Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Intel Stalling Or Dropping Its Support Of MeeGo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Intel Stalling Or Dropping Its Support Of MeeGo?

    Phoronix: Is Intel Stalling Or Dropping Its Support Of MeeGo?

    There's been much news generated this morning concerning a report that Intel may be backing off of their support for MeeGo. I've received several emails about it, IRC messages, etc. However, I've tried to resist writing about it, as from my initial communications with various stakeholders and others, it appears that the report is largely bullshit...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg2OQ

  • #2
    Meego died when Nokia abandoned it's Linux aspirations. It's sad and unfortunate, but that's how life works out. I wish it was different.

    Now it is just kinda going along in zombie mode with people refusing to believe it has no future. Intel would do them a favor by publicly announcing they are killing all support.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm with Michael on this one (although the article was a little extreme...), there is no point in dropping a perfectly fine OS, especially when they already have around 5 MeeGo tablets shown off in several expos. And MeeGo definitely has future, because it's a free and open OS without the restrictions of Android (not even talking about WP7 here). Not to mention that so far it's the best x86 OS specifically made for tablet PCs (and Intel themselves are primarily manufacturers of x86 architecture computers). The fact that Nokia dropped it means that it could have slower progress, that's all. Plus, their last (and only?) MeeGo phone seems to be a huge success anyway.

      Comment


      • #4
        Another Microkia propaganda ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Plus, their last (and only?) MeeGo phone seems to be a huge success anyway.
          N9 was received with enthusiasm when announced (and rightfully so), but has it been actually released anywhere yet? It will not be released in US or UK (among other big markets) and the latest news I've seen, was a release announcement for $850 in Australia (very expensive). So, where are you getting this "huge success" status from?

          Comment


          • #6
            Digitimes makes more "interesting" claims regarding Intel: http://semiaccurate.com/2011/09/01/i...are-laughable/
            Maybe they know something that nobody else knows, or (as Charlie from SemiAccurate suggests) they have reasons to publish false information.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by drag View Post
              Meego died when Nokia abandoned it's Linux aspirations. It's sad and unfortunate, but that's how life works out. I wish it was different.

              Now it is just kinda going along in zombie mode with people refusing to believe it has no future. Intel would do them a favor by publicly announcing they are killing all support.
              That's been my opinion as well, for the most part, but I hope we're wrong. Moblin was a great idea and should've been a really nice touch interface. If that had really been given a bit more support and they had actually gotten some of the embedded people involved (ESPECIALLY car manufacturers) it could've been the embedded version of android except better. Once it became Meego I kinda felt like parties involved lost interest.
              Too bad, but the world is filled with these sorts of projects.

              Comment


              • #8
                What I like about MeeGo is that's it's a lot closer to a PC, it uses Qt, Wayland, that is the best parts of a PC OS, rather than an updated phone OS which is Android. Afaik with MeeGo you can use C/C++ directly, rather than getting access to C/C++ "as a bonus" sometime later as is the case with Android.
                So I'm with Michael here. But what we really want is for Intel itself to comment on these rumors.

                The fact that Nokia jumped off doesn't really matter - Intel hired the most important devs, plus the bulk of the code (the Linux kernel etc) are done by the community anyway.

                Comment


                • #9
                  intel is a large and good company. all their drivers are open sourced or almost.
                  I don't see what would be wrong with Meego, except others seeing danger, as none of the other mobile OS will go the true open-source way, except for Meego.
                  If intel ever release a chip that actually beats ARM *and* has Meego, they might win quite a bit of share, oh and they won't need no big appstore.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Intel needs some help getting Meego out the door

                    A well knows fact that Intel has never been very good at doing software and Meego exemplifies this. Intel has thrown a lot of resources at Meego, but really has very little to show for it. I wish the Linux Foundation would pick up the slack and try and market and be a little more vocal about Meego. As the Linux Foundation should be able to measure the pulse of the Linux community and steer Meego out of the corner of oblivion Intel has put it in. I personally like Meego on the netbook it boots very fast and for the most part works as advertised, Only thing is that netbooks are out of fashion. I hope Meego will sharpen its foucs on Tablets. Tough for Meego to make into phones as operators probable do not want to support this OS (Primary reason Nokia gave up on it). I think the one area Meego can thrive in is in embedded devices and vertical markets.


                    A great marketing thing will be to chang e the name of Meego too

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by balouba View Post
                      intel is a large and good company. all their drivers are open sourced or almost.
                      I don't see what would be wrong with Meego, except others seeing danger, as none of the other mobile OS will go the true open-source way, except for Meego.
                      If intel ever release a chip that actually beats ARM *and* has Meego, they might win quite a bit of share, oh and they won't need no big appstore.
                      Who cares if they release a chip that beats ARM? Meego, using Linux, will run on any CPU. Of course, making a better chip should still always be their goal as that is their primary business.

                      I'm also interested in Meego though as a Java-based Linux-software-incompatible desktop like Android is isn't my idea of fun. Now all we need is everyone to jump onto a single standardized versatile true solution package manager so it's even easier to run the same apps you do on your Linux desktop on your Linux phone as well. Pretty obvious durr idea for freedom and making Linux 1000 times awesomer.

                      Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                      Only thing is that netbooks are out of fashion. I hope Meego will sharpen its foucs on Tablets.
                      Hopefully that's your honest opinion based on real wants and not just because Apple or industry hype told you so. Someone explain to me how a tablet is any more useful than a sophisticated piece of paper like they use it for on Star Trek. What does Picard have on his desk? A laptop (netbook). Why? Try typing with both hands on a tablet without getting a kink in your neck. Laptops/netbooks have a screen you can prop up at any angle you want so you don't have to constantly be holding something upright while laying in bed for example, and they have a keyboard that you can type on while still seeing your entire screen. The latter issue can be somewhat resolved by smarter software, but the biggest problem IMO is the first.

                      The form factor just sucks for most tasks where you're relaxing or wanting to get real work done. Holding something up while trying to also do work on it is just a nightmare.

                      Quite simply, laptops/netbooks can be used as a desktop replacement if you want. Tablets can't and are more like a big phone form factor, and I don't need two phones.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                        Hopefully that's your honest opinion based on real wants and not just because Apple or industry hype told you so. Someone explain to me how a tablet is any more useful than a sophisticated piece of paper like they use it for on Star Trek. What does Picard have on his desk? A laptop (netbook). Why? Try typing with both hands on a tablet without getting a kink in your neck.
                        I couldn't agree more. The only reason tablets sold so much is Apple. They have good software, good hardware, and more hype than Lady Gaga. HP had a windows based tablet before the iPad, they spent a lot on ads, NADA. Folks spend $500 on an iPad, just to spend extra $200 on other accessories that basically turn them into an ugly laptop. The touchscreen is nice, but that's about it. Give me an ultra thin lappie with a touchscreen and I am a happy camper.

                        The old PC is dying, not because of tablets, but because of mobile products in general. Talking of which, meego can be put in cars, printers, TV's, fridges, phones, you name it. It would be pretty dumb for intel to drop it. Or to hope that Google/Android/Motorola will cut them some slack. Right.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Another thing to realize is that Intel sucks at software. They cannot be trusted at all.

                          Intel makes massive amounts of software, but they always suck. As long as you are depending on Intel to do something it will never, ever, be competitive. It's not were their competency lies.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                            Who cares if they release a chip that beats ARM? Meego, using Linux, will run on any CPU. Of course, making a better chip should still always be their goal as that is their primary business.

                            I'm also interested in Meego though as a Java-based Linux-software-incompatible desktop like Android is isn't my idea of fun. Now all we need is everyone to jump onto a single standardized versatile true solution package manager so it's even easier to run the same apps you do on your Linux desktop on your Linux phone as well. Pretty obvious durr idea for freedom and making Linux 1000 times awesomer.



                            Hopefully that's your honest opinion based on real wants and not just because Apple or industry hype told you so. Someone explain to me how a tablet is any more useful than a sophisticated piece of paper like they use it for on Star Trek. What does Picard have on his desk? A laptop (netbook). Why? Try typing with both hands on a tablet without getting a kink in your neck. Laptops/netbooks have a screen you can prop up at any angle you want so you don't have to constantly be holding something upright while laying in bed for example, and they have a keyboard that you can type on while still seeing your entire screen. The latter issue can be somewhat resolved by smarter software, but the biggest problem IMO is the first.

                            The form factor just sucks for most tasks where you're relaxing or wanting to get real work done. Holding something up while trying to also do work on it is just a nightmare.

                            Quite simply, laptops/netbooks can be used as a desktop replacement if you want. Tablets can't and are more like a big phone form factor, and I don't need two phones.

                            Sorry but you don't git it. You seem to think the tablet is a replacement for the laptop/netbook - its not. The real reason people buy tablets is that they find them very useful in places that laptops do not make sense. For instance I ride the train to work every day and can't help but envoy those people with a tablet reading a paper, magazine, or website in a very comfortable manner. My laptop goes with me to work, but its very awkward to pull it out wait a few minutes for it to power up, and try and navigate the trackpad on a bumpy train ride, then conform my body to read the screen. In another instances of usefulness beyond laptops I read where an auto insurance company gave 2000 of its claim agents these devices. They take them to where the car is, no mess no fuss fill out forms, get signatures, take pictures all from one device, with out the need of table. Of course there are more scenarios. A laptop may fit your needs, but that does not change the fact that the tablet is a great form factor for a lot of others.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                              I'm with Michael on this one (although the article was a little extreme...), there is no point in dropping a perfectly fine OS, especially when they already have around 5 MeeGo tablets shown off in several expos. And MeeGo definitely has future, because it's a free and open OS without the restrictions of Android (not even talking about WP7 here). Not to mention that so far it's the best x86 OS specifically made for tablet PCs (and Intel themselves are primarily manufacturers of x86 architecture computers). The fact that Nokia dropped it means that it could have slower progress, that's all. Plus, their last (and only?) MeeGo phone seems to be a huge success anyway.
                              N9 is not a meego phone. It has maemo/harmattan(.deb) os, API compatible with meego(.rpm)(same QT version etc.).

                              Been waiting this:
                              http://www.gadg.com/2011/08/23/lenov...ego-in-europe/
                              But lenovo site says it has windows7 :C

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X