Some Linux Game Developers Don't Even Have Contacts At AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
    Hmm how about Khronos finally publishing/doing some driver conformance testing ? I mean IT IS THEIR FAULT !!! They are publishing the spec but are unable to enforce it. WTH ???

This shit would not happen if there were proper driver conformance tests in place. Does the driver pass conformance testing on you target GL version ? If yes and things do not work as they should, you screwed up. Performance is another thing, but generally things should work and render properly !!!
    So there will be profiles for conformance tests

Comment

Hmm how about Khronos finally publishing/doing some driver conformance testing ? I mean IT IS THEIR FAULT !!! They are publishing the spec but are unable to enforce it. WTH ???

This shit would not happen if there were proper driver conformance tests in place. Does the driver pass conformance testing on you target GL version ? If yes and things do not work as they should, you screwed up. Performance is another thing, but generally things should work and render properly !!!
      Nvidia will be broken by default on earlier , there is something but for GL 4.4+

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/...roducts#opengl

Comment

Originally posted by faldżip View Post
        So there will be profiles for conformance tests
        nVidia's conformance test will be written by Volkswagen.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

nVidia's conformance test will be written by Volkswagen.
          Except that in this case, a big part of real-world performance is running on Linux. And nvidia does pretty well there.
          Really, both AMD and nvidia are members of the Khronos group, how lame would it be to fail implementing something they promote themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Nvidia will be broken by default on earlier , there is something but for GL 4.4+

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/...roducts#opengl
            hmm ... I'd like to have the test publicly available ... I mean if you code by spec, even Nvidia passes ... however does the conformance test also test OUT OF SPEC behavior ? hard to tell ...

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
              Investigating possible bugs and fixing bugs that are found is not micro-optimizing.
              That's very true, but that's not an optimization specific to a game. Of course GPU devs should be contacted about such things because everyone benefits from them. I just don't think it makes sense to spend money specific to one product on a platform that's nearly dead.

That said, I would likely spent $5000 to repair a car with 250,000 miles on it. It makes more economic sense than buying a new car. It also makes sense when the newer ones combine drive by wire with awful computer security. Newer is not necessarily better.
              You say that it makes more economic sense as though that's a fact, when there are a lot of variables involved. For example, there could be thousands more you have to spend on something you know is going to fail soon but just hasn't yet. For $5000 you can get a replacement used car with half the miles on it.

Comment

hmm ... I'd like to have the test publicly available ... I mean if you code by spec, even Nvidia passes ... however does the conformance test also test OUT OF SPEC behavior ? hard to tell ...
                Well you can ask Khronos for that, members pay $25K for those tests... so maybe if you pay them $30K they can let you see source code
                Last edited by dungeon; 30 September 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Afaik, Khronos makes certification, i.e. passing the conformance test, mandatory for Vulkan drivers - in contrast to OpenGL.

So this should help Vulkan API a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                    Afaik, Khronos makes certification, i.e. passing the conformance test, mandatory for Vulkan drivers - in contrast to OpenGL.
                    Yeah, implementations must pass *full* conformance tests (which will be released at same time as API) to claim Vulkan support.

So this should help Vulkan API a lot!
                    Well we will see world is not perfect, one things are good words and another is practice... and of course third thing is good or bad marketing

Comment

Sorry I couldn't make this comment sooner... Um DUH, There is an open source development team. Obviously. Everybody has been told that they need to stop using Catalyst. So stop already. If you can't figure out IRC then you shouldn't be porting games.

Comment

Working...
                      X