them will IMHO be ported at best to a tablet, but not to a Phone, because: Display to small!!

M$ is only really going after the tablet market with this move, cause they are fucked by the iPad ...
            So even if WP8 fails, and they get a serious tablet market share, they won with their WP strategy,
            then they'll give up WP, and Nokia is doomed.

And BTW they should IMHO had the Winblows Phony 7 phones ready to hit the market when
            Elop said: "oh, our stuff totally sucks compared to Apple and Android, and so we go to M$
            because their's also much better than our stuff right now but we need a year to push our new
            stuff on the market so please keep buying the shit from us which will be dead & unsupported in
            a year or so when we finally got the Windows Phone 7 Cellphones in the market".

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              What is the business logic for Nokia to keep developing QT Creator? I mean they got rid of QT, and are in bed with ms with their developer tools.

Qt is still in transition between Nokia and Digia, I'm guessing as v2.6 work had already started before the sale they are obliged to finish it.

Comment

Working...
              X