Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Fusion E-350 Linux Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Got my E-350 powered notebook this week and it's amazing. With the Catalyst, everything works, from suspend, to setting up external monitors through HDMI etc. although right now, I am running Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity and the opensource stack through xorg-edgers. I. LOVE. MY. NOTEBOOK.
    So, which one is it? HP dm1? BTW, what do you have to say about the CPU performance? Have you tried anything a bit more cpu-heavy?

    Comment


    • #32
      It's the Lenovo Ideapad S205. I wanted the Lenovo ThinkPad X120e but it's not avaible in Germany, and the S205 is really good aswell.

      I think AMD nailed it with the E-350, CPU/GPU performance are just what I need. The only thing that really limits my notebook a bit is the somewhat slow-ish hard drive, but with a SSD, that problem would go away also.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
        Nice

        Were you able to get video decoding acceleration using XBMC or mplayer? I think that's pretty much the only thing keeping me from a similar laptop.
        I am watching Avatar with XBMC using VAAPI over a Samba share from another computer on my Fusion notebook as we speak :-) Works fantastic!

        Comment


        • #34
          Ok, great, thanks! Sounds like a very nice laptop

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I am watching Avatar with XBMC using VAAPI over a Samba share from another computer on my Fusion notebook as we speak :-) Works fantastic!
            Which netbook are you using? I'm searching for a E-350 netbook but availability is pretty scarce right now.

            Comment


            • #36
              "Lenovo Ideapad S205"

              Scroll up 4 posts for the details.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                "Lenovo Ideapad S205"

                Scroll up 4 posts for the details.
                Oops, missed that. Thanks!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Newbie here. Sorry for the dumb question, but the technical article was Greek to me. I don't understand that "alphabet soup" of video acceleration terms.

                  I'm looking to build an HTPC using an ASUS E35M1-M PRO with AMD E-350/Hudson chipset.

                  I want to install Ubuntu rather than Windows
                  I want to run XBMC
                  No gaming - I just want to watch Blu-Ray, 1080P movies and streaming (Netflix et al)

                  Question(s): will I be able to watch HD 1080P including Blu-Ray under Linux?
                  Can I use the full acceleration capabilities of this chip? What, if any, drivers would I need to install to make this work?

                  Would it be better to just bite the bullet and install Win7?

                  Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
                    Newbie here. Sorry for the dumb question, but the technical article was Greek to me. I don't understand that "alphabet soup" of video acceleration terms.
                    You'd love the filesystem and compiler articles then

                    Originally posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
                    will I be able to watch HD 1080P
                    Probably. If you're going to buy the motherboard anyway no harm done in testing that and then reporting back how that went

                    Originally posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
                    including Blu-Ray under Linux?
                    Uh oh... Blu-Ray? Probably not. I know it's possible but not as straightforward as inserting disc and pressing play.

                    Originally posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
                    Can I use the full acceleration capabilities of this chip?
                    No. Video acceleration for AMD gpus is pretty dodgy on linux right now. If you want to try that out you should look for XVBA. I personaly never managed to make it work, but I never tried really hard.

                    Originally posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
                    What, if any, drivers would I need to install to make this work?
                    To get the most out of the GPU in the E-350 you'll probably need the FGLRX drivers, commonly known as Catalyst Drivers. Those are available on AMD's site.

                    Originally posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
                    Would it be better to just bite the bullet and install Win7?
                    For Blu-Ray/Streaming Flash 1080p probably. For everything else you should be fine with Ubuntu.

                    Originally posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
                    Thanks!
                    You're welcome.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
                      Newbie here. Sorry for the dumb question, but the technical article was Greek to me. I don't understand that "alphabet soup" of video acceleration terms.

                      I'm looking to build an HTPC using an ASUS E35M1-M PRO with AMD E-350/Hudson chipset.

                      I want to install Ubuntu rather than Windows
                      I want to run XBMC
                      No gaming - I just want to watch Blu-Ray, 1080P movies and streaming (Netflix et al)

                      Question(s): will I be able to watch HD 1080P including Blu-Ray under Linux?
                      Can I use the full acceleration capabilities of this chip? What, if any, drivers would I need to install to make this work?

                      Would it be better to just bite the bullet and install Win7?

                      Thanks!
                      If you have the motivation, look into distros other than Ubuntu. I know I probably just said something evil in these forums, but my own experience with Ubuntu on a HTPC wasn't good - you might find Arch or Gentoo (and the "fun" on playing with it) easier to fine tune to a HTPC system.
                      Of course, I haven't had an AMD Fusion system to try this out on, so your mileage may vary.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Well you can of course try Kanotix Hellfire, i even updated my fglrx script to work with 2.6.39rc1 kernel and i have got support scripts like mplayer vaapi which are tested with it. I sometimes test my scripts with U too, but not always. You may need to put some packages on hold if your distro is too new. But do not expect that h264 l5.1 will work.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by mirv View Post
                          If you have the motivation, look into distros other than Ubuntu. I know I probably just said something evil in these forums, but my own experience with Ubuntu on a HTPC wasn't good - you might find Arch or Gentoo (and the "fun" on playing with it) easier to fine tune to a HTPC system.
                          Of course, I haven't had an AMD Fusion system to try this out on, so your mileage may vary.
                          Arch / Gentoo + fglrx = a royal pain in the butt.

                          No, just no. If you go for AMD+binary drivers, at least use a supported distro, such as Red Hat or Ubuntu. Or Kanotix (because Kano is trying to make damn sure the binary drivers install cleanly).

                          If you go for open-source drivers, however, Arch or Gentoo suddenly become really beautiful.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Uh oh...here we go....
                            why is fglrx a pain in Gentoo? I don't have any issues with it. Runs perfectly fine.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by mirv View Post
                              Uh oh...here we go....
                              why is fglrx a pain in Gentoo? I don't have any issues with it. Runs perfectly fine.
                              Because you have to delay Xorg and kernel updates until a compatible blob is released.

                              It's funny. Half this forum bitches that AMD is slow to support new kernels, the other half bitches moans that they've never had such an issue.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                                Because you have to delay Xorg and kernel updates until a compatible blob is released.

                                It's funny. Half this forum bitches that AMD is slow to support new kernels, the other half bitches moans that they've never had such an issue.
                                Sorry if I'm still not understanding....but I don't see that as a problem for Gentoo, or Arch, anymore than any other distro. Often Gentoo is a bit flexible (likely Arch too - don't know, I don't use it) and the ebuilds can apply patches to work with "unsupported" kernel versions.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X