Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Power Issues Continues To Bite Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    Honestly, I'm more worried that we might start to see a very significant divergence in the kernel development community. The enterprise / embedded guys might decide they want to stick with 2.6.32 indefinitely, and just keep patching it until it looks nothing like vanilla 2.6.32, and is completely unmergeable between their fork and upstream. There's definitely a large enough pool of developers chasing money-making products built off of 2.6.32, and we are starting to see a decline in significant contributions to kernel upstream.
    Honestly, I haven't noticed any of that. Stable distros have always been lagging behind. They currently use 2.6.32 because that was the most stable version during the time they started stabilizing for release.

    IF I remember correctly:

    Debian 5 uses 2.6.26 (also 2.6.31 was made available optionally)
    Debian 6 uses 2.6.32
    Next Debian will apparently use 2.6.38 (the version currently in testing)

    OpenWRT-git recently switched to 2.6.37 from 2.6.32

    Nobody knows what Google does, but at least the normal distros will switch to 2.6.37+ soon.

    Comment


    • #17
      It must be Linus's bitcoin maker.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        It must be Linus's bitcoin maker.
        LOL... but why not?? a bitcoin maker to support opensource! thats cool

        Comment


        • #19
          Thanks for your work on this Michael.

          Comment


          • #20
            Android 2.2 uses 2.6.32. Android 2.3 uses 2.6.35. Some custom kernels for AOSP ROMs are as new as 2.6.38, however. I am using a 2.6.38 kernel on my Droid Incredible, and its battery life is better than it was with 2.6.37, and many other users have said the same thing. Perhaps the battery life issue does not affect ARM?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by dotancohen View Post
              ... another 0.01% out of a server benchmark at the sacrifice of a large chunk of desktop usability. This issue is a perfect example.
              Isn't power consumption also very important for servers? Should save companies big moneys by saving some wattage here and there in all their servers / farms

              Comment


              • #22
                Unfortunately, desktop Linux is relatively neglected (in terms of testing, bug reporting, time, and focus).

                My guess is that it's probably an issue that affects desktop configurations. If it affected servers or ARM (due to clients using Linux for those applications), there's no way the kernel could have been released.

                Developers probably haven't even noticed the issue yet, as most aren't visibly affected by increased power consumption on high-powered desktops and workstations.

                I wonder... has there been discussion on the kernel devs' mailing list about this or are they waving it aside as being another case of phoronix hyping something for "ad revenue"?

                Comment


                • #23
                  With a little bit of googling I found on this website an answer to your search for an interfaceable power meter: the Watts up? PRO. It has a RS-232 interface so it should be easy to work with, the API documentation can be found here.

                  Good luck with metering!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by crumja View Post
                    I wonder... has there been discussion on the kernel devs' mailing list about this or are they waving it aside as being another case of phoronix hyping something for "ad revenue"?
                    As far as I see there's no such discussion. I don't know why Michael didn't send a message to lkml. If they don't know about this how they are supposed to fix it?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      its great that phoronix is doing this regression hunting work.

                      but. presumably Michael has managed to narrow down the range of commits in which this occurs (that is how bisecting works). if this had been posted to lkml as soon as possible then a large number of people could have got involved in hunting for the problem. and maybe it would have been fixed by now.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        USB AC/UPS switching

                        I've been working with several brands of COM/USB operated power supplies for lab purposes. From my experience lab grade equipment is great but an overkill for the purpose and quite expensive > 100$ for sure.

                        A DIY solution is to get an Arduino, connect it to a relay and control the AC input to a standard UPS. There are many online guides on the net how to get this done. For example:
                        http://www.instructables.com/id/Conn...ay-to-Arduino/
                        I used a 5V low power relay to control a coffee machine:
                        http://wirejungle.wordpress.com/2009...making-coffee/

                        * You'd want a heavy duty 16A relay like:
                        http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-kws/omron-16a-relay

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by crumja View Post
                          Unfortunately, desktop Linux is relatively neglected (in terms of testing, bug reporting, time, and focus).

                          My guess is that it's probably an issue that affects desktop configurations. If it affected servers or ARM (due to clients using Linux for those applications), there's no way the kernel could have been released.
                          clearly you have no idea about how Linux kernel development works and should stop talking as if you do.

                          Dave

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            USB Power meter

                            Originally posted by thofke View Post
                            With a little bit of googling I found on this website an answer to your search for an interfaceable power meter: the Watts up? PRO. It has a RS-232 interface so it should be easy to work with, the API documentation can be found here.

                            Good luck with metering!
                            Michael, with all of this EKOPath stuff going on right now, do not forget to check this out!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by thofke View Post
                              Michael, with all of this EKOPath stuff going on right now, do not forget to check this out!
                              I'm looking for USB. I don't even like to think about RS-232 not to mention that the systems i want to connect it to don't have such interfaces anymore (yes I know there are some adapters as well).
                              Michael Larabel
                              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                I'm looking for USB. I don't even like to think about RS-232 not to mention that the systems i want to connect it to don't have such interfaces anymore (yes I know there are some adapters as well).
                                Did you even check it out? It has an USB connector, I only meant with RS-232 that you should probably interface with it via telnet or something. My guess is that it has a RS-232 to USB adapter integrated. Better than some proprietary protocol just for Windows, right?
                                Last edited by thofke; 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X