Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Biggest Problem For A Linux PC Vendor

Phoronix: The Biggest Problem For A Linux PC Vendor

Yesterday at the Ubuntu Developer Summit while trying to enjoy the disappointing beer selection, a leading PC vendor that sells Linux-loaded PCs shared with me the biggest problem they face when it comes to Linux pre-loaded systems at this time...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5ODQ

Tell them use Radeon instead of GeForce, because Catalyst for Linux support PowerXpress officially.
    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Just Optimus?

Hell, no, Linux on the whole is a shit-wreck.

Comment

Yeah, this really sucks. Seeing "nvidia" used to mean good performance, features, and support for linux.
        Now just means "run away" on a laptop.

Comment

Probably that is not the root of all these problems, just a manifestation.

Most Linux games run well on Intel HD graphics. Oil rush is one of a few exceptions. There is really no force to push forward driver support on laptop Linux.

Comment

Luckily (or not, let's see how it turns out) intel IGPs are improving consistently with each new product decreasing the need for a dedicated GPU.

Comment

Optimus is irrelevant. All it is is nvidia's excuse for their inability to make a GPU with a low energy footprint at low performance levels. You don't need multiple GPUs, you need ONE GOOD SCALABLE GPU.

Comment

i never understood this technology

when, on Windows, the nvidia gpu gets activated even for browsing websites...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  narod.ru

These are idiots from retarded russian stoplinux group payed by microsucks on fcked up hosting. Stop posting crap already.
                  And btw, stoplinux has been "owned" daily when they were on windowz suckserver, so they ditched for openbsd which was instant rhetorical showdown of the failure in their original logic.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    narod.ru

These are idiots from retarded russian stoplinux group payed by microsucks on fcked up hosting. Stop posting crap already.
                    I really cannot understand what this free homepage hosting (founded by Yandex) has to do anything with your hollow baseless accusations.

Comment

Nvidia, comment??!...

Comment

I really cannot understand what this free homepage hosting (founded by Yandex) has to do anything with your hollow baseless accusations.
                        Artem, you forgot introduce yourself.

Proprietary NVIDIA/AMD graphics drivers don't support KMS/VirtualFB and lag in features implementation (proper Randr support
                        By the way why you still think proprietary driver doesn't support randr? Catalyst support it for years, nVidia support it since latest beta.

Too many layers of abstraction lead to the situation when the user cannot determine why his audio doesn't work
                        Just like in Windows: driver -> DirectSound/WASAPI/ASIO/etc. -> application.

X.org is largely outdated, unsuitable and even insecure for modern PCs and applications.
                        Security issue you talking about is already resolved.

You really need to update this list and review many items. Now this looks like nothing but stupid trolling.

Comment

Gonna have to file this one away under "full of chit". I'm sure the guy meant well, but he's full of chit. Or it's being misreported.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                            Artem, you forgot introduce yourself.
                            Is it relevant for this discussion? Is it necessary to get personal?

By the way why you still think proprietary driver doesn't support randr? Catalyst support it for years, nVidia support it since latest beta.
                            You failed to spot the word "proper".

Just like in Windows: driver -> DirectSound/WASAPI/ASIO/etc. -> application.
                            Unlike in Windows, sound in Linux often doesn't work for dozens of applications. And I don't want to Google why this or that application is muted. It's a major f* up. Fire up Quake 2 binaries under Linux. Can you hear anything? No. So, shut the f* up.

Security issue you talking about is already resolved.
                            Nothing is yet resolved. Security in Linux is a bloody mess.

You really need to update this list and review many items. Now this looks like nothing but stupid trolling.
                            Speak for yourself. I can stand for everything that's written there. In most cases references are given, sometimes to comments at ./ rated as insightful +5 or informative +5, which means that the most intelligent geeks' crowd on the Internet endorses this document.

Please go back to l.o.r. and prove your soundness there. This is an international website and it's not a place for pesky trolling by people who are unable to argue and fail to read and understand English.

Comment

Optimus holding back Linux with OEMs? That will get sorted out, and they'll come pointing at the PCIe ASPM issue, wailing that they'll have to make their products adhere to standards. =>Not buying it.

Optimus/(insert name of AMD counterpart) could be well supported under Linux, if the ressources had been pulled together, not each company doing it in its own little sandbox. The infrastructure is coming (DMABUF, switcheroo...)the major thing holding all of this back are the closed drivers not playing nice. remember http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA1OTU ? Proprietary got their way that time.

I'm all for solutions, as long as they are technically correct (meaning scalable and usable in other places). Hack upon hack upon hack just to get something working NOW(tm) is a very bad approach.

Fire up Quake 2 binaries under Linux. Can you hear anything? No. So, shut the f* up.
                              Fire up Warcraf 2 under Windows Seven... is it playable? Not for me. Old software is outdated and using the wrong APIs/concepts, that's all there is to it.
                              As for sound in general, with Linux and the ALSA layer I have done things with my soundcard I never thought were possible, I for myself say that it is a very nice piece of software.

and FYI : slashdot isn't as good a meter as you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X