Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Free Call: A Proposed Free Phone To Skype

Phoronix: GNU Free Call: A Proposed Free Phone To Skype

The GNU Free Call project was released today. It's a project that's self described to be a new communication service to compete with Skype that is designed to be free as in freedom and free as in no cost...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIxMg

Decentralized, crypted SIP communicaton? I'm already drooling.

Comment

No doubt they will have a better name when the actual produact is released I hope...

"GNU free call" vs "skype" ya know what I mean?

or will it be known as just "freecall" which aint that bad I suppose

Comment

That sound a great idea !

Comment

okay, this is practically on par with a steam release.
          decentralized and opensource!!!

Comment

Smells like potential port forwarding hell. I hope they make it so easy like Skype.

Comment

As stated Open Source projects really need to come up with some better names. GNU Free Call... is mehhhh just call it Free Call.

Comment

I have a challenge for it:
                Work through an http proxy that only allows encrypted tcp traffic destined for port 443.

You can't really do that without relays.
                Who will provide that infrastructure? The only possibility I can think of is to have connected users serve as relays like Skype nodes.

The problem there is that you need a way to intelligently route traffic in a low-latency manner through nodes that may have questionable reliability, and the stream transmission guarantee of tcp is a major stumbling-block to that.

Comment

The project has already failed, they just don't know it yet. Why, you say? Just read the "how" section in the article.

In short, will this thing list all my friends so I can just click on "call" to talk to them? Without manual setup and user guides? Will I be able to call landlines?

Comment

To Skype or not to Skype?

Will be possible to contact a Skype user via GNU free call? AND (not OR) vice versa? if I do skype calls via facebook can I reach or be reached by a GFC user?

If the answer is no... Ekiga . Game over, Gnu Free Call .

P.S. What about IP to non-IP calls?

Comment

Best of luck to the project.

I already planned on using Sip Witch to set up a purely client-server intranet SIP env some time, that it can already do. Mesh support would make it more of a p2p app and less of a server, so I hope for these environments the p2p features can be turned off.

Also would be interesting to hear how GPG hashes of the session key avoids MITM; Zimmerman says they should be read aloud at the start, as the secure way to exchange them.

Oh also,
                      Skype users can gtfo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickup View Post
                        Will be possible to contact a Skype user via GNU free call? AND (not OR) vice versa? if I do skype calls via facebook can I reach or be reached by a GFC user?

If the answer is no... Ekiga . Game over, Gnu Free Call .

P.S. What about IP to non-IP calls?

It is possible to connect to skype user, skype already provides the API for that, both pidgin and empathy can do that with extra plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by indus View Post
                          It is possible to connect to skype user, skype already provides the API for that, both pidgin and empathy can do that with extra plugins.
                          But just for chatting. You cant make phone calls.

Comment

Why not call it "Gnu Call"?

Comment

Skype? Give me a break! Remember how everyone was rolling his eyes when being warned about potential threat to his privacy by closed crap (both software and communication protocols)? And then this:

Originally posted by http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/10/chinese-skype-s/
                              A Chinese-language version of Skype scans users’ chat messages for keywords such as "democracy," and sends a copy of the offending message to the company’s servers, according to a report released Thursday by a Canadian online human rights group.

That’s despite adamant claims by the Ebay-owned company that its software offers encrypted, safe communication.
                              Originally posted by http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2008/10/skype_admits_to_helping_china.php
                              Skype has admitted that TOM-Skype its Chinese venture co-owned with TOM Online Inc,, has been monitoring text messages for politically sensitive keywords.

They also admitted that these messages and personal user records were stored insecurely, accessible to anyone, on servers in China. The messages were encrypted, but they were stored with the key necessary to decrypt them.
                              They even pulled some soft of "independent security audit" out of their ass, but eventually the truth always reveals itself - and the truth is that they can never be trusted, because "corporate greed knows no limits when it comes to selling out other people for profit."

Not that I had anything to hide, but I definitely value my freedom (which implies right for privacy) above anything else. Good luck blowing Skype's sorry ass out of the sky as it rightfully deserves!

Comment

Working...
                              X