Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS Eee PC 1201N On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    Now I just don't understand you. You replied normally and extensively to one of my posts in this thread, and in the next one you stop talking because I offended you. That's why I thought you were refering to this thread's post. If you talk to me I can't possibly imagine that you still have issues.
    It was my mistake, I admit it. But then, I spoke clearly and said that I shouldn't have begun a conversation with you at all. There was not reason for me to guess that this conversation wouldn't have the same end as that other thread's one.

    Of course I remember that other discussion, more than anything else because I got extremely irritated, and I shouldn't.
    So you accept you shouldn't but still you don't want to apologize. I don't understand this and I'm sure it's not because of my bad english.
    Except, if you mean that you shouldn't remember it instead of shouldn't got irritated.

    In any case, the worst I said was that I had wasted my time with you and implied that you were not aware of some user scenarios other than your own ("break your bubble, dude").
    Honestly, I don't understand what you mean here. Speak clearly please.

    The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure the other person involved in that thread and myself don't keep any bad feelings against each other,
    Despite he considers you as the greatest troll around these forums? But I don't really care about the feelings between you and him. I speak only for my own befalf since I'm not really eager or need to get from people, attitude I don't deserve because I just have different opinion than them about different matters.

    while you do (funny because with you it was mostly an OKish conversation).
    Exactly, if an OKish conversation can justify an insulting conclusion then I can only guess what happens with unkind ones.
    Obviously, the conversation was OKish from my part only.

    I'm not going to give you any bullshit: I would've never apologized for saying what I said by then. Now, despite that I still don't consider it to be a grave insult, I don't want to hit your wall everytime you post something. So: sorry about that one.
    Sometimes is good to overcome our egos instead of making an an apologize to seem like a favour.
    I'm not easily offended yotambien but I'm not a kid either to play with words and such and to accept childish behaviour when I speak with sense.
    The things are simple and clear. You feel you are wrong? Then you go on and apologize without the trics of the language. It's a more mature action rather than the no action at all.
    On the other hand you feel that you're not wrong? Then you don't waste your time with easily offended people.
    For sure you can not combine both cases by saying, ok I was not wrong but I still apologize while I shouldn't.
    Last edited by Apopas; 01-02-2010, 05:59 PM.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Proof of bribery is where?
      I don't have proof of this specific deal, no, you're right, and it may be coincidence, but logically I highly doubt that.

      Microsoft makes business deals all the time with vendors that try to marginalize Linux, it's part of their marketing policy to do so because Linux is a competitor, but you go on thinking if you want that normal business practices of discounts and agreements not to carry competitor's products or to bury them, among other things, doesn't happen. I can easily see it myself from my position. The only difference is those involved with these "normal" practices don't think of it as bribery, they think of it as "just business". Anything is OK if it's for money, they reason, which is somewhat easy to understand since as a business you are focused on saving money, obviously. A lot of these attempts to sell Linux are nothing more than to scare Microsoft into giving them better discounts.

      Regardless, a lot of the current vendors who sell computers with Linux are not giving proper discounts to the prices in comparison to the computers sold with Windows, and I'm really sick and tired of hearing about computers that you can only get if you pay the Microsoft tax, especially on a Linux site. Being able to pay only for what you want to use, and not being forced to pay for Windows, should be a basic freedom for consumers, yet it's sadly one that Microsoft and partners have attempted to remove. Even though Microsoft has a lot of coders, I know as I've been inside Microsoft's "campus" many times, IMO they primarily make their money from their legal prowess, lobbying, patents, and PR in general. If you haven't been living under a rock it's pretty easy to see. You think they were sent to federal court for no reason whatsoever?
      Last edited by Yfrwlf; 01-03-2010, 03:11 AM.

      Comment


      • #33
        What program is being used viewing HD-Material for ION PCs under Linux? MPlayer? Is there anything else important?

        Comment


        • #34
          @bugmenot
          SMplayer, Gnome-Mplayer and other frontends of Mplayer and VLC.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            @bugmenot
            SMplayer, Gnome-Mplayer and other frontends of Mplayer and VLC.
            Don't forget XBMC witch can take advantage of Nvidia ION GPU through vdpau !
            Last edited by mdalacu; 01-03-2010, 09:30 AM.

            Comment


            • #36
              Does anyone else installed Karmic on Asus EeePC 1201N? I have this problem: uen using Lan cable on large file transfers (smb mount 3-4GB) the laptop freezes and BIOS get reseted !
              On win7 i don't have this problem.
              Ive tested bouth x86 and x64 with 2.6.31-17 kernel and all updates.
              I don't know if my laptop is broken or not.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                @bugmenot
                SMplayer, Gnome-Mplayer and other frontends of Mplayer and VLC.
                XBMC as well, not to mention also xinelib based apps.

                Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                I don't have proof of this specific deal, no, you're right, and it may be coincidence, but logically I highly doubt that.

                Microsoft makes business deals all the time with vendors that try to marginalize Linux, it's part of their marketing policy to do so because Linux is a competitor, but you go on thinking if you want that normal business practices of discounts and agreements not to carry competitor's products or to bury them, among other things, doesn't happen. I can easily see it myself from my position. The only difference is those involved with these "normal" practices don't think of it as bribery, they think of it as "just business". Anything is OK if it's for money, they reason, which is somewhat easy to understand since as a business you are focused on saving money, obviously. A lot of these attempts to sell Linux are nothing more than to scare Microsoft into giving them better discounts.
                Sorry but pretty much EVERY business out there (including every company that contributes to linux) at one time or another offers discounts, special incentives, to gain a edge over the competition. It's no more an act of bribery then when you purchase something on sale. One can argue that companies like Canonical are doing the same practices, the only difference is that MS is a established company that does turn profit and offers a product that a vast majority of the world wants. Instead of selling the software Canonical sells their support and offers incentives based on that.

                Regardless, a lot of the current vendors who sell computers with Linux are not giving proper discounts to the prices in comparison to the computers sold with Windows, and I'm really sick and tired of hearing about computers that you can only get if you pay the Microsoft tax, especially on a Linux site. Being able to pay only for what you want to use, and not being forced to pay for Windows, should be a basic freedom for consumers, yet it's sadly one that Microsoft and partners have attempted to remove.
                So build a system yourself, or purchase a bare bones system. This is where I find it really funny that people keep forgetting this. The same group that will holler RTFM and expect people to read documentation or at least attempt reading it somehow get pissed off when pre-built systems don't offer linux as a option. If that same group would expect people to assemble the hardware for their system then it would be a non issue. Lets face it, if a person finds putting a computer system together a "hard" task then how can they expect them to deal with the complexities of setting up a properly configured linux system?

                Even though Microsoft has a lot of coders, I know as I've been inside Microsoft's "campus" many times, IMO they primarily make their money from their legal prowess, lobbying, patents, and PR in general. If you haven't been living under a rock it's pretty easy to see. You think they were sent to federal court for no reason whatsoever?
                Protecting ones own IP is nothing new. It sounds like you have more a problem with capitalism then anything else and are just picking on MS to fit the audience your writing too.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  XBMC as well, not to mention also xinelib based apps.
                  As far as I know stable Xine doesn't supprt vdpau. Am I missing something?

                  So build a system yourself, or purchase a bare bones system.
                  Come in Greece and try to buy a laptop without paying the MS tax.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    There was a xine 1.1 vdpau svn and now there is a xine 1.2 hg repository. irc.freenode.net/#xine-vdpau for more info.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      Come in Greece and try to buy a laptop without paying the MS tax.
                      If you can't buy bare bones laptops in Greece then that is a distributor problem you have in Greece and really has nothing to do with MS.

                      BTW OCZ has distributors in Greece,

                      http://www.ocztechnology.com/whereto.../europe#Greece
                      Last edited by deanjo; 01-03-2010, 10:27 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by mdalacu View Post
                        Does anyone else installed Karmic on Asus EeePC 1201N? I have this problem: uen using Lan cable on large file transfers (smb mount 3-4GB) the laptop freezes and BIOS get reseted !
                        On win7 i don't have this problem.
                        Ive tested bouth x86 and x64 with 2.6.31-17 kernel and all updates.
                        I don't know if my laptop is broken or not.

                        Anyone ? Thx!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                          If you can't buy bare bones laptops in Greece then that is a distributor problem you have in Greece and really has nothing to do with MS.

                          BTW OCZ has distributors in Greece,

                          http://www.ocztechnology.com/whereto.../europe#Greece
                          Sure it's a distribution problem. I can accuse MS for more things than their dollars but not for that. But the result is the same. We pay for MS taxes.
                          The things are simple. The hardware companies should be enforce by law, to return the windows' fee automatically and at once through the reseller. And then the reseller should ask the money from the manufacturer. This is not the case here and as far as I know nowhere. In the current situation you have to pay with your time and nervous just to take back 30 bucks for the obvious thing, while in the most of the cases you don't even get them...
                          But the worst here is that MS Hellas (Hellas = Greece) has extremely good relationships with the goverment, I have told you again about the secret agreement they had, so the things are unlikely to change.

                          Also, only one of the three shops you showed me builds systems in Greece. That's normal, because the other two builds their own which they sell with windows ofcourse.
                          Last edited by Apopas; 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Apopas
                            It was my mistake, I admit it. But then, I spoke clearly and said that I shouldn't have begun a conversation with you at all. There was not reason for me to guess that this conversation wouldn't have the same end as that other thread's one.
                            Heh, I remember once when I was a kid I had an argument with my father. I got so angry that I would not look or speak to him. That morning I went out to have a hair cut or something like that. At some point on my way back home, with my head already full of kids' stuff, I looked up and met him on the street, and I couldn't help but shout merrily "hi, Daddy!". Of course, a fraction of a second later I remembered that I was supposed to be extremely angry and that I should have never ever speak to him again, but I had just done!

                            Anyway, it appears to me that you have made your mind long ago, and now you read every single line with a magnifying glass looking for reasons that support that position. To me, a 'sorry' seems reasonable for saying that I had "wasted my time with you" and that you "lived inside a bubble". There isn't any trick in saying that back when it all happened I would've never admitted any wrong doing. There isn't any trick either in saying that I don't consider it to be a grave insult, and yet adding a 'sorry' because now I do acknowledge that it wasn't nice. I'm not sure what else you were looking for, if anything. If you don't accept this you can ignore me as you were doing (with limited success) or you can just make use of the blacklist option.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              The bad experience made me not eager to have a conversation with you. And I had told you that before. I wouldn't mind much though to answer to specific questions, but answer from conversation differs a lot. What I realized after I made my post and you answered was that we were going to have a long conversation since the matter was theoritical/philosophical. Mistake.
                              Anyway, I keep not understanding your answers. The bubble thing you said was not an insult of course and I don't remember it all, but the other one it is, in my culture at least. I suppose that's our problem finally, we consider things totally different, not only because we have different brains but because we have different cultures. I don't think you are a mean person, or one with psycological problems as have been mentioned. I just think a lot of disagreements leaded to misunderstandings. But I'll give you a friendly advice, while I believe that is possible one man to be correct and whole the other world wrong, this is not the case in general and as far as I have seen you are not liked by a good percentage of the people here. Maybe is your manner? Maybe a misconception of me? I don't know. But whatever the case just check. And because I'm the kind of person who loves simplicity and hates complexity, I'll simply say I accept your apologise.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                                The bad experience made me not eager to have a conversation with you. And I had told you that before. I wouldn't mind much though to answer to specific questions, but answer from conversation differs a lot. What I realized after I made my post and you answered was that we were going to have a long conversation since the matter was theoritical/philosophical. Mistake.
                                Anyway, I keep not understanding your answers. The bubble thing you said was not an insult of course and I don't remember it all, but the other one it is, in my culture at least. I suppose that's our problem finally, we consider things totally different, not only because we have different brains but because we have different cultures. I don't think you are a mean person, or one with psycological problems as have been mentioned. I just think a lot of disagreements leaded to misunderstandings. But I'll give you a friendly advice, while I believe that is possible one man to be correct and whole the other world wrong, this is not the case in general and as far as I have seen you are not liked by a good percentage of the people here. Maybe is your manner? Maybe a misconception of me? I don't know. But whatever the case just check. And because I'm the kind of person who loves simplicity and hates complexity, I'll simply say I accept your apologise.
                                Thank you. I assure you there were no 'tricks'. Our opinions don't differ much about this issue; after all I recognized that I wasn't nice with you about both things I said--so not much of a cultural difference. I wouldn't apologize if I didn't think you were genuinely offended and that you deserved it.

                                Back to our regular disagreements now, which are counted by the thousands!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X