No announcement yet.

Feral Interactive Appears To Be Stepping Up Its AMD Linux Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For performance there is no much sense in using AMD CPUs, but there are customers using them.
    So for a developer it makes sense to test their games with them.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      I hope that they will at least try out gallium nine
      For what purpose? To ship DX9 version of a DX11 game with a wine wrapper?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        There's not much point using AMD CPUs is there.

I guess what they need to do is ensure AMD GPUs are well represented throughout the development process.
        I bought an Amd fx 6300 cpu for less than 130 dollars. Runs all new games on high/max settings and also takes me less than 6 hours to get a fully working Gentoo system compiled and running with X, sound, desktop and everything.
        Would I had gotten an equal cpu from Intel I would not be able to afford my gtx 960 etc... I am so thankful that Amd makes good cheap cpu's.
        So yes, there is definently a point in using them.

Comment

I'm old and grumpy and this is kinda ranty cause I hate my life, and most of you.... I miss Q he used to do this so I didn't have try to reach people as pointless as trying is.

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
          For performance there is no much sense in using AMD CPUs, but there are customers using them.
          It really doesn't make any sense to test with AMD CPU's since any of them from phenom+ should be able to play a silly game (bad multi threading properties in games/programs aside since we know intel single thread is usually stronger). You're talking a difference of maybe 10-15 fps here and there not to mention my fx 8350 got the same FPS as the newest i7 in 4k benchmarks and even better FPS than Michael did with bioshock infinite with AMD gpu(some how I always get 10% or so better FPS than him even when he uses the beastly i7's he does, which is very interesting). Compute problem is no where near the problem on Linux it's incredibly bad programming as some have pointed out the switching to the DX9 version of a game can offer 2x the performance at least on radeon. So take your pick inefficient OpenGL stack/drivers or $hitty ports. I bet on both actually. The ~ 60 FPS cap on AMD and ~115 on nvidia with some games especially eon (no matter what cards you're using) speaks volumes to both crappy ports and bad drivers.

I really appreciate feral using both drivers but since catalyst seems to be phasing out I really don't know why they just don't test against the openstack, when I program all I ever test against is opensource Intel and AMD drivers, the blobs can go phuck themselves.

Now a general gripe, I find it humorous in a society that wastes... well everything from gas when driving super inefficient SUV's around town to throwing out half eaten meals that everyone knocks performance per watt so phucking hard especially when it would take a year+ to offset the price difference for performance of amd/intel especially when 90% of your tasks like playing media,web browsing and what not can't tell the difference from say a 8 core FX to a 4 core i7 with hyper thread, literally you couldn't tell the difference with the naked eye. Games and compiling is a whole different story but if you're dying because of 20 seconds difference in a zip test or kernel compile you need to take a step back and laugh at how phucking silly you're life is. Side note, fx 8350's can bench better than i7's in some tests, I think Michael even did one once, the point is unless you run benchmarks all day or need 20 more fps past 120 (this always cracks me up, "i getz 160 FPS vs your 140... on a 60Hz monitor I winz!!! epeen size over 9000!!!! kappaface elegiggle") the difference is invisible to the end user.

If you read this far, you need life who cares what other people think.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
            If you read this far, you need life who cares what other people think.
            You forgot to add that in addition to not having a life, we're unmarried, don't have girlfriends, and dwell in basements with hundreds of stuffed penguin animals hoarded away. Get your facts straight m8. :P

Comment

I guess what they need to do is ensure AMD GPUs are well represented throughout the development process.

?

Game dev should NOT test games on different vendors?

Let's forget for now subpar Intel core count (important for DX12/Vulkan), just claiming that game dev should skipp some important vendor is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                [...]
                It really doesn't make any sense to test with AMD CPU's since any of them from phenom+ should be able to play a silly game .
                [...]
                Right. If they have Vulkan support testing it on multi-core CPU that most users will have is SILLY.

We all agree. Any multicore CPU out there is only i7 ;P

Comment

My five years-old AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU Deneb which still runs modern software disagrees.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
                    Uhm? AMD  cpus are perfectly fine, for performance or whatever else. I have a 8350 cpu, I bet it's better than your average Intel stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by vadimg View Post
                      Uhm? AMD  cpus are perfectly fine, for performance or whatever else. I have a 8350 cpu, I bet it's better than your average Intel stuff.
                      Michael, please check your engine wrt posting from mobile, why it adds the crap? 
                      ?I mean that crap, symbols etc 

Comment

Working...
                      X