2012 MacBook Air Isn't Trouble-Free On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
    One specific note: talking about the Z, 'the storage requires using fake RAID' isn't quite the best summary. More accurate is just 'the system uses fake RAID out of the box' - (most) Zs have two SSDs inside, which are by default configured as BIOS RAID-0 for increased performance.
    That's pretty horrible. You advertised those as great reliable models, and then it comes out that they default to RAID-0. For the new readers here, the 0 stands for how many files you get back when one disk fails.

Then there's the physical space, weight and power used by two disks instead of one.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Because article sucks. Try running os x on something different than apple's hardware and you'll run into troubles.
      True. OSX on Intel Hardware somewhat possible. OSX on AMD really tricky. I'd also say that it has more to do with Apple than the
      current state of linux kernel development.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        True. OSX on Intel Hardware somewhat possible. OSX on AMD really tricky. I'd also say that it has more to do with Apple than the
        current state of linux kernel development.
        Indeed. There's even an entire community dedicated to supporting OSX on non-apple hardware, including as a VMWare guest. Aside from contributing in a tangential, if not entirely unintended fashion, Apple has almost nothing to do with Linux. I don't think that they're actively trying to prevent Linux from working on their hardware, I just think that they don't care. I've noticed the same thing about the hackintosh community. Apple could, with little effort, make it extremely difficult to run OSX on non-apple hardware. They don't, because it's not on their agenda. Why spend cycles killing a community that loves your products when you could spend the dev time making the product better? Running OSX on a Dell/HP is a very different experience from running on OSX on a Mac.

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
          Yeah, like more ram, more storage, a keyboard, and the ability to run a multitasking desktop OS. Oh, wait.....
          well, i sure expect for apple's sake that it does have all those given the price premium.
          What i don't understand is why it has a much lower screen resolution, especially because the higher resolution would be much more important on a notebook than on a tablet (and of course because the macbook air has such a price premium that you'd take it for granted that it would _at least_ have the same resolution as the cheaper device)

Comment

Originally posted by mr_manny View Post
            me@MacBookAir:~$ uname -a
            Linux MacBookAir 3.2.0-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 21 16:52:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            me@MacBookAir:~$

Some trackpad guesters and slightly less battery life are about the only issues you adjust to when running linux on an MBA.

for me, the improved os env benefits out weigh the issues listed above

ubutu 12.04 on MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011)
            Are you running Mountain Lion? I can't get mine to work at all, and I think it's because I upgraded to 10.8

Comment

Originally posted by ajbuck68 View Post
              Are you running Mountain Lion? I can't get mine to work at all, and I think it's because I upgraded to 10.8
              Sorry, no Mac OS...single boot ubuntu 12.04 only.

Comment

Working...
              X