Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 0.7.1 Brings Linux Network Love

Phoronix: NetworkManager 0.7.1 Brings Linux Network Love

It has been in the works for a while, but Red Hat has finally released the NetworkManager 0.7.1 update. This point update to the wonderful NetworkManager 0.7.0 brings support for more mobile broadband devices and mobile phones, works with more WiFi and wired network devices, compatibility fixes, reduced wake-ups to conserve power, WiFi strength corrections, Bluetooth improvements, support for custom IPv4 settings with mobile broadband devices, and various other fixes too. The NetworkManager 0.7.1 release can be downloaded off GNOME.org...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzIxMA

"wonderful NetworkManager 0.7.0"... wonderful? I would call this only remotely wonderful if the fucking crap shit would finally work (1) properly with wired networks and (2) with OpenSwan ( aka _real_ IPSec implementations ). And of course if you could finally shut down your WiFi without having to reboot your machine or manually unloading the module.

A shame that nowadays Linux is still _not_ able to provide a working network management solution. Come on folks, we've got OO and what the fuck else but you can't do proper network managers? Jeez U.=.U

Comment

NM works great here. Applet, dbus, user-friendly interface - it's the solution for the networking part of Linux.

While OOo continues to look like crap and work on AA in the year of 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        "wonderful NetworkManager 0.7.0"... wonderful? I would call this only remotely wonderful if the fucking crap shit would finally work (1) properly with wired networks and (2) with OpenSwan ( aka _real_ IPSec implementations )...
        (3) with PPPoE.

Comment

Will this make it into Jaunty? I guess not.

Would be nice, as I'm sharing internet over bluetooth and clicking would be far preferable to constantly re-entering stuff in the terminal. Especially as it likes to drop dead every now and then.

Comment

@dammarin
            you could search in packages.ubuntu.com for network-manager and you would see that there is already version 0.7.1 RC4. So it will be included.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ty&section=all

@Dragonlord
            you are right, how can this piece of software have problems with so many fundamental things like connect to a static wired network? They should fix those things.

Comment

wicd works great for me

wicd is easy to use, while nm is a little bit too clever for me.

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              "wonderful NetworkManager 0.7.0"... wonderful? I would call this only remotely wonderful if the fucking crap shit would finally work (1) properly with wired networks and (2) with OpenSwan ( aka _real_ IPSec implementations ). And of course if you could finally shut down your WiFi without having to reboot your machine or manually unloading the module.

A shame that nowadays Linux is still _not_ able to provide a working network management solution. Come on folks, we've got OO and what the fuck else but you can't do proper network managers? Jeez U.=.U

Comment

NetworkManager, like many new Linux desktop technologies is half baked and lacks basic functionality. Just like many softwares the developers jump on to more interesting things before they can even begin to outshine the networking capabilities of windows 95.

Comment

NM works fine here.

Why is everyone bashing opensource projects all the time. If you have something to complain about, correct it yourself or startup a new project? Remember they are doing everything for free, so you can use it without paying anything.

Wait some time an NM will be better, I'm sure of that. Even if you don't help them out with current bugs ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hohlraum View Post
                    NetworkManager, like many new Linux desktop technologies is half baked and lacks basic functionality. Just like many softwares the developers jump on to more interesting things before they can even begin to outshine the networking capabilities of windows 95.
                    You just get apps earlier and that's good, because you don't have to wait for 'real' v1.0 etc.

Comment

Ya getting dozens and dozens of network devices and topologies and everything all working in one system without much vendor support isn't like hard or anything is it?

Comment

Network Manager is a shitload better then anything I've ever seen or used in Windows and it is better then what I've personally experienced in OS X.

I mean seriously... if you look at the utter clusterfuck that is Windows wireless and then tell me that Network-Manager sucks then you just have no clue what your talking about.

Seriously. Can anybody here dogging on Network-Manager can even tell me what Network Manager's dispatcher is for??

(Becuase if they did then they would never have a issue with say... something as simple as configuring a ipsec tunnel to work with NM)

And you all are complaining about wired network support?! Hell it's always had perfect ability to aquire a DHCP address, even in it's shitty-as-fuck early days.

As far as static IP address...
                        A. If your trying to use network manager on a server your a moron. It's a 'NETWORK' 'MANAGER'. It's designed to manage connecting to networks. Networks as in plural networks, multiple networks, networks that you connect to as more then one, as in something you don't do with a server.

B. If your on a network with no DHCP server then:
                        1. Let the autoconfig stuff work so that the system will automatically give itself a ip address and just automagically work with other self-addressing machines on your network.
                        or
                        2. Use the existing functionality in each and every single linux distribution out there and configure the network interface with a static IP address. Same way it's been done for centuries.

And if Network Manager tries to fight that configuration, file a bug. With the Linux distributions I use Network-manager completely fucks-off when I configure a static configuration.

---------------------

Oh. And for the record, Network Manager is perfectly capable of doing and remembering static configurations for both wireless and wired networks.

-------------------------------

Here is some examples of how much network manager 'sucks'

1. It automatically is able to not only allow me to join multiple wireless networks, but networks with different levels and different types of security.

2. It not only is able to do that, but it is able to remember the configuration and generate such configurations on the fly.

3. When I am running a VM in Network Manager the virtual ethernet switch for my virtual network of virtual machines are able to connect, on the fly, to the internet through any network interface I happen to be using at the time. It just 'goes'.

Why? How? Because NM works with the routing iptables for my VM and dynamically configures them for each network.

4. My 3G phone 'just works' with Linux.

It's worth noting that:

PPPD and chat scripts DO NOT work correctly with the phone. It _can_, but that puts my phone into 'gimp mode' with basically crippled network performance.

To tether my 3G phone I need to have something that communicates with a serial connection to do settings and configurations and then connect to the network using the virtual ethernet 'usb0' device.

This 'just works' with Network Manager. Zero configuration, no scripts, no fucking around with sniffing Windows ppp connections to figure out how to configure the stupid thing. It 'just works'.

5. Once connected to 3G or through local ethernet network I can setup my laptop as a wireless access point through the use of Ad-hoc network configurations.

It just takes a few clicks of the mouse and then I can share the connections with anybody around me.

Usefull for those 'off site' meetings used to get out of the office early.

6. I do not need to use a root account (either through su, logging in as root, or sudo) to use it.

Get that?

It _does_not_require_root_password_.

Instead the applet that I use interacts with the deamon through DBUS and access can be regulated and controlled via Policykit, if I so desired. (useful for corporate laptops).

This means that instead of having to open a terminal, or run a entire GUI program as root under my user account (as would happen with gksu or gksudo) I just can configure my machine to work with almost any network, on the fly, without passwords, in a very safe and secure manner.

This results in better security. Instead of having thousands of lines of code running as root under the control of my user account I have a single dbus connection from my user's bus to the systems bus.. a system which is much easier to monitor and harden against potential threats in a multiuser environment.

8. I can plug in a USB ethernet adapter or USB wireless adapters and have it 'just work' with Network Manager. No reconfiguring, no worrying about if something is going to show up as 'wlan0' or 'wlan1' or whatever. None of that. It _just_works_.

(oh, and same thing happens with PulseAudio and USB audio devices... I can even transfer sound from one device to another as the application is running with no fits or pauses.)

9. etc
                        10. etc
                        11. etc

--------------------------------

So ya. Network Manager is a huge half-baked pile of shit.

Only this pile of shit is more user friendly, better designed, easier to secure, has more capabilities, wider hardware support, and is easier to extend through simple if-up/if-down scripts, then any other mobile network management tool avialable for any other OS anywere.

I challenge you to tell me a single tool that comes remotely close to that.

Yes this pile of shit, with a single small applet interface in the systray, is is able to do more in Linux then a entire army of network configuration tools (each hardware-specific wireless manager shittier then the next) and dozens of screens of wizards in Windows and works with much more hardware, in more different circumnstatces then what is avialable in OS X..

Ya, go ask how well those OS X users that purchased Ralink devices like their little network tool...

So Network MAnager isn't perfect and isn't everything to everybody. Nothing is and nothing else comes as close. So stuff it. If you don't like it, nobody is forcing anybody to use it and it is trivially easy to disable in any Linux distributions if you know anything about how init scripts work and the related tools in your distros.
                        Last edited by drag; 04-17-2009, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                          Ya, go ask how well those OS X users that purchased Ralink devices like their little network tool...
                          Heh, I happen to know a lot of them (myself included) and never have heard a real complaint against it.

Comment

@drag

I agree with every word you said. I've never had problems with Network Manager, and I really like it's simplicity of configuring networks.

But I miss the "Scan for WLAN" option. I _really_ miss it, because that forces me to scan for wifi in terminal. Yes, NM automatically scans for networks, but this happens too rare. It would be a really nice feature to be able to manually scan for networks.

I am sure that network manager daemon has this ability, because somehow applet must request the available network list from the daemon. So, applet should just have the button which will call the function for scanning for available networks. This function has to exist because applet calls it when it desires to scan for network. I think that implementing such button should take only 10 minutes for people who have experience in NM applet programming, but could ease the usage of NM a lot, especially to the Linux newbies.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                              Heh, I happen to know a lot of them (myself included) and never have heard a real complaint against it.
                              However, Linux and Windows have much better wi-fi support then Macos.

Comment

Working...
                              X