Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerTOP 2.0 Finally Sees Release

Phoronix: PowerTOP 2.0 Finally Sees Release

After a long and drawn out development cycle, PowerTOP 2.0 is finally available...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwMTA

Just installed it. Now, of course, it needs some kernel features enabled that I left out during menuconfig. Sadly I can't find a list with requirements quickly. I still remember old powertop also wanted a few things you normally don't have in a kernel config on a standard productive box. So reconfiguring, recompiling and restarting. Well hopefully debugfs is enough. The tools itself is definitely among intel's better ideas. Though there is still a lot in a machine that you can't influnece - be it a hardware or driver limitation.

Comment

@Adarion: Well, this can be easily solved, a list of necessary kernel features is provided by the README file. Here is the part I refer to:
      Kernel Parameters:
      ------------------

PowerTOP needs some kernel config options enabled in order function properly.
      As of linux-3.3.0 these are (list probably incomplete):

CONFIG_NO_HZ
      CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS
      CONFIG_HPET_TIMER
      CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND
      CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND
      CONFIG_SND_AC97_POWER_SAVE
      CONFIG_TIMER_STATS
      CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS
      CONFIG_PERF_COUNTERS
      CONFIG_TRACEPOINTS
      CONFIG_TRACING
      CONFIG_EVENT_POWER_TRACING_DEPRECATED
      ACPI_PROCFS_POWER

The patches in the patches/ sub-directory are required for PowerTOP to function
      fully.

Comment

Heh, oh, good old readme. That happens when you install it by package manager and not downloading it manually. You lose contact with the readme files.
        It seems I was just missing debugfs, it runs now after just one recompile. Thanks anyway.
        Now I see quite a bunch of things it suggests to fix. More work.

Comment

Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe something for the Phoronix Test Suite to integrate?

If data from PowerTOP were aggrevated from thousands of systems, it could be helpful?

Comment

And still if I set a VM writeback timeout greater than 1500 it's reported as 'bad'.

Comment

Haven't tried the new version, but in 1.13 it recommended enabling the HDA sound timeout, even though it was enabled, just with a different timeout than powertop wanted. Does 2.x do that too? :P

Comment

Working...
              X