Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 12.10 Sets To Make ARM Even Stronger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 12.10 Sets To Make ARM Even Stronger

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Sets To Make ARM Even Stronger

    While Ubuntu 12.04 already did a very good job at enhancing the ARM performance, Ubuntu 12.10 already has a number of performance improvements for ARM devices.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17420

  • #2
    What about debian?

    Does anybody know, wether these changes can also be found in Debian -- either originated there or where backported?

    It would be nice to have a speed up for my OpenRD server

    Comment


    • #3
      No, debian hasn't hardfp. Debian has to run on every arm machine including low end ones, ubuntu doesn't.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

      Comment


      • #4
        I was wrong, here it is: http://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

        Comment


        • #5
          Cortex-strings is a year and a half old already, and is not in a single upstream libc. Upstream integration where, Ubuntu?


          They at least patch their own eglibc with it, so one can use the patch if one knows where to look for it. Having to link an extra lib doesn't really work out, just ask Intel and AMD about their optimized string and math libs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Is this work actually done by Canonical to improve the ARM toolchain or is it piggybacking on work done by other companies (Linaro springs to mind)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Is this work actually done by Canonical to improve the ARM toolchain or is it piggybacking on work done by other companies (Linaro springs to mind)
              Canonical is Linaro partner and works with them to make Linux better for ARM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, the GCC ARM optimizations are mainly done by Linaro. Canonical does take part in Linaro, but I don't really know how much.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  Canonical is Linaro partner and works with them to make Linux better for ARM.
                  Canonical is a commercial entity. they don't want to make Linux better for ARM, they want to make Ubuntu better for ARM. Their goal is that you run Ubuntu, not any other Linux distribution.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                    Canonical is a commercial entity. they don't want to make Linux better for ARM, they want to make Ubuntu better for ARM. Their goal is that you run Ubuntu, not any other Linux distribution.
                    Well in progress of making Ubuntu better for ARM they are also making Linux better for ARM by working upstream with Linaro. They are in no way trying to make it harder for other distributions to support ARM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Teho View Post
                      Well in progress of making Ubuntu better for ARM they are also making Linux better for ARM by working upstream with Linaro. They are in no way trying to make it harder for other distributions to support ARM.
                      But they also don't make it easier. Be real, the amount of upstream contributions coming from Canonical/Ubuntu is ridiculously low for the amount of users and developers they have in their community.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                        But they also don't make it easier. Be real, the amount of upstream contributions coming from Canonical/Ubuntu is ridiculously low for the amount of users and developers they have in their community.
                        How could they make it easier? By compiling packages for other distributions? I do understand the critique that Canonical is getting for the crap they are pulling with Gnome/GTK+ but this has nothing to do with it. Canonical/Ubuntu does a lot to advance Linux on ARM servers and contribute directly to upstream so I don't see what the problem is here if there's any. Sure they could do more in many departments but I doubt that ARM is one of them.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Some regressions, but also some very impressive performance improvements which are twice as fast!

                          How about ARMv8 (64-bit) support?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm a bit surprised to see the idle power so high. I thought these things idled at like zero watts. I guess it depends on the governor of course.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                              it's alright darkbasic armhf had only really been officially part of Debian! since Sat Nov 26, 2011 where markos and Hector did the hard work on/for the Freescale cortex A8/Genesi Efika MX (armhf) kit.

                              http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums...pic.php?t=2212
                              and so all the other Linaro membership also took it up etc .

                              im surprised Michael still hasn't got around to testing a Linaro Optimized build yet even if most of markos's (aka Konstantinos Margaritis Senior Software Engineer, NEON optimizations Genesi USA Inc" NEON optimizations are not widely used yet and so not getting best speed given you are going to get better speed/more spare cycles from any app using NEON SIMD rather than just generic hardfloat generally.
                              Last edited by popper; 06-07-2012, 04:02 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X