Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unfortunately enough

Comment

• B.A.S.E. Jumping Goes Open Source
      Dive into an extreme experience of absolute freedom! The new computer game "B.A.S.E." offers you the opportunity to experience the awesome thrill of freefall, to witness the adventure of overcoming indomitable air elements, and feel that moment of truth when a human being takes his last, decisive step into the gaping abyss before him... Game soundtrack will be entirely alternative. One of themes is written by "4h-X", the rest of tracks are songs of "Dirty MoleculAs".

BASE-jumping simulator. This game is entirely devoted to the most fascinating of extreme sports - BASE-jumping. Specially developed physics reflect the subtleties of this process: freefall, acrobatics, parachute flight, landing, wind and turbulence.

Acrobatics. Freefall lasts only a dozen seconds, but once you get used to the gameplay you will understand that it's ample time to pull off some mad tricks.

Real geographical locations. A real-life replica is placed in each of the game's jumping sites. The majority of these sites are well-known both among BASE jumpers and to the general public.

Camera effects. Various effects (both animation "slo-mo" and "shaking", as well as graphic "motion blur" and "depth of field") are implemented to reproduce the entire range of sensations of a BASE jump.

BASE Gear. The game allows you to test-jump dozens of real-world types of gear specifically developed for BASE jumping.

Virtues and skills. Each successful jump increases your character's experience. As time goes by, your character can acquire new aerobatic skills.
      BASE source code (Released: May.1.2009) / d3basejumper@googlecode / manual & other patches

Comment

• Whilst cool that another game has been released under a open source license I'd much rather go base jumping in real life then do it on a computer.

Comment

• It's released under GPL v3 according to this page:
          http://code.google.com/p/d3basejumper/

Comment

• qwwqqw

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
            Whilst cool that another game has been released under a open source license I'd much rather go shoot aliens or kill hellspawn creatures in real life then do it on a computer.
            ...fixed

Comment

• Originally posted by Licaon View Post
              ...fixed
              Give me the ability to save and load old games or re-spawn and I'm in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                Whilst cool that another game has been released under a open source license I'd much rather go base jumping in real life then do it on a computer.
                ders no respawn in real life

der might be. You can give it a try and report back

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                  ders no respawn in real life

der might be. You can give it a try and report back
                  I'd rather not try it out just to test it. Anyway the re-spawn comment was aimed at the quip about aliens; and if there are aliens there bloody well better be re-spawning!

Comment

• I found an interesting little half finished game.

http://www.urbanwarfareonline.com/screenshots.html

look close at the top right in this pic:
                    http://www.urbanwarfareonline.com/screenshots/SS3.jpg
                    I spy a condom!! (which use I do advocate)

This comes right out the the readme

Minimum Specifications:

512MB RAM

2.4 GHz Intel processor or 2400+ or higher model AMD procressor

Windows XP/Vista

OpenGL 1.5 or higher

128MB video memory

Vertex and pixel shader 2.0 compatible hardware

Internet connection

100MB hard drive space

100% DirectX compatible keyboard or input device
                    It uses raknet, openal, opengl, ogg and contains some level of physics support (we got bouncy balls!)

No linux support and not open source. Levels are just modeled and made xml (which in this case is a stupid idea).

Runs 200fps in wine for me.

people who might be able to be contacted regarding this:
                    Team Red

Jason Lyons jasonrlyons@gmail.com
                    Stephen Cooney cooney.stephen@gmail.com
                    Aake Gregertsen aake.gregertsen@gmail.com
                    Charles Jarrett cljarrett@fullsail.edu
                    Brian Higby brianhigby@gmail.com
                    Teal Wilkes tealomp@yahoo.com

Full Sail Staff

Garrett Brown gbrown@fullsail.com
                    Kris Ducote kducote@fullsail.com
                    Lee Wood lwood@fullsail.com
                    Justin Gallo jgallo@fullsail.com
                    Liam Hislop lhislop@fullsail.com
                    Tony Porter tporter@fullsail.com

Additional

C.I.A. Games www.ciastudiogames.com <dead>
                    Big Red Frankenstein www.bigredfrankenstein.com <dead>
                    Zachariah Inks zachariahinks@yahoo.com
                    Jordan Hale halejordan@makegeometry.net
                    Bryce Lumpkin rymbrant@gmail.com
                    Robert Walker - dudeman21.dme@gmail.com

Comment

• Levels in XML are not a stupid idea if you do it the right way ( aka using it for entities and just reference level geometry in a binary file ).

Comment

• i never said they was a stupid idea, its very speedy if used properly (if thats what you were implying). I was more refering to the level being done entirely in a modeling program.
                        Last edited by L33F3R; 05-28-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• This is again nothing wrong and is done often ( QW:ET, Stalker ). Is also the case in my engine ( terrain meshes in Blender, height terrain and placement in world editor ) for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                            This is again nothing wrong and is done often ( QW:ET, Stalker ). Is also the case in my engine ( terrain meshes in Blender, height terrain and placement in world editor ) for example.
                            for terrains it makes perfect sense (take etqw for example). Etqw terrains were not entirely done in maya either (im fairly sure ID uses maya primarily). For buildings its a total time killer. Im not sure if stalker structures are modeled or not but as i recall that game took forever to come out.

If human life expectancy wasn't so low it wouldn't matter but the fact remains that we live to die and we die eventually.

Comment

• QW:ET is based on MegaTexture which is about texturing one huge triangle soup terrain with one texture. John itself said in his article on GamaSutra that the terrain is one large mesh in modeller that is then textured using this approach. So yes, QW:ET does use this technique.

So why doing it this way? It has one important advantage: versatility. If you don't code this editing support into your world editor people can use whatever 3D modelling application ( given the format is free, which in the case of Stalker had been a Maya plugin for example ) they work fastest with for creating the geometry. Don't underestimate blender and other apps on modeling buildings. Those are highly sophisticated applications so anybody skilled in their use ( and in a real game production you have skilled artists ) produces the required assets with easy and in time. So that's no argument against this technique.

Now from your comments I take it you are a brush-mapper?

Comment

• The Maw by Twisted Pixel haven't been mentioned before?

Comment

Working...
                                X