Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Skype Protocol Was Reverse-Engineered

Phoronix: The Skype Protocol Was Reverse-Engineered

While many Linux users are upset that Microsoft's buying out Skype and that the Free Software Foundation's GNU Free Call hasn't matured much in being a reliable replacement to Skype (not all of the FSF projects move along), there is some interesting news this morning: an independent researcher has reverse-engineered the Skype protocol...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTUxOA

Glad to hear those news!

Comment

Awesome, hopefully this will mean that Skype for Pidgin can be used without Skype itself.

Comment

Eh, no mention of the guy's name?

Comment

this news rocks!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Eh, no mention of the guy's (remark: or gal's) name?
            As far as I know the DCMA allows for reverse engineering for the purpose of establishing interoperability. But maybe I am wrong, an there are legal reasons for hiding her or his name.

Comment

And there I was, thinking M$ buying Skype is the perfect opportunity to start pushing SIP. Which is pretty open, afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by dgrafenhofer View Post
                As far as I know the DCMA allows for reverse engineering for the purpose of establishing interoperability. But maybe I am wrong, an there are legal reasons for hiding her or his name.
                Since it's mentioned in the source, would be common journalism to mention it:

Hello, I'am Efim Bushmanov a freelance researcher and here is my project files on skype research.

Comment

We can't rely on reverse engineering, Skype can break current protocols at anytime...

Comment

Originally posted by Scullder View Post
                    We can't rely on reverse engineering, Skype can break current protocols at anytime...
                    This is exactly what I was thinking. We have SIP and XMPP+Jingle for sending audio and video across the Internet in an open, decentralized, standardized way. Promoting vendor lock-in and proprietary protocols just inhibits the growth of open communications.

Comment

I think a better solution is here:

https://sites.google.com/site/webrtc/

Sure being able to contact the Skype network sounds nice, but that leaves the monopoly still in control of internet telephony.

Comment

it's all about the contacts

I have dozens contacts in skype. They don't care if I use a skype client or what. They just "see me on" and ping me. Or I ping them. And then you probably talk on the phone.

Interoperability with skype at the IM level is great, because you could potentially talk to them with IM, and send a video request over google's new video over a browser thing
                        http://ostatic.com/blog/google-relea...as-open-source

You just tell them "click here to do a video call", a client that talks through the skype network could do that

Comment

First the RAR format (http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/f...rv3-extraction) and now Skype...
                          It seems the last bits of widespread proprietary protocols/file formats can be finally implemented in open source software. Hopefully we will have support for both in any standard Linux distribution next year (or maybe in two years) just like ICQ support is built-in in any chat program.

Comment

First the RAR format (http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/f...rv3-extraction) and now Skype...
                            It seems the last bits of widespread proprietary protocols/file formats can be finally implemented in open source software. Hopefully we will have support for both in any standard Linux distribution next year (or maybe in two years) just like ICQ support is built-in in any chat program.

Comment

Originally posted by Scullder View Post
                              I think that's a valid concern, but maybe they can't. I mean, there are a ton of Skype enable devices around, such as the Logitech Skype Wifi phone I have (and never use). While they can certainly make improvements to make people want to upgrade, I don't think they can abandon old protocols entirely.

In any case, I'm still looking forward to ditching Skype one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X