Quake Wars Performance Across Distros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    do yourself a favour and forget that 1000Hz ever existed. 300Hz is a much better choice.
    agreed. for most people 1k is overkill

Comment

Why should we?

Comment

who are you asking and what?

Comment

do yourself a favour and forget that 1000Hz ever existed. 300Hz is a much better choice.
          Yeah, I get that feeling too. I also do pro audio so having 1000hz compiled enables me to not have to boot into RT so it serves a dual purpose.

Comment

Also, if anyone wants the demo I used I put it up on Sendspace. http://www.sendspace.com/file/luf8wi

Comment

you could still try 300 it has the advantage of being more fine grained than 100 and a lot less overhead than 1000.

Comment

you could still try 300 it has the advantage of being more fine grained than 100 and a lot less overhead than 1000.
                It makes a difference when you're working on an audio project that has 50 tracks going at the same time. On 1000hz I can get my latency down further than I could on 300. I can mix on 300 but not record. I also haven't seen that much of a negative impact considering I mostly just use my system for browsing and writing papers when I'm not doing audio work.

Comment

who are you asking and what?
                  Why 1000 should be bad.

Comment

context switch overhead. Reduced IO performance. A lot of other stuff.

Comment

context switch overhead. Reduced IO performance. A lot of other stuff.
                      Look at my other benchmarks above, especially on the RT kernel which is essentially an extreme version of cranking up the HZ - albeit a really useful one. Basically the tradeoff is that you get a much more responsive system at the cost of throughput. For my specific case it's worthwhile but I'd imagine for 99% of desktop users voluntary preemption and 300 works great. I can't really tell the difference on a server kernel with no preemption at 100hz on a good multicore processor anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X