Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I never like "open source". It's like graphic driver binary blobs. You try to sugar-talk a big problem. Just because you hand something a sweet doesn't mean he's allowed to plunge his hand into the candy bucker. FS grants this important freedom and protects against thieves ( meaning those taking code selling it as their own work ).

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      I never like "open source". It's like graphic driver binary blobs. You try to sugar-talk a big problem. Just because you hand something a sweet doesn't mean he's allowed to plunge his hand into the candy bucker. FS grants this important freedom and protects against thieves ( meaning those taking code selling it as their own work ).
      Heh... I can see you see eye-to-eye with me on that one.

      Comment


      • Here's an odd tidbit of info:

        Interplay's website's been updated. The 10-Q they filed this year is...interesting. The fact that they've still been filing 10Q's is amazing in and of itself.

        "We are now focused on a two-pronged growth strategy. While we are working to secure funding for the development of a MMOG based on the popular "Fallout" franchise, we are at the same time exploring ways to leverage our portfolio of gaming properties through sequels and various development and publishing
        arrangements. We are planning, to develop sequels to some of the most successful games, including Earthworm Jim, Dark Alliance, Descent and MDK. We have reinitiated our in-house game development studio, and have hired game developers. Initial funding for these steps will mainly derive from license
        arrangements or other financing that we may enter into."

        This is...odd...without a doubt. It seems Interplay itself is the actual player behind the revival of the Interplay titles on Good Old Games. I believe I will dig into this further.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Here's an odd tidbit of info:

          Interplay's website's been updated. The 10-Q they filed this year is...interesting. The fact that they've still been filing 10Q's is amazing in and of itself.

          "We are now focused on a two-pronged growth strategy. While we are working to secure funding for the development of a MMOG based on the popular "Fallout" franchise, we are at the same time exploring ways to leverage our portfolio of gaming properties through sequels and various development and publishing
          arrangements. We are planning, to develop sequels to some of the most successful games, including Earthworm Jim, Dark Alliance, Descent and MDK. We have reinitiated our in-house game development studio, and have hired game developers. Initial funding for these steps will mainly derive from license
          arrangements or other financing that we may enter into."

          This is...odd...without a doubt. It seems Interplay itself is the actual player behind the revival of the Interplay titles on Good Old Games. I believe I will dig into this further.
          Oh yea, follow that developing story, but AFAIK, that info has been on Interplay's shall we say "brief" website for a while now. They came out of bankrutpcy with the money for the fallout rights, and they're probably getting some cash too from GoG. But there are a few GoG titles that arent Interplay, arent there? GoG doesnt stand for "Interplay's Good Old Games", doesnt it? One example would be operation flashpoint. And probably redneck rampage, since it was published by interplay, but the rights were bought by vivendi.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
            One example would be operation flashpoint. And probably redneck rampage, since it was published by interplay, but the rights were bought by vivendi.
            And this goes to show ya...it's an incestuous business this...

            Oh, I've contacted GoG about things, believe me- but to find Interplay "still alive" and struggling... Heh... I know about that little story entirely too personally, though not through Interplay.

            Comment


            • Hm... the old song then. If you ( game developer ) miss any new ideas... then let's make sequels! ( or prequels in the case of stalker :O )

              Comment


              • Has that hint about Drakensang gone anywhere already?

                Sorry just curious

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Julius View Post
                  Has that hint about Drakensang gone anywhere already?

                  Sorry just curious
                  Not yet. Got two primary prospects in progress right now. It's third or fourth up on the list right at the moment, though. I should be getting to a proper contacting them here shortly, all the same.

                  Comment


                  • well, rather dissapointing news. This morning I got this email:

                    Hello,

                    Unfortunately I have to inform you we are not interested in porting our games to Linux.

                    Best Regards,
                    Jiri
                    Heh, interesting, this time they didnt mention my name in the opening, just a Hello,. Im not at all surprised at this, but they could've taken less than 3 weeks to say "screw you" at least.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      Heh, interesting, this time they didnt mention my name in the opening, just a Hello,. Im not at all surprised at this, but they could've taken less than 3 weeks to say "screw you" at least.
                      Which studio was this?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                        Which studio was this?
                        Oh sorry, i forgot. It was Bohemian Interactive, although the return address of the guy who answered, Jiri Jakubec, was jj@idea-games.com. Probably idea games is their business name, i dont know. Doesnt really matter, does it? No reply yet from Crytek, but im not too optimistic right now.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                          Oh sorry, i forgot. It was Bohemian Interactive, although the return address of the guy who answered, Jiri Jakubec, was jj@idea-games.com. Probably idea games is their business name, i dont know. Doesnt really matter, does it? No reply yet from Crytek, but im not too optimistic right now.
                          Don't get too down just yet. Bohemia Interactive may not be in a position right at the moment or they're looking at the current sales number picture. There is a reason I didn't add either to the "maybe" or "checking into" lists yet. As for that situation, I can hope Valve coming in or us getting a handful of good sellers on GoG and GamersGate would be enough to tip the scales more in our favor.

                          Remember: Most studios and publishers do NOT see money when they hear from us. They see a bottomless money pit to them, right or wrong, and we have to do anything that is reasonable to shift that impression. Which is the why of this little thread.

                          [edit]

                          Did a bit of checking up on idea-games.com... Interesting series of twisted plays here- IDEA Games is a grouping of three studios, Bohemia, Black Element Software, and Altar Games. Bohemia seems to be the main player in the consortium. The other two have Cenega as their stated publisher. Cenega is a publisher and development outsource firm used by a LOT of the biggies. Names like 1C, UbiSoft, Ascaron, Eidos, and others show up as their customers. The titles Cenega have involvement with reads like a laundry list of AAA titles, including such names as DeusEx, Serious Sam II, Brothers In Arms, ARMA, etc. No wonder they did what they did.
                          Last edited by Svartalf; 09-17-2008, 02:33 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Probably, let's see how it goes. So have you had any contact or progress from either GoG or Gamersgate? Personally I dont really like freespace, but Im glad the objective of getting more games into linux, I would've preferred other titles from their catalog, like redneck rampage, or the fallout games probably. Operation flashpoint, that one sounds cool too. BTW, i know because i read on the web that a developer is working on Operation Flashpoint 2, but it's not Bohemian Interactive. So how can GoG offer OF1 when another company (who probably bought or somehow acquired the rights of the operation flashpoint games) is working on the sequel? Do both of them share the game rights?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                              Probably, let's see how it goes. So have you had any contact or progress from either GoG or Gamersgate? Personally I dont really like freespace, but Im glad the objective of getting more games into linux, I would've preferred other titles from their catalog, like redneck rampage, or the fallout games probably.
                              Heh... FS and FS2 are low-hanging fruit. Something to get their feet wet quickly and easily. The next on the list would be the Fallout series stuff they have in hand (I like Fallout), followed by negotiations with Ken for the Polymost BUILD engine for release across platforms for them so that Redneck Rampage can live on steroids.

                              I intend on helping them with as much of their catalog as they're able to allow me and are willing to do so.

                              As for hearing back from either, I've not heard from either GoG or Paradox yet.


                              Operation flashpoint, that one sounds cool too. BTW, i know because i read on the web that a developer is working on Operation Flashpoint 2, but it's not Bohemian Interactive. So how can GoG offer OF1 when another company (who probably bought or somehow acquired the rights of the operation flashpoint games) is working on the sequel? Do both of them share the game rights?
                              Rights are an interesting beast. People kept asking WHY LGP can't make the stuff available for download. There's a reason. The rights to publish in that manner weren't made available LGP or were more than were reasonable to obtain from the rights holders. LGP, for the titles offered, usually only has rights for a physical version thereof.

                              In the case of what we're seeing here, Bohemia kept the online publication rights to themselves (shrewd...very shrewd...) and then licensed it to at least GoG seperately. Ditto with the stuff from Interplay and Codemasters- they licensed the rights twice for GameTap and then for GoG in the case of at least part of the Interplay back catalog in that situation.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                                followed by negotiations with Ken for the Polymost BUILD engine for release across platforms for them so that Redneck Rampage can live on steroids.
                                Hell ya... need the cuss pack with it as well.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X