When Will UT3 For Linux Be Released?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
    This says more about an apparent lack of familiarity with FPS on your part than it does about "hitscan" supposedly not being widely used.

You prove the exception obviously, but any FPS player knows what hitscan is. Lightning Gun, Rail Gun, most "bullet" firing guns in about any game (especially older ones) save stuff like Armed Assault or Stalker. It's stuff that isn't projectile based, which is to say not rockets, plasma balls, grenades or balistically modelled bullets that you have to lead with. And people in this thread are not making up that meaning for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitscan <- altar of immutable truth
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hitscan
    http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Hitscan
    http://nikon.bungie.org/bwu/index.html?item=182

But what the hell am I posting links for? Google is available to anyone.
    Umm I have been playing FPS since back in the Amiga days and I have never heard of Hitscan...

Comment

• Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
      I'm not sure how good that news is. It is good that they intend to eventually release it. Epic has burned a whole lot of bridges with their mishandling of the situation. I remember how pissed off I got at Bioware after only a month of no client after going out and purchasing a copy of NWN on release day.
      Even then Bioware handled that so much more gracefully with regular status updates.

Comment

• Maybe icculus is working on many things at once and he wasn't as contractually in a hurry for UT 3 as for others (I am guessing according to his impressive list of ports from his resume). Whenever the port is gonna come, I'm happy and I just wish for top notch porting quality, i.e. achievable highest quality settings on Linux and bug-free play.

Comment

• Originally posted by geamandura View Post
          Maybe icculus is working on many things at once and he wasn't as contractually in a hurry for UT 3 as for others (I am guessing according to his impressive list of ports from his resume). Whenever the port is gonna come, I'm happy and I just wish for top notch porting quality, i.e. achievable highest quality settings on Linux and bug-free play.
          Same here, the time it has taken is like a very bad movie but i hope as well that they take a little more time and release a quality port, after all what is the point of rushing it now after so long. at least this is an update....

Comment

• Originally posted by geamandura View Post
            Maybe icculus is working on many things at once and he wasn't as contractually in a hurry for UT 3 as for others (I am guessing according to his impressive list of ports from his resume). Whenever the port is gonna come, I'm happy and I just wish for top notch porting quality, i.e. achievable highest quality settings on Linux and bug-free play.
            Ryan's a busy guy. Heh... I don't do half as much as he does and I'm busy myself.

Odds on, when the middleware fubar occurred, things pretty much went to hell in a handbasket on him and Epic. In this case, it's not that Ryan's incapable- typically, the man could sort out a mess like this in a couple of months' time if he was doing it as paid work and was fully focusing on it... This delay's...unusual for him and I don't think it's really in his court on this one.

Comment

• maybe never????

Comment

• I still think it's a conspiracy, involving Microsoft, Ryan, a secret soviet society and an alien...

Comment

• Nah, it's just a publicity stunt.

Comment

• How cool is this… Phoronix is reporting that Epic’s Linux/Mac guy, Ryan Gordon, has confirmed that there will infact be a Linux client for Unreal Tournament 3 at launch. It won’t be on the media in the box, but it can be downloaded from their site for free and you just pop the Windows version of the game in the drive to play.

Also worth noting is that the client will be optimized for multi-core machines and the UnrealEd software they ship for map editing is already build using the cross platform C++ widget library wxWidgets; making a port to Linux even easier.
                    =====================================
                    anna

sales lead scoring
                    CD Printing

Comment

• Originally posted by anna2008 View Post
                      SPAM
                      I dont get it?
                      Last edited by pfunkman; 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pfunkman View Post
                        I dont get it?
                        Turn on your internal SPAM filter... It'll flunk that post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                          Turn on your internal SPAM filter... It'll flunk that post.
                          I see now, Thanks.

Comment

• If the game finally gets released, what exactly should the community do? I'd say ignore it, but that could be interpreted as there's no interest for their games; on the other hand, if you buy it, you're showing support for the product, but you may also be saying that you'll buy anything no matter how later/crappy. Am I over thinking this, or is a realistic scenario?

Comment

• It's called the choice between a dog's or a cat's turd :/

Comment

• Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                                I still think it's a conspiracy, involving Microsoft, Ryan, a secret soviet society and an alien...
                                That is completely stupid. Everybody knows aliens use Plan 9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs

Comment

Working...
                                X