Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medieval II: Total War On Linux, Plays Fine With RadeonSI

Phoronix: Medieval II: Total War On Linux, Plays Fine With RadeonSI

Debuting in 2006, Medieval II: Total War, and its Kingdoms expansion, were the final Total War game to use the second version of the Total War Engine. It is also, arguably, the last game in a generation for the series. The follow-up to this game was Empire: Total War (also available on Linux), which changed the game engine, user-interface, as well as several of the gameplay mechanics-- such as adding naval battles.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What mesa version did you use since they say you need mesa 11.2 and F23 uses 11.0.3
    I was going to install the demo in steam to try it out but to my surprise i did own the game but never played it, i guess it was included in some humble bundle last summer
    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 28 January 2016, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      What mesa version did you use since they say you need mesa 11.2 and F23 uses 11.0.3
      I was going to install the demo in steam to try it out but to my surprise i did own the game but never played it, i guess it was included in some humble bundle last summer
      Whoops! Should've mentioned that in the notes at the top!

Code:
      [egriffith@eric-desktop-linux ~] $ sudo dnf info mesa-libGL
      Installed Packages
      [B]Name        : mesa-libGL[/B]
      Arch        : i686
      Epoch       : 0
      [B]Version     : 11.1.0
      Release     : 2.20151218.fc23[/B]
      Size        : 749 k
      Repo        : @System
      From repo   : updates
      Summary     : Mesa libGL runtime libraries and DRI drivers
      URL         : http://www.mesa3d.org
      License     : MIT
      Description : Mesa libGL runtime library.

[egriffith@eric-desktop-linux ~] $ sudo dnf info kernel
      Installed Packages
      [B]Name        : kernel[/B]
      Arch        : x86_64
      Epoch       : 0
      [B]Version     : 4.3.3
      Release     : 300.fc23[/B]
      Size        : 0.0  
      Repo        : @System
      From repo   : updates
      Summary     : The Linux kernel
      URL         : http://www.kernel.org/
      License     : GPLv2 and Redistributable, no modification permitted
      Description : The kernel meta package

[egriffith@eric-desktop-linux ~] $ sudo glxinfo | grep OpenGL
      OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
      [B]OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.0)
      OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.1.0 (git-525f3c2)[/B]
      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10
      OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
      OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
      OpenGL core profile extensions:
      OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.1.0 (git-525f3c2)
      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
      OpenGL context flags: (none)
      OpenGL extensions:
      OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 11.1.0 (git-525f3c2)
      OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
      OpenGL ES profile extensions:
      [egriffith@eric-desktop-linux ~] $
      Edit: I see the note youre talking about on the steam page. I don't know what functionality I was apparently missing. Everything was set to max quality under graphic settings, and I never saw any tearing, misrenders, stuttering, or anything else.

GPU: AMD R9 290, CPU: i7-6700k, RAM: 16Gb 2133mhz DDR4
      Last edited by Ericg; 28 January 2016, 01:08 PM.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Complete your Total War collection with this Definitive Edition of Total War: MEDIEVAL II, which includes all DLC and feature updates since the game’s release: Kingdoms is the most content-rich expansion ever produced for a Total War game, with four new entire campaigns centred on expanded maps of the British Isles, Teutonic Northern Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas. Total War: MEDIEVAL II Definitive Edition offers hundreds and hundreds of hours of absorbing gameplay and every bit of...

5€ today...just sayin..

Comment

It needs to be Shogun 2 (though Shogun 1 is also ok), otherwise this series doesn't spark any interest in me. Come on, I can't be the only one who gets a hard on for feudal Japan, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
            It needs to be Shogun 2 (though Shogun 1 is also ok), otherwise this series doesn't spark any interest in me. Come on, I can't be the only one who gets a hard on for feudal Japan, right?
            I have yet to play either expansion to Shogun 2, I've only done base-game campaigns, but its been pretty awesome. I'm very happy my friend got me into the Total War series with Shogun 2 and not something else.

Comment

I also play it using a APU A10-7850k, mesa 11.1.1 and full HD, max settings... runs perfectly
              The only problem i see is the "events" videos (like princess marriage, merchant acquired) show black... have you any problem like this?

Comment

Originally posted by higuita View Post
                I also play it using a APU A10-7850k, mesa 11.1.1 and full HD, max settings... runs perfectly
                The only problem i see is the "events" videos (like princess marriage, merchant acquired) show black... have you any problem like this?
                Negative! All event videos played fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  But it's only for Windows...

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

But it's only for Windows...
                    If Humble still does steam keys then you'll get a Linux version off steam. They probably didn't update the page on humble.

Comment

Working...
                    X