Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.0 Laptop Change Frustrates Some Users

Phoronix: GNOME 3.0 Laptop Change Frustrates Some Users

On a GNOME 2.x desktop if you are a laptop owner you can control what happens when you close your laptop's lid from the power management preferences whether to suspend the system or simply blank the screen. With GNOME 3.0, when you close your laptop's lid, the system will suspend and there will be no user-interface for changing this policy. It's a design decision for the GNOME 3.0 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the essence of gnome devs stupidity and the essence of gnome itself.

Comment

Gnome 3 is the biggest failure since KDE 4 on Linux desktop.

Comment

I can understand the point that they are making but thats no good idea, because my netbook perfectly suspends (intel atom system), but I do want to close it without suspending anyway. I like to suspend with the power-button. But on the other hand there is a option to change it so whats the problem, to user-infriendly? yes maybe but don?t make a to big thing of it, if you had to change the source code it would be a bigger problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dekomote View Post
          Ok, I'll bite. What was wrong with bringing KDE to the 21st century?

Comment

Troll go away and use your windows where all is great and where no bugs and perfekt interface is waiting for you

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Ok, I'll bite. What was wrong with bringing KDE to the 21st century?
              It's too glassy/glossy. It's slow with effects on. I am using FOSS radeon driver on ATI 4650 .37 kernel, and it's terribly slow. They are overdoing it with the K. The menu is useless. The plasmoids and the widgets and stuff like that are simply too MUCH! I am a coder and as much as I like the DE to be minimal, I don't want poor file managers and I want some advanced eye-candy. I use Gnome since the first day KDE4 came out and I'm satisfied. Themes look good, it's simple and beautiful. Also, QT apps in Gnome look good. Gtk apps in KDE look bad.

Comment

So by this you mean its a little ruff at first but will go on to be the greatest gui ever?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  Troll go away and use your windows where all is great and where no bugs and perfekt interface is waiting for you
                  I am not trolling. I use Linux exclusively, for personal and professional use. I use Gnome2 for a long long time now. But I don't want "netbook efficient" desktop on my 2x24" monitors! I want classic taskbar/desktop/icons/windows

Comment

That sounds like an awful decision. I'll be fine as long as there is some gconf-solution or such, but I do think new users will want to change this... Many people use their laptops as their primary computers, with torrents etc. I'm guessing they don't want to keep the laptop open just to be able to finish downloading a movie.

Comment

Working...
                    X