John Carmack On Rage & Doom 4 For Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byteframe View Post
    Well we we're promised a wxWidgets UnrealED, but does anyone who has torrented that 6 gigs know if that's the case? I'm would have hoped idStudio considered that or similiar api, or gosh, sdl, but who knows?
    Well, there is one such editor for id games and engines, GtkRadiant IIRC even id officially uses it internally for their titles. Ohh, and even some distributions package it and have it available in their repos.

Comment

but problem is, gtkradiant is now being phased out by id in favor of the new idstudio, which frankly, it was about time. Id touts this new tool as "something revolutionary" when in reality other engines have had it for a while now, the cry engine 2 sandbox editor being the most recent one. radiant by now is ancient.

Comment

As for UT3, I'll believe only what I see, or, in that case, I'll believe only what I can run.

In other words, I'll get those games as soon as a native linux client is officially available.

But I feel confident ID will do it in less time than Epic for UT3, because they are used to port all their games to linux. And so I'm used to buy all their games because there is a linux support.

No linux support, no business with me.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
          It better show up. At least, before EA buys out Id.
          Don't joke about stuff like that

Comment

Any recent news on rage/doom4 and linux ?

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
              Any recent news on rage/doom4 and linux ?
              Rage uses steamworks, Doom 4 probably will as well. Figure it out.

Comment

Rage works well in Wine, which is a credit to id's programming team

That should also mean it'll be an easier job porting it to linux when someone gets around to it.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  "The popular Steamworks Berkeley is one of two gay bathhouses in the San Francisco Bay Area" --about.com
                  Thanks for the insight, but I was trying to rehash some linux talk

Comment

A EA employee is working on an Open Source version of Origin: http://openorigin.sourceforge.net/
                    Sounds interesting...

Comment

fake or may be stealing passwords?

Comment

Originally posted by byteframe View Post
                        Sadly, 'PC' means Windoughs, in this context.
                        "pc" generally means windoze - as in "openarea is available for pc, mac and linux"

Comment

Originally posted by Behem0th View Post
                          fake or may be stealing passwords?
                          http://forums.ea.com/eaforum/posts/l....page#19537200

Comment

bad game anyhow

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037840623

somebody could make one of the ioquake3 engines pop with a good story ...

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                              That's for setting up multiplayer games right? The Mac version of Rage shipped without MP, supposedly the same could be done for a Linux version.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
                                Thanks for the insight, but I was trying to rehash some linux talk
                                Well, Michael has confirmed that steam is coming to Linux, so steamworks can't be far behind...

Comment

Working...
                                X