Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Generic AMP/IPC Framework For Linux

Phoronix: A Generic AMP/IPC Framework For Linux

Being proposed by Ohad Ben-Cohen for integration into the mainline Linux kernel is a generic AMP/IPC framework. This a-symmetric multi-processing (AMP) framework with inter-process communication (IPC) integration makes it possible to control remote processors and communicate messages with these remote processors. This work is the primary target of modern SoC devices...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTYwNw

What is the relation, if any, between this and MPI?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      What is the relation, if any, between this and MPI?
      I would guess that MPI is too "heavy" for SoC devices, or otherwise unsuitable to be mixed into the kernel.

Also, I think it's meant to be "the primary targets of this work are modern SoC devices", or something similar, rather than SoC devices targetting this work.

Comment

The article should have answered that question. I wonder too why anyone needs this since there's MPI. But I guess Michael is not familiar with the topic and just copy&pasted news here, so it's up to the reader to find out what this is all about.

Comment

Asymmetric is one word, you know...

Comment

Hopefully this will make it possible to have a process where the can be different coprocessors working together without help from the main processor.
            (For as far as that is desirable of course. )

I really hope to see all kinds of advanced features with this framework.
            Go, go, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
              Asymmetric is one word, you know...
              Yes, it might be in- popular to dis- join words in this- way.

Comment

Working...
              X