Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Will UT3 For Linux Be Released?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Odin View Post
    UE3, yes. But this game also uses PhysX and we don't know about any legal restrictions regarding this technology.
    PhysX is licensable for Linux and is purportedly still supported (If it wasn't something along those lines, you can worry about NVidia support for Linux as well- they own that framework now...).

    btw. is there any one participating in the ut3-mailinglist?
    Not myself. Got too many other irons in the fire that produce real results.

    Comment


    • I know about nvidia's buy of PhysX, but I wasn't sure about the legal situation. Thanks for that info.

      hmm what's with Gamespy? Could that be the reason for not having a linux client right now?

      Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Not myself. Got too many other irons in the fire that produce real results.
      I'm tinkering with the idea of leaving this mailinglist. But I want to get updates as soon as possible... ^^

      Comment


      • Game-Spy is a rather tricky devil to have in your project. Beware of them. And UT3 is pregnant with this shit so this is most probably a problem. What goes for PhysX it's anyways gonna die. nVidia puts this all into CUDA so it's deprecated soon anyways. But the reason for UT3 to not go Linux is in my opinion more the drama that went down over the course of the last year.

        Comment


        • PhysX is going to die? Are you sure? There are some quite nice effects which are nearly impossible to be managed by the CPU itself, but with an extra nVidia-Card you could increase the framerate dramatically.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Odin View Post
            PhysX is going to die? Are you sure? There are some quite nice effects which are nearly impossible to be managed by the CPU itself, but with an extra nVidia-Card you could increase the framerate dramatically.
            If you can do what PhysX does and more in either CUDA or OpenCL and not need the extra API doing it, it might just do that. No need. I'd prefer people used OpenCL if it's easy enough to use- it seems pretty much everyone that's important is exposing GPGPU functionality that way.

            Comment


            • Maybe this is a good time to ask ryan gordon if he's gonna port the ut3 titan pack to linux too. And if he is actually correct in saying that theres no conspiracy.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                If you can do what PhysX does and more in either CUDA or OpenCL and not need the extra API doing it, it might just do that. No need. I'd prefer people used OpenCL if it's easy enough to use- it seems pretty much everyone that's important is exposing GPGPU functionality that way.
                Actually when your running PhysX on a nvidia card you are using Cuda. Nvidia ported the PhysX libraries to Cuda when they purchased Ageia. No Cuda = No PhysX on the GPU.

                Comment


                • Is NVidia going to keep Cuda around being a member of the OpenCL collaboration? I Know they've already put work into porting PhysX to Cuda, but would it make sense to have it for OpenCL?

                  Comment


                  • Definitely it would make sense especially if others jump on the physics on GPU bandwagon. Better have one API from the very beginning than 3 ones imcompatible with each other.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                      Definitely it would make sense especially if others jump on the physics on GPU bandwagon. Better have one API from the very beginning than 3 ones incompatible with each other.
                      DirectX, OpenGL and Glide all over again? No thanks...

                      At any rate, OpenCL will have competition on its own, now that it has been publicly admitted Microsoft will be implementing a GPGPU API within the DirectX stack (DirectX 11 time-frame, IIRC), and that will tilt the balance towards it in the end (we have already seen the effects of DirectX as a multimedia-interactive API [locked-in] thanks to Microsoft's flexing their monopolistic muscle)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X