Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CodeLathe TonidoPlug

Phoronix: CodeLathe TonidoPlug

Last month we reviewed the Pogoplug, which was an interesting network attached storage (NAS) device that ran Linux and was unique compared to other devices on the market. Today we are reviewing a device similar to this and that is the TonidoPlug. The TonidoPlug is a low-power home server that runs the open-source Tondio software that runs Linux and costs only $99 USD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IPv6? XMPP? SMTP? POP/IMAP?

Missing:
    - IPv6 support
    - XMPP server
    - SMTP server
    - POP/IMAP server

Comment

This is just so tiny! By this rate, in a few years computers will come in the form of stamps

Comment

Still waiting for someone to make one of these things with two ethernet ports, it'd give them a whole new range of uses...

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
          Still waiting for someone to make one of these things with two ethernet ports, it'd give them a whole new range of uses...
          Plug a usb ethernet adapter into a hub.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
            Missing:
            - IPv6 support
            - XMPP server
            - SMTP server
            - POP/IMAP server
            As far I know, Sheeva Plugs and their derivatives can run Gentoo Linux, which has all of those things as options, so you can install those things yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
              Missing:
              - IPv6 support
              - XMPP server
              - SMTP server
              - POP/IMAP server
              Not hard to add, really. You can re-flash it like the PogoPlug/SheevaPlug (since it's the same thing)- but they'd imaged it with just what they're selling/supporting.

Comment

I've had a TonidoPlug for a few months now and I really like the thing. To be honest, I ended up removing their software pretty quickly and just have it as a household server. It runs squeezecenter nicely for having house-wide music, it backs up my desktop machines and serves photos. I also have it grabbing caller-id data from my PAP2 and displaying it on the squeezeboxes. Fun toy :-).

I did try and have it run pyTivo to serve video to my tivo, but it was only able to encode about 4-5 FPS with ffmpeg. Go figure :-).

Gary Godfrey
                Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
                  Somebody already has. The Guruplug+ has two gbit interfaces, esata, bluetooth, wifi + other goodies. It does however suffer from overheating and other issues. So in other words i cant really recommend one at this time. Hopefully these issues will be solved in future revisions.

Comment

Will we ever get Performance Metrics ...

...for these Marvell based devices ? I am tired of seeing simple reviews of these devices which do not even include basic NAS performance information ... Look at the size, ports, open source etc.
                    I had high hopes from Phoronix especially as the review states the Phoronix test suite runs but yet again no metrics !

Comment

Working...
                    X