Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolicloud Innovates Atop Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Phoronix: Jolicloud Innovates Atop Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Linux distributions designed specifically for use on netbooks is nothing new. Canonical produces the Ubuntu Netbook Remix version of Ubuntu for these small-sized devices, Intel has their Moblin distribution that is very fast and offers an attractive interface, gOS has their own netbook distribution, Linpus has QuickOS, and the list goes on. One of the newest netbook distributions coming around is Jolicloud, which is based upon Ubuntu Netbook Remix and is self-described as a cool new OS for your netbook. Jolicloud is focused upon building an OS around the web and one that merges open-source and the open web.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i will be happy to try this distro on my MSI Wind U100. And i hope it will grow much more than netbook remix in design concepts. Current design and system behavior of netbook remix is very uncomfortable compared to moblin.

Comment

Jolicloud is focused upon building an OS around the web and one that merges open-source and the open web.
      I think you meant to say:
      "Jolicloud is focused upon building an [proprietary] OS around the web and one that merges open-source and the open web"

Comment

I've tried jolicloud and while it was easy to download certain apps you can't load them from within the jolicloud gui and instead load them through the ubuntu remix gui. So basically (unless its changed in the past month) jolicloud is a fancy "add/remove applications?"

On a side note, I've really wanted to like all the netbook distros including moblin and ubuntu remix, but they all felt under powered or bloated. Moblin ran great on my dell 9 quick boot and quick response times, it however doesn't come with any apps in the repo. Ubuntu remix on the other hand has plenty of apps but it felt slow on my netbook. So I now run Fedora on it which is nice and snappy, but doesn't have a nice interface for a small screen. I'm hoping the Fedora version of Moblin comes out soon!

Comment

Jolicloud is the only 'made-for-netbook' distro that allowed everything on my netbook to function out_of_the_box. Go figure. Defiantly the fastest distro not named Moblin. But the craziest thing is that they have a rockin' linux kernel that has all RT enabled features needed for musicians. A Jolicloud RT kernel in addition to whatever Ubuntu(Studio) stuff you would like makes this a VERY cool distro with expansion to a music studio if you like. Major props!

Brian Clem

Comment

At first I thought they would use something like jolie (http://www.jolie-lang.org/) but that was clearly wrong, it's just another minor change to ubuntu-netbook-remix... ???

Comment

Working...
            X