Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
    Here is a suggestion from a friend... It might be aiming a bit high, but it would be a high-profile coup if we get it.

The Diskworld games?
    Unfortunately, the player that made those titles shuttered their doors and took the rights with 'em. You need to find whom retained the rights when the studio closed and see if they've still got usable source and assets to work with- and are willing to let a respin of the games see the light of day. If you can find me those folks we can start a discussion on the needed next steps there- otherwise, much to my dismay, it's a dead-end.

Comment

• Well... For something like that, I can think of one approach that MIGHT work to track the rights.

I think this one should switch to PM though...

Comment

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
        Well... For something like that, I can think of one approach that MIGHT work to track the rights.

I think this one should switch to PM though...
        Robbie, could you please let me know of the approach you will use? Im trying to track down the source code of several games as well, and any info on the methods how would be welcomed.

thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          This is actually what I expected them to tell us. And with them in the final throes on Warhead and the initial inevitable bug fix pass that'll come from the release, they may be well understaffed to handle external contractors doing the work for them (There IS an overhead, even if it's a small one with someone like TTimo or icculus doing the work...).

I'll take that "no" over the other kind any old day. Everything in their response was soundly based in business concerns and they saw us as worth considering but not worth enough right now to put effort into it. That's a change for the better, really.
          Seems to be the common case, that everyone is not hostile, but just too busy with their business to venture into the linux realm these days.
          Also, from a techical point of view, what i gathered was that CE1 (farcry) is a big project, with hard to understand codes, and i guess they dont have the time to document everything for an external team. And in CE2's case, the engine uses so much DX that it'd be a very big task to rewrite everything for OGL. Probably thats another reason why crysis isnt on the PS3. In any case, i replied thanking them for their time, and asking them to keep us into consideration for future endeavors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Unfortunately, the player that made those titles shuttered their doors and took the rights with 'em. You need to find whom retained the rights when the studio closed and see if they've still got usable source and assets to work with- and are willing to let a respin of the games see the light of day. If you can find me those folks we can start a discussion on the needed next steps there- otherwise, much to my dismay, it's a dead-end.
            Svartalf, what about the Soldner X game i suggested? Do you think it'd be reasonable to consider them for a possible porting work?

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
              Robbie, could you please let me know of the approach you will use? Im trying to track down the source code of several games as well, and any info on the methods how would be welcomed.

thanks!
              Xav1r, this is a special case, and not a general solution. It won't apply to 99.99% of the titles out there.

Comment

• Doesnt matter, at this time, i will listen to any suggestion, and those games might be in that 0.01% .

Comment

Doesnt matter, at this time, i will listen to any suggestion, and those games might be in that 0.01% .
                  In this case, the game in question is a derivative of something else- in this case, a fantasy novel series.

Comment

Svartalf, what about the Soldner X game i suggested? Do you think it'd be reasonable to consider them for a possible porting work?
                    I'm contemplating it. It's a possible. If you've got an in, follow up on it with that one. If not, I'll add it to the growing pile while we wait on final decisions on the ones we think we might have.

Comment

• This seems rather surprising, apparently the game The Suffering has been released for free by ubisoft. That means that they probably wont be interested in having someone charge money for a linux client, but in any case, does anyone think it'd be a porting prospect?

Comment

Working...
                      X