Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Moblin V2 Alpha 2: It Boots Even Faster!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Moblin V2 Alpha 2: It Boots Even Faster!

    Phoronix: Intel Moblin V2 Alpha 2: It Boots Even Faster!

    Back in January Intel had pushed out its first alpha release for Moblin V2. This Intel-optimized Linux distribution targeting systems with Intel Atom hardware was quite unique and offered a number of advantages for being a netbook-oriented operating system. Particularly special about Intel Moblin V2 was its boot-time, which was extremely fast when using a Solid-State Drive. Intel has now put out a second alpha release for Moblin V2, which we are briefly exploring today.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13623

  • #2
    I think we have Vista to thank for Intel's strong interest and push for Linux.

    Let's just hope that Windows 7 won't run on XP class hardware.

    Comment


    • #3
      It's just a pity it doesn't run on my Eee 701

      Comment


      • #4
        Am I the only one to consider boot times useless? I can't even remember when I've shut down my laptop anymore. I just close the lid and it suspends.

        Wasted effort IMO.

        Comment


        • #5
          @RealNC:
          yeah, you might be.

          Not all of us have hardware that has perfect suspend/resume support. Like my Aspire One. Some distros suspend and don't wake up (openSUSE). Some suspend and wake fine, but have issues with attached devices such as the SD card slot(s) (such as Arch and I think Ubuntu 8.10, don't recall).

          It might be fixed by now (or not), but my Thinkpad T60 had issues waking from suspend as well. In Windows XP and plenty of Linux distributions, the graphics chipset (using Catalyst/fglrx) wouldn't come back properly.

          So, yeah, boot times are important. Would I rather see work on better suspend/resume support? Sure. But if that's not getting top billing, then I'm more than happy to see boot times get sliced.

          Comment


          • #6
            @puelocesar

            Did you try? It basically runs on much more systems than specified.

            Comment


            • #7
              @RealNC:

              Battery life doesn't lasts forever.. Suspend/Resume is just a workaround for the slow boot time problem, but not a solution. I would rather have fast/instant boot times then workarounds like suspend

              And IMO that thing of letting computers ON all the time is a *HUGE* waste of energy. You people that do this have ever stopped to think on the energetic/environmental problems that this causes?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kano View Post
                @puelocesar

                Did you try? It basically runs on much more systems than specified.
                Well.. they say it doesn't work because it's not an SSSE3 capable processor (Celeron M)

                From the requirements page:

                * CPU: Intel Atom or Intel(r) Core(tm) 2 CPU (support for SSSE3)
                Note: Moblin will not work on non-SSSE3 CPUs
                Last edited by puelocesar; 03-25-2009, 12:42 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well there are Celeron-M with SSE3, did you check?

                  grep -o sse3 /proc/cpuinfo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
                    @RealNC:

                    Battery life doesn't lasts forever.. Suspend/Resume is just a workaround for the slow boot time problem, but not a solution. I would rather have fast/instant boot times then workarounds like suspend

                    And IMO that thing of letting computers ON all the time is a *HUGE* waste of energy. You people that do this have ever stopped to think on the energetic/environmental problems that this causes?
                    No, because suspend to disk doesn't consume energy. It shuts down completely. It then resumes from the image saved on the swap partition.

                    People do this on Windows. It's too useful to live without, even if Windows has very fast boot times. Fast booting is a workaround for suspend bugs, NOT the other way around.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Well there are Celeron-M with SSE3, did you check?

                      grep -o sse3 /proc/cpuinfo
                      Well, based on the comments on Moblin site apparently not:
                      http://moblin.org/documentation/test...ge#comment-152

                      (i'm not with my eee right now)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                        No, because suspend to disk doesn't consume energy. It shuts down completely. It then resumes from the image saved on the swap partition.

                        People do this on Windows. It's too useful to live without, even if Windows has very fast boot times. Fast booting is a workaround for suspend bugs, NOT the other way around.
                        Oh, you were talking about suspend to disk.. Well, I only saw this working one time on my entire life, so I presumed nobody used it, sorry..

                        I think the very concept of boot we have now is flawed. If we had a SSD that had the same size of our RAM, and computers where designed* to save the RAM on this SSD when you shutdown (or from time to time in case of power failure), and then just restored it on boot, it would be much better IMO.

                        * designed is very different from adapted (as suspend to disk is today)
                        Last edited by puelocesar; 03-25-2009, 01:29 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Anybody know where to get the ISO? I got one of the alpha 1 release, so I know they're out there, but I couldn't find a link for it on the Moblin site.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
                            Oh, you were talking about suspend to disk.. Well, I only saw this working one time on my entire life, so I presumed nobody used it, sorry..

                            I think the very concept of boot we have now is flawed. If we had a SSD that had the same size of our RAM, and computers where designed* to save the RAM on this SSD when you shutdown (or from time to time in case of power failure), and then just restored it on boot, it would be much better IMO.

                            * designed is very different from adapted (as suspend to disk is today)
                            It takes a bit of work, but I have hibernate support working correctly on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 6000, Ubuntu 8.4, and now 8.10). It did take a bit of work, but eventually I convinced it to function. The only real downside to it, which prevents me from using it more often is that the hard drive in the machine is so slow to save the RAM to disk that it might actually be faster to shutdown/reboot than hibernate the machine.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mdmadph View Post
                              Anybody know where to get the ISO? I got one of the alpha 1 release, so I know they're out there, but I couldn't find a link for it on the Moblin site.
                              http://moblin.org/documentation/test-drive-moblin
                              Michael Larabel
                              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X