Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Facebook Phone Will Use Linux

Phoronix: The Facebook Phone Will Use Linux

This shouldn't come as a terrible surprise, but the Facebook Phone looks like it will be running atop Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwNzg

the redmond company?

http://www.theredmondco.com/

Im sorry for the bile, I just dont get why companies are not called by their names.

Comment

Here's a leaked image of the facebook phone:

No seriously, why would facebook invest in developing a mobile phone?

Comment

Facebook phone?
        Does not want.

Originally posted by crispy View Post
        Im sorry for the bile, I just dont get why companies are not called by their names.
        Poor journalism.

Comment

I have no desire for such a phone, but it will probably sell like hotcakes if it's marketed and priced right. I could see every kid in school wanting one. Put parental controls on it and it's sold.

Comment

Uh, it's basically a blackberry that will doubtlessly be infested up the wazzoo with ads, so why in the world would anybody want this?

Especially if you already have some kind of mobile phone: you are already into some platform, whether it's Android or iOS or Symbian or Windows... you have applications that you've figured out how to tweak for your needs, and chances are you're pretty happy with it (or at least happier than you'd be in a completely new environment where all you can figure out how to do is write on your Facebook wall).

It would surprise me if they went their own route with the platform rather than re-using Android, but if they do use Android, then it isn't going to be different enough from pre-existing Android phones to "sell like hotcakes". Looks like a blackberry and runs Android; that's not really so enticing when Android phones with hardware keyboards already exist and are popular with mobile typists.

Comment

Since they'll buy the Opera browser they'd better have a phone...

Comment

If they do end up buying Opera (not just the mobile versions), Opera'll lose a lot of users. The response in their forums has been overwhelmingly negative.

Me too of course, I'd have to move to an inferior browser and change my email too. Sad if it comes to that.

I wouldn't trust Facebook with a wooden stick, let alone something of value like my data and emails.

Comment

Opera

If they bought Opera, they would add Facebook integration for sharing and such.
                  Many people would not like it.
                  They maybe also would profile users more by usage tracking and such.

I hope they do not buy Opera.
                  If they do buy Opera, I hope they open source it, but I doubt they would.
                  I think Opera should go open source.
                  The web is meant to be open, Google and Mozilla gets it, Opera doesn't.

Comment

Opera tries to come off as a "web pioneer" company, inventing new stuff for our intarwebs that all the other companies steal. To a degree it's true because they participate in open standards bodies, but then so do Apple, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla.

Basically they don't amount to a hill of beans these days. They have a pretty decent and performant rendering engine that ports to a lot of platforms, but then so does WebKit and, to a lesser degree, Gecko. They don't bring anything truly special to the table particularly because they are closed source. If Opera open sourced itself before WebKit and Chrome took over the world, I think it would be in a very different position now. Too late though.

Comment

But can i update my twitter status with this phone ?

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                        Opera tries to come off as a "web pioneer" company, inventing new stuff for our intarwebs that all the other companies steal. To a degree it's true because they participate in open standards bodies, but then so do Apple, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla.

Basically they don't amount to a hill of beans these days. They have a pretty decent and performant rendering engine that ports to a lot of platforms, but then so does WebKit and, to a lesser degree, Gecko. They don't bring anything truly special to the table particularly because they are closed source. If Opera open sourced itself before WebKit and Chrome took over the world, I think it would be in a very different position now. Too late though.
                        Indeed, Opera could have been the one browser if it had went open sourced years ago.
                        Now it has like 1% of market share, and nobody really cares about it.
                        But I guess it would increase market share, if it were open source, so that's what they should do, the sooner the better. They just irrelevant.

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                        But can i update my twitter status with this phone ?
                        Yeah, but you have to root it first.

Comment

Opera has most of the mobile market, and incredibly loyal desktop users. In the facebook thread some were offering to pay for Opera again if that helped to prevent FB from getting its way.

Only speaking for myself, but it really is a step above the other browsers, often more. Firefox is both slower and has lacking usability, Chrome requires extensive adaptation before one could be familiar with its UI and it spies on you by default. SeaMonkey is FF for all practical purposes, and the lighter Webkit browsers (Midori et al) lack both a ton of features and usability.

So what's one to do? If Opera were to go to FB, I'd need to spend a month or two customizing FF to be usable at a similar level (some things are not config options and need source-level changes; some other things are extensions, and running those in a scripted language in a speed-critical environment is just wrong. Also many extension authors have shown themselves to be less than trustable, I can't recall whether it was NoScript or AdBlock but it involved those two).

Comment

Oh boy, here we go again

This will, out of all likelihood, end up like Android has: A limited baby OS, a weird stack, locked down bootloaders, "cloud computing" idiocy, and/or DRM. Who knows, maybe a proprietary UI as well, Zuckerburg would probably have everything proprietary except for the kernel.
                            And out of all likelihood shallow slobs like Michael will be hailing it as the greatest thing ever because IT USES LINUX!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111111111111111 1111111111111111111111111ONE

Comment

Heh...
                              For everyone confused by that "leak" picture on page 1... that is an already existing phone... "HTC CHACHA". It is Android 2.3 polluted with HTC STENCH, and has a fagbook button. What makes it "special" for the fagbookers and pregnant tweens, is that it has a dedicated button that launches the fagbook application.

What IS known is that this phone IS contracted to HTC. Now HTC makes what? Android phones.
                              They could do winturd phones as well, but not if they want to customize it with HTC STENCH, or the fagbook version of the same thing.

Now this can really go in one of three directions;
                              1) Android + HTC STENCH w/fagbook customizations.
                              2) Custom featurephone.
                              3) Some existing not-well-known mobile OS vendor. BREW? Access?

-They aren't going to build a full smartphone OS from the ground up.
                              -They aren't going to go with one of Android's competitors (because they won't adapt to fagbook).

No matter what, I don't see this actually going anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X