How To Make CS:GO Run Much Faster On AMD Catalyst For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeekei View Post

I'm see this post even though Master5000 is on my ignore list.

Doesn't the ignore list work with the new forum?
    I didn't see his post and he's on my ignore list.

Comment

That shows how much benchmark results really boil down to which vendor's stuff looks good in the 5-6 games everyone and their mother can draw diagrams from. The sad part is the extrapolation from "tweaked for the most popular scenario" to "fastest/best".
      Kind of reminds me of the FX 8350 review on TekSyndicate.
      I wish hardware sites picked one random game for every review, to add to the standard batch of usual suspects. Betcha it would make results less biased. Then again, honesty and free review samples don't really go hand in hand heh...

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
        imnho i beg to differ. i fully believe that they're just incompetent given the 5y that iwas stuck with them with a 4850m notebook.

i USED to beleve that their hw was good too, but beyond the shitastic crapalyst that thing would HARD lock hw in certain specific rendring situations in both linux and windows. heat and memory were eliminated, but at the end of the day i claim hw bug as it was never ever fixed along with a fsckton of other bugs.
        Ok.
        My experience with AMD hardware and catalyst drivers on Windows has been entirely positive. Both in terms of stability and game performance i've been a very happy customer. I've got an R9 290.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
          That shows how much benchmark results really boil down to which vendor's stuff looks good in the 5-6 games everyone and their mother can draw diagrams from. The sad part is the extrapolation from "tweaked for the most popular scenario" to "fastest/best".
          This optimization depends on XYZ game (not because AMD wants to depend it on game, but because it is only way for them to do it proper) and does not apply and can't be applied to all games and engines, if renaming works fine you are lucky but that is about it... if game/engine is modern one, using recommended BO setup and is properly managed and properly mutithreaded there is no problem. You know what had happended with nvidia mulithreaded optimization varibile and CS:GO. Do you remember nvidia on Linux is faster then Windows claim? Wine CSMT is faster then Wine proper? Nine is faster then Wine? Are all those really faster? Well, NO! it can be faster then Windows, but really depends on game.

And where advantage for all those really is, is mostly about BO managment then also putting some BOs out of main thread (and i guess which BO might go out, depend on a game... so that is a reason, why this is optimized/profiled and this one is not)... but there is also disadvantage and everybody who played with those knows that this kind of optimizations work good for some games, but does not for another... making it either slower, glitchy, unstable, etc...

So, no way this same optimization can work good for one randomly choosen out of 1300+ games on steam

In the and who really cares, when 90% of these games runs acceptable on $100 APU with opensource driver Current AMD APUs costs from $30 to $150.

Now for another 10% percent we goes to tackle the real gaming area, where even $100 dedicated cards kill any APU performance (also kills Tegra X1 and any Intel GPU with eDRAM) and let say are enogh for half of those, so we goes down to 5%.

In that 5% of all steam games we are in enthusiastic gaming area, can we mark only 50 games where probably only 10% or lower of those are really most played (and demanding) ones. What number of games you get that need to be optimized? Maybe just 5-6 per season
          Last edited by dungeon; 21 July 2015, 02:16 AM.

Comment

ATI/AMD has been doing this for years on Windows. Oddly, people here seem to love it while the Windows community hates it because the speed improvements come at the expense of image quality:

If there were a magic "make it faster without consequences" switch that could be turned on, it would be turned on by default and not only when a specific executable name is used.

Comment

A) Wine csmt is faster with Nvidia binary than with fglrx
              B) The same applies to games using EON wrapper like The Witcher 2 or Bioshock 3 and expect many more in the future
              C) Basically all current Valve games use Source engine, Nvidia optimized their driver with 310 series, AMD made a good CAP with the very last driver - years (!!!) later to get a 40% boost and are still slower

It is correct that you can play lots of Linux games with AMD hardware too but it is a stupid investment - you pay more for less speed in terms of FPS/money.

Certainly you could use Wine Nine with OSS but then you can not use native Linux ports. You just play the Windows ones.
              Last edited by Kano; 21 July 2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

ABCDF Kano have 6 years old AMD EverGreen card, so how do you know what happened there as you said there is no optimizations like people reported for GCNs? As AMD hater i guess you have it (and don't want anything else form AMD, not just for gaming but for anything ) because you like the name of the series, it must be something like that - EverGreen sounds like your motto

Also i have no problem recommending products from any RGB colored vendor, all can be used for some gaming more or less successfully.

And i am really sorry, because AMD does not seems to optimize anymore (so you can't tried it) for EG/NI at this time, like for GCN hardware
                Last edited by dungeon; 21 July 2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I know more about fglrx than you can imagine in your wildest dreams. Guess who first binary patched fglrx for Xserver 1.3, binary patched the watermark or explained how signature/control files work. OK, i don't own a GCN card myself, but some Kanotix users do. But if asked before buy i would never recommend em for Linux gaming.

Comment

Nope, not only for gaming... this is not first time we discuss this ... you don't recommending it for anything, neither APUs nor card products anytime for anything is not good for you if it cames from AMD... that is a point of your wording You don't have GCN card here, and you don't want to have it and you don't want others to have it for anything
                    Last edited by dungeon; 21 July 2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Well in some cases you could use the cheapest AMD APUs for Kodi with OSS drivers (for vdpau), but i would still prefer Intel.

Comment

Working...
                      X