Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So they can bill non-US citizens/residents before they break the $10 mark?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
      So they can bill non-US citizens/residents before they break the $10 mark?
      Yea, I guess thats it. So, would any US citizen/resident here register please? I'd appreciate it a lot, thanks.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
        Damn, this is gonna take longer than i thought. Upon registration, they say that they will send you the login/password information to you 1 week after registering, and throu regular post mail. Im not disclosing my address info to them, why cant they just send it thru email???
        Courts are...marginally...into the 21st Century...

        If you're serious about this, it's worth waiting a bit.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
          Yea, I guess thats it. So, would any US citizen/resident here register please? I'd appreciate it a lot, thanks.
          Maybe someone over at Groklaw could help...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by trepo View Post
            Maybe someone over at Groklaw could help...
            Okay, okay, okay... I get the hint... Lemme get a few things off of my plate here and I'll do a bit more checking off of Pacer. I suspect that the key pieces of info shouldn't run past the $10.

            Truth's be known, while I'm okay with trying to chase down a rights holder for this to liberate those titles as best as I can, the end result of what I'm working at doing is a bit of a bigger deal.

            Comment


            • *cough* If you make it work, wouldn't it be about as big a prize for Linux gaming as we can reasonably hope for in the current climate?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                *cough* If you make it work, wouldn't it be about as big a prize for Linux gaming as we can reasonably hope for in the current climate?
                I agree with that.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                  *cough* If you make it work, wouldn't it be about as big a prize for Linux gaming as we can reasonably hope for in the current climate?
                  Uh... Isn't working on the leads we have (nudge, nudge, wink, wink...) a bigger deal than this?

                  Seriously. Scoring Witchaven as a big prize? It might have a retro appeal, but it met with mediocre reviews overall.

                  Comment


                  • Er, I was referring to the, um, nudge nudge wink wink lead with my comment about it being as big a prize as we can hope to score...

                    Yeah, Witchaven might be cool, but it just lacks a certain... follow up potential...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                      Er, I was referring to the, um, nudge nudge wink wink lead with my comment about it being as big a prize as we can hope to score...

                      Yeah, Witchaven might be cool, but it just lacks a certain... follow up potential...
                      Ah... I misread the remark... My bad. It's late and plans didn't work like I'd hoped. Tomorrow's going to be busy and unfruitful for some of the plans for this week as well. I suppose Wednesday'll be a more likely candidate.

                      Comment


                      • No idea if this would be a possible candidate:

                        Alien vs Predator 2

                        The game does have an (now ancient) OSX port, so the openGL part should be possible and the publisher (at that time) is/was not hostile to non MS operating systems. Sierra Entertainment / Fox Interactive as publisher is basically nonexistant nowaddys, but Vivendi/Activision should have the rights now. No idea how open they are regarding linux...

                        I really loved the game for it's great atmosphere. One of the by far better singleplayer shooter out there and I would really like to be able to play it natively under Linux. Since from the first game there was an (at least beta) linux port, maybe this could be a possible candidate.

                        No idea if it does qualify, but it would be really great!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by clint999 View Post
                          No idea if this would be a possible candidate:

                          Alien vs Predator 2

                          The game does have an (now ancient) OSX port, so the openGL part should be possible and the publisher (at that time) is/was not hostile to non MS operating systems. Sierra Entertainment / Fox Interactive as publisher is basically nonexistant nowaddys, but Vivendi/Activision should have the rights now. No idea how open they are regarding linux...

                          I really loved the game for it's great atmosphere. One of the by far better singleplayer shooter out there and I would really like to be able to play it natively under Linux. Since from the first game there was an (at least beta) linux port, maybe this could be a possible candidate.

                          No idea if it does qualify, but it would be really great!
                          I dont know if the rights to that game was one in the bunch of games sold off as a result from the Activision/Blizzard acquisition. If it was, probably it's new owner might not be that hostile.

                          Comment


                          • Witchaven had some cool features borrowed from the RPG genre like potions, weapons that break, leveling up, etc. Yeah, the execution of the game was less than ideal, but there could be room for improvement. Besides, its medieval like theme might appeal to the RPG crowd.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                              Witchaven had some cool features borrowed from the RPG genre like potions, weapons that break, leveling up, etc. Yeah, the execution of the game was less than ideal, but there could be room for improvement. Besides, its medieval like theme might appeal to the RPG crowd.
                              Heh... There's a reason I'm going to actually DO something along the lines of chasing down the rights holders. It's just not as much of a priority as getting something that'll gain us vastly more traction in the games space than a liberated Witchaven 1 & 2 would. I'm interested in bringing it back to life with perhaps a bit of a remix to pull out a better execution on the whole thing than Capstone managed. But it's waaay down on the totem pole than some of the things I allude to here (Like making things go on the Pandora...or the project RobbieAB and I have been muttering about... ).

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                                I dont know if the rights to that game was one in the bunch of games sold off as a result from the Activision/Blizzard acquisition. If it was, probably it's new owner might not be that hostile.
                                I'd have to concur. If it didn't change hands, we're still dealing with a Activision/VU hybrid here. Vivendi still owns it, but the Activision people are calling the day-to-day shots. VU nixed some Linux things, so keep that in mind.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X