No announcement yet.

Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed For Linux Until Next Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like Windows users are still complaining about performance despite the half year delayed "relaunch". The devs recommend using at least 12GB of RAM on Windows 10 and for Windows 7 users they recommend... restarting the game after some gameplay time to avoid performance drop... To be honest - that ridiculous! It's jus pure and utter crap! This whole studio should be killed with fire to avoid spreading this "poor developers" plague!

And now imagine the Linux port of this crap... it's gonna be squared crap...

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
      Are we blaming Feral here for mapping ID3D11Device::CreateComputeShader to 2012's GL_ARB_compute_shader in their port, instead of totally rewriting the graphics engine not to rely on all the visual effects depending on compute shaders purely to benefit a small subsection of a small subsection of users (i.e. Intel-based Linux gamers)?
      AFAIK there is no OGL4.3 on OS X yet. Who done OS X port, I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        We are talking about Linux/OS X game porting company, right? Do you feel irony in your numbers?
        Yeah Linux is minor market compared to windows but nvidia have most part of linux market (and money from this market) and for this reason have more chances to supported compared other vendors

However is curious than appears supported intel first than amd, case company of heroes 2

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          AFAIK there is no OGL4.3 on OS X yet. Who done OS X port, I wonder?
          Of course Feral, but they likely used OpenCL instead of compute_shader.

Comment

What does Alien look like *without* GL_ARB_compute_shader?

Alien Isolation on up-to-date Arch Linux install using the RadeonSI OSS driver, mesa 11.0.4-1PC Specs : i5 core 7507970 1GHz edition8GB RAM
            Another thing I noticed on mesa was undefined values would be noise but on nvidia (and amd i think) it would be zero.

vec3 get_color()
            {
            if (some_condition)
            {
            return vec3(0,1,0);
            }
            // if the condition fails nothing is returned (syntax is somehow legal too) which results in garbage/noise
            }
            vec3 out_color_a;
            vec3 out_color_b;

void main()
            {
            out_color_a = something();
            //out_color_b is never set, so is instead filled with garbage
            }
            again these seem like really obvious mistakes but they can happen and especially if you got something like a shader builder

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post

I still don't understand what the problem with closed source drivers are. Why every new kernel breaks the older driver. Why are they constantly changing the interface with the driver. Shouldn't an interface be more stable? Like change once every 5 years? So that a driver from 2 years ago should still work on the latest kernel?

This looks like bad design from the kernel devs. Not a problem of the driver devs. Torvalds & co should get his act together and learn how to design stable interfaces.
              They do know how to design stable interfaces. How often does userspace break because of a kernel update?
              It is a problem of the driver devs. Change once every 5 years means being stuck with a bad interface for 3 if the current one shows its shortcomings after 2. Apparently not a sacrifice linux is willing to make. Hell even windows and OSX drivers need updating (or at least rigorous testing) when a new OS version is released.

I mean come on, its almost 2016 and we still have to mess with this shit? Very right to just dont support them at all.
              We will always have to mess with this shit, same as we will always have to mess with different Web engines. That's the price when there isn't an open and official "rubber stamping" procedure, and even that doesn't help in many cases...

Comment

What does Alien look like *without* GL_ARB_compute_shader?

Alien Isolation on up-to-date Arch Linux install using the RadeonSI OSS driver, mesa 11.0.4-1PC Specs : i5 core 7507970 1GHz edition8GB RAM
                Looks good to me! Quick, grab the acid! D:

Comment

Things are fairly stable, especially against userspace that Linus tries to never breaks.
                  He just doesn't care about out of tree proprietary drivers.
                  Remember, for in tree oss drivers, they get fixed pretty much as soon as the interface breaks, if not Linux wouldn't build anymore...

Comment

The key there is a new OS. That is, every 5 years. Not every other month. Again, it's OK to break things every 5 years. Not every other month. Microsoft can do it. So can Linux. It's insulting that the guys there at nvidia have to work every month just to make sure their drivers work when Linus & co go on a rampage on their interfaces. Really messed up stuff if after more than 20 years they haven't found a way to keep things stable inside the kernel. I was expecting more from these so called 'world class hackers'.
                    You're missing the point.

Half the "interface breaking" is done intentionally, by kernel devs simply marking functions GPL-only. The whole point behind that is to screw with the proprietary drivers.

Linux has a very strict and successful program of keeping backwards compatibility with userspace. The same could be done with drivers tomorrow if everyone in the kernel agreed it should be. They don't. They're intentionally not doing things that way.

Comment

So that only proves my theory that they are morons. Complete total morons. Morons who work against their users and do anything to ensure that they will forever remain at 1%. If they think that the world will become open source just because they would like it to then they are hallucinating morons. Some things are closed source, they need to learn to deal with it.
                      No, that actually means that douchebags like you are actually morons. They are not making a "Free Windows" knock-off and we don't expect them to. Because of all the accommodations for ass-handed developers Window's kernel is still stuck in 80s and filled with cruft that even their own devs are afraid to touch. We don't need that shit around here. You're the one who needs to learn to deal with it or go become another tool of Apple and shut the fuck up.

Comment

Working...
                      X