An Update On The Boot & Power Performance In Ubuntu 10.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Great stuff comparing both SSD and traditional drives. Hopefully this time around I'll actually see a difference too, not just the SSD owners.

Still, I wonder what's the impact of moving installing kernel 2.6.33.
    Why use 2.6.33 if you use a SSD? Is that what you're asking? The 2.6.32 doesn't support TRIM and/or isn't activated so it's best to use 2.6.33 kernel if you are using a SSD which supports TRIM.

I was looking into buying a SSD for my desktop (geez, I wish I owned a modern laptop now... an SSD seems like a required purchase with one now... talk about best of all worlds!). But, the Linux support in TRIM is in infancy right now. Not really stable compared to in Windows. I still want to get one and I'd just use it in Windows and the old/current HDD for my Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      Why use 2.6.33 if you use a SSD? Is that what you're asking? The 2.6.32 doesn't support TRIM and/or isn't activated so it's best to use 2.6.33 kernel if you are using a SSD which supports TRIM.

I was looking into buying a SSD for my desktop (geez, I wish I owned a modern laptop now... an SSD seems like a required purchase with one now... talk about best of all worlds!). But, the Linux support in TRIM is in infancy right now. Not really stable compared to in Windows. I still want to get one and I'd just use it in Windows and the old/current HDD for my Linux.
      Lucid is using 2.6.32. I was just wondering if using 2.6.33 instead does anything for performance.

As for the other thing, I won't pay more than $1/GB. Nor do I afford to. So one more thing for me to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

I read that TRIM has been supported since .28, but of course there's supported and supported well. If it was disabled that makes me wonder if there was a problem with the support. The only drives out I can see that support TRIM are really expensive any way.

Comment

Working...
        X