Alien Isolation Is Now Available For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
    So umm.... why are all these hardcore "I only buy hardware with FOSS driver support" guys even trying to play proprietary games? There do exist FOSS games and if you're going to exclusively support FOSS supported hardware doesn't it also make sense to exclusively use FOSS games?
    I'm all for commercial software, especially games. I'm not a programmer so access to the code isn't a big deal to me. But it's the other benefits that OSS provides like kernel drivers shipped with the kernel or make flags that disable dependencies or community bug trackers where non-programmers can help contribute. Those are just a few examples. I think people should be able to use whatever software they want, but hardware should be open source. Basically everything that is required to run software from the hardware to the desktop should be open.
    Last edited by duby229; 27 October 2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

FOSS driver simply longer supported. Just last week I get bunch of video decoding issues on GeForce 8600M GS - after sleep/wakeup cycle:
      1. Windowed mode playback could be fine, but frame drop in fullscreen mode.
      2. Windowed mode playback could be fine, but tearing in fullscreen mode.
      That was on Kubuntu 15.10 with latest mpv configured to use VDPAU for decoding (vo was tested opengl and vdpau). Toggling compositing off doesn't make difference, but reboot do make a difference. And that was last nVidia driver for this GPU, nVidia not going to fix this issues. nouveau was more unstable here, and honestly I was too lazy to fill reports about nouveau issues because I find VDPAU works fine with proprietary driver, but later I find that "fine" is only until sleep/wakeup. So now I guess I have no choice but fill reports for nouveau, unlike proprietary driver, nouveau at least will be fixed someday.
      Once again I get another proof (at least for me; you are free stick with proprietary drivers, kenjitamura) that it's better to choice hardware with FOSS drivers.

Comment

Has anyone managed to get 5.1 surround sound working with this game yet? Or is this another one of those games that can only do stereo on Linux?

Comment

What about SteamVR?

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

The only thing that's stupid is buying AMD graphics and using them with Linux.
            moron, the only other vendor with real linux driver is intel

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I'd say it does suck because it's pretty obvious they aren't even trying to comply with OpenGL standards. If they could say that this game complies with GL4.3, then I'd say that's fine, but that isn't what was said. Instead they only claim that it requires nvidia drivers, which is well known that they allow nonstandard behavior. At this point the only fault I can find is Feral.

I want to buy games for linux, but I will not give up support for OSS ideals to do that. That's what makes it suck.
              don't panic. catalyst isn't supported because it is slower, radeonsi does not support compute shaders yet, it will be sorted out in a few months

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

In company of heroes 2 (feral lastest title launched until alien) geforce 6xx series are minimum supported both iris pro

thanks for the info. I think 6xx series as a minimum is still sad. 5xx series is only 4 to 5 years old (depending on the model) and is capable of openGL 4.4 (same with 4xx series) - so why are those not supported?

Comment

I see no reason why it should not work with Fermi 400/500 series (without 405). Maybe they just did not test it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    don't panic. catalyst isn't supported because it is slower, radeonsi does not support compute shaders yet, it will be sorted out in a few months
                    Of course I'm not in a panic. It just pissed me off at that moment that there was no indication on the requirements page what the requirements are, and there still isn't any indication there. The only thing that exists there is nvidia bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      I see no reason why it should not work with Fermi 400/500 series (without 405). Maybe they just did not test it.
                      can somebody confirm that fermi works? and how good / bad?

Comment

Working...
                      X