Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Games Are Most Important To You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Unfortunately, all the titles you mention that you want don't USE Unigine that I know of.
    I'm just saying that just because it's a new or last-gen engine doesn't mean it's automatically 6-digit figures. I assume Epic and id get away with it because they're popular/well known (or Unigine isn't all its cracked up to be, but the demos are pretty impressive none-the-less).

Still might be a good idea to keep an eye on the listed titles, though. Quite a few are as yet unnamed/unanounced, with more not currently listed due to NDAs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Julius View Post
      Back on Topic:

Savage2
      Sauerbraten
      Battle for Wesnoth
      FretsonFire

ET:QuakeWars too but I have not really played that much lately.

Is there still anyone playing Quake4 MP? Haven't checked in ages.
      I play vanilla quake4 mp somewhat regularly. Theres usually 2 or 3 servers for DM / TDM, and several others for Freezetag, which i dont like. There are many more servers but most of them are usually empty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I'm just saying that just because it's a new or last-gen engine doesn't mean it's automatically 6-digit figures. I assume Epic and id get away with it because they're popular/well known (or Unigine isn't all its cracked up to be, but the demos are pretty impressive none-the-less).

Still might be a good idea to keep an eye on the listed titles, though. Quite a few are as yet unnamed/unanounced, with more not currently listed due to NDAs.
        I'm keeping an eye on it once you reminded me about the engine. Nothing on the official list yet- but, still, you never know in this silly business. I didn't think anyone would be resurrecting the good stuff from Interplay like GoG has done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post

iD an Epic get away with those sums because of the support they offer and apparently the engines are extremely easy to work with. It's not just the features the end users get to see that count (think gimp to photoshop, they both have a similar feature set- photoshop costs a lot but is easier to work with (or so I'm told, I have no talent for art and so have never used photoshop :P)).

Comment

• I'm sure some of these were mentioned, but I'd like to make sure Introversion's first 3 titles get mentioned: Uplink, Darwinia, and Defcon. All truly excellent, and incredibly atmospheric (especially Uplink, and Defcon).

Comment

• A few days ago, I re-installed Cold War on my machine, and been hooked. I had forgotten how good this game actually is! , so it gets another mention from me

Comment

• I don't know about Cold War. I only played a little of that from the demo. And then the demo always froze my Linux box. From what I've seen, I'm not very impressed. In fairness, I only got through like a few minutes of the demo.

Comment

• The gameplay takes a few minutes to getting used to. Reminds me a bit of Deus Ex, though it is more like Metal Gear Solid (alas, the main character lacks all the fancy stuff and moves, which makes it kind of appealing)

Comment

• It seemed like a real watered down version of Splinter Cell. Lord knows I've been through multitudes of mediocre stealth action games. From what I saw, I was not going to try to work through all the kernel panics and game freezing to play it.

Comment

• Heroes of Might and Magic III
                      Quake III
                      Wine
                      and also the ones I forgot

Comment

• Jagged Alliance 2
                        • Doom 3
                        • ScummVM
                        • Neverwinter Nights
                        • Wine
                        • Smaller games like SuperTux for distraction
                        • Celestia not a game, but great fun nonetheless!
                        I used to play the native Linux port of Jagged Alliance 2 quite a lot, until it stopped working due to closed source bit-rot. So, if truth be told, I resorted to dual-booting and sometimes Wine to play the current v1.13 mod of the game.

Comment

• Well just joined so thought I would add In no particular order:

UT
                          UT2k4

Come on Epic I'm STILL WAITING
                          Had to have a dig sorry mods/admins

Quake3 + TA
                          STV:Slite force
                          Serious Sam 1 & 2
                          Freespace 2
                          Doom3 + ROE
                          ET:QW (Just bought after finding they do native client, I'm hooked on it now)
                          Nexuiz
                          Alien arena
                          Prey demo (Just trying it at the mo)
                          Chromiun (Very addictive)
                          Forsaken (Only found this the other week that its Ported/working on linux)

Theres a few I didn't realize had ports from this topic

X2 demo Had a look on egosoft.com seems very good game but the demo just seg faults
                          X3 looks v nice also when its done.(you may have a another fan if I can get it to work...)
                          From what I've seen It reminds me of X-com/freespace2. both I liked

C&C Generals Has a installer but I believe it requires wine.No Multiplayer though

Pete

Comment

• Savage 2

They ship a native 64bit version, and, you can alt+tab out of the game just fine in fullscreen mode!

which is something amazing, 99% of the open-source games aren't even able to accomplish that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                              Savage 2

They ship a native 64bit version, and, you can alt+tab out of the game just fine in fullscreen mode!

which is something amazing, 99% of the open-source games aren't even able to accomplish that.
                              I may be wrong, but I do believe that task-switching is not supported by SDL, or requires to be implemented by the programmers or something to that effect. Maybe Savage does not use SDL in any way and relies on good-old GLX which I do believe DOES support task-switching (the key combination is changed, IIRC), but you are absolutely right in that not many games support task-switching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                                I may be wrong, but I do believe that task-switching is not supported by SDL, or requires to be implemented by the programmers or something to that effect.
                                It's supposed to be supported. But, it's not wholly automagic. Outbound from the game should work right, but on inbound, you have to catch the notification event and do the right things to have it work right. Many games don't catch this tidbit (Now that reminds me...gotta check that in at least Bandits... ) Now, having said this, not all versions of the SDL supported this and many games do an LD_PRELOAD of their chosen .so's (NWN being one of the culprits there... ) so it could be a mix of plain flat NOT supporting it and not doing the right things with the support that IS there.

Maybe Savage does not use SDL in any way and relies on good-old GLX which I do believe DOES support task-switching (the key combination is changed, IIRC), but you are absolutely right in that not many games support task-switching.
                                Savage doesn't appear to be using SDL when you check .so's via ldd. And it's not that they don't support task-switching, they don't support it properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X