Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Update On The Boot & Power Performance In Ubuntu 10.04

Phoronix: An Update On The Boot & Power Performance In Ubuntu 10.04

In December we wrote that Ubuntu 10.04 already shortened the boot time, which has been a great focus amongst Canonical and Ubuntu developers as they strive for a ten second boot. A lot has changed since that article was published last year, including the introduction of Plymouth and many kernel mode-setting improvements along with the introduction of Nouveau for NVIDIA KMS support. We've ran a new boot performance comparison on two laptops and a netbook as we see how the boot times are looking with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS when compared to Ubuntu 9.10. We have also looked at how the power consumption has changed in the Lucid Lynx for these mobile devices.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From 65'' to 21'' in one configuration? Whistles!

That said, an Intel SSD is the best way to get boot times down. 10'' boot FTW!

Comment

Would you say 10.04 alpha is stable enough for student netbook use?

Can bootchart measure resume from suspend/hibernate?

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
        Would you say 10.04 alpha is stable enough for student netbook use?
        Definitely not!

That's a good question, anyone knows?

Comment

I don't think so, AFAIK no process can run until the resume is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Definitely not!
            Why not? I've been using it for a week now and once I'm logged in it's as stable as Karmic is. The only annoying bug would be a crashing GDM, which works fine after is restores itself, and a black bootup screen instead of Plymouth. I see the logo only after some initramfs updates.

Sure, it's alpha but with Lucid that doesn't mean unstable. Just a lot of updates every day, which is fun

Comment

Originally posted by Frank-NL View Post
              Why not? I've been using it for a week now and once I'm logged in it's as stable as Karmic is. The only annoying bug would be a crashing GDM, which works fine after is restores itself, and a black bootup screen instead of Plymouth. I see the logo only after some initramfs updates.

Sure, it's alpha but with Lucid that doesn't mean unstable. Just a lot of updates every day, which is fun
              I still think the answer is NOT stable in general. For one thing, users of nvidia have reported nasty crashes right after the switch to nouveau @kubuntuforums.net, which they needed to recover from by hacking the xorg.conf in a console login. Massive upgrades of KDE have left people with a non-functional desktop for a couple days, until the upgrade was fully uploaded. Don't get me wrong, I am running a test partition of Lucid and loving it, but that's just for testing. My netbook, where I have no spare partitions to fool around, stays in Karmic for now ...

Comment

Great stuff comparing both SSD and traditional drives. Hopefully this time around I'll actually see a difference too, not just the SSD owners.

Still, I wonder what's the impact of moving installing kernel 2.6.33.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  From 65'' to 21'' in one configuration? Whistles!

That said, an Intel SSD is the best way to get boot times down. 10'' boot FTW!
                  Agreed, "I ♥ my SSD", or whatever the sticker that came with it says. When it comes to performance it's one of the best purchases I've made.

Comment

Until you hit that specific update that renders your system unbootable. In all honesty, Lucid is not production ready yet (the crashing GDM kinda hints to that, as the massive driver infrastructure updates - no fglrx, unstable nouveau, etc etc).

Agreed, "I ♥ my SSD", or whatever the sticker that came with it says. When it comes to performance it's one of the best purchases I've made.
                    So true, I went from a crappy Seagate 5400 laptop drive to an Intel X25-M and the machine suddenly became a joy to use: rapid boot, instant updates, it feels like a hamster on caffeine!

Size is not a concern either: 80GB are more than enough for Linux plus programs + music plus 3 virtual machines of your choice (or a windows+linux dual boot if you are so inclined). Add silent and cool operation and it's by far the best upgrade I've ever done!

Comment

Working...
                    X