Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Regressed To 0.95% In January

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Regressed To 0.95% In January

The Steam Survey has been updated with results for January 2016...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Look guys, at this point, it's safe to say Steam Linux usage is what it is.

Comment

Every time I see the Steam usage on Linux results I think "This must be my fault because I haven't logged in in a while".

With as low as the usage is, maybe that's sort of true.

Comment

Is there a special Big Picture Version of the Survey that could be displayed to Steam Machine users? I doubt that it would change, much but I think you only get the survey with the desktop mode.

Comment

What would be nice to know is whether these drops/pertubations are due to attrition in linux users & steam OR downto linux users not gaining as many users as windows in the same period.

lies, damn lies and statistics.

Comment

I wish they'd just run automatic survey in the background all the time and only pop-up the questions that must be asked (I think there's a couple) at random. That way OS results would be true results.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
              I wish they'd just run automatic survey in the background all the time and only pop-up the questions that must be asked (I think there's a couple) at random. That way OS results would be true results.
              They could effectively do like Firefox and propose (not force) the automatic survey. I'd honestly be glad to participate. In 2 years I've received the survey twice on Linux I think and twice on Windows. But I play using Linux 99% of the time, the 1% is only the few Dota games I do at work with my colleagues.

Comment

I don't think I've seen the survey at all on linux

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                  What would be nice to know is whether these drops/pertubations are due to attrition in linux users & steam OR downto linux users not gaining as many users as windows in the same period.

lies, damn lies and statistics.

Exactly... they could actually have more Linux users than last month! Also, the percentage doesn't matter a lot. As cross platform development gets easier over time with better frameworks (like Kivy!), the more likely a very small increase in sales is to be worth the marginal increase in development costs to add Linux support. That's really all I need to be quite content. I could care less if Linux marketshare increases because the community is growing regardless!

Comment

I think I'm using the beta client.... maybe that's why

Comment

Working...
                    X