Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Suggestions...

Hello all:

I just returned an ASUS X83Vm-X1 due to some issues with Linux (I tried Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10 and Fedora 10). The first issue was that when I used a liveCD it would boot, but then after a few seconds to a minute the DVD drive would not respond. (forget the specific messages).

I am now in the hunt for a laptop that will run Linux without major headaches and would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks,
    indigo196

I currently run a Dell Latitude E5400 that I got a month or two ago and it runs Linux without major headaches. It runs nicely with Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora except for suspending to RAM and disk. I run OpenSUSE 11.1 on it and it does suspend to RAM but not disk.

Comment

Originally posted by MU_Engineer View Post
      I currently run a Dell Latitude E5400 that I got a month or two ago and it runs Linux without major headaches. It runs nicely with Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora except for suspending to RAM and disk. I run OpenSUSE 11.1 on it and it does suspend to RAM but not disk.
      Great to hear... what hardware did you choose for your wireless?

Comment

The stock card is a Broadcom BCM4312 (Dell 1397) and as far as I can tell, it works with OpenSUSE and the proprietary Broadcom STA drivers with my WPA2-encrypted AP at home. Those same drivers got it to work under Ubuntu 8.10 with my home AP, but at school with WPA2 PEAP (MSCHAPv2) APs, the card would cause the computer to kernel panic as soon as the card connected to the AP. I'm on break and won't be able to tell if I'll see the same problems with OpenSUSE and the same card and drivers.

I did grab an Intel 3945 from a dead laptop and also put that in my laptop. Almost all newer laptops have a second mini-PCIe slot for a cell modem and I simply stuck the 3945 in there and hooked up the cell modem's antenna jacks to the 3945. The 3945 has crappy signal strength compared to the BCM4312 but I know it works with the goofy encryption at school and use it as a backup if needed. I currently have iwl3945 blacklisted to see if the BCM4312 by itself works because I'd rather use the BCM4312 due to its much better reception.

Comment

Sorry to interrupt. Can anyone give a review on Intel wireless 5100 in Linux. I'm mostly interested in the 5100 since if it works, the 5300 will work. But, some say the 5100 wifi chip is just a rebranded Intel 4965agn chip and that it's not any good. The signal is weak and the data able to be transferred is only 300 Mbps v.s. 450 Mbps for the 5300 (i.e. bandwidth comparison). Also, that you can use an extra antenna with the 5300.

I just want to know whether the link/signal quality is acceptable and if anyone has that wifi card and uses Linux whether you're satisfied with it.

I suppose you only see the differences with wireless-n routers but I was curious about the quality of connection and whether there is any significant difference.

Comment

With all the 5100 cards I have used I have never gotten about 60mb... I have no experience with the 5300s

Comment

Originally posted by indigo196 View Post
              With all the 5100 cards I have used I have never gotten about 60mb... I have no experience with the 5300s
              Please elaborate. I am confused of what you're saying. Sorry.

You never got above 60MB? Of data transfer speed or?

Comment

Working...
              X