Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deus Ex2 remark is of your opinion. I happen to have the complete opposite opinion of it.

Anyhow, keep 'em coming guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      What about the original CoD? It's still a blast on multiplayer, and technologically speaking is sort of on par with Medal of Honor Allied Assault. And that runs natively on Linux as we all know. What do you think?
      Activision would probably still charge an arm and a leg to port it, or just say no period, I mean, they could literally take a dump in a box and write Call of Duty on it, and charge 70,000$+ to have it ported. Remember, Activision is in bed with M.. Yeah I won't go any further.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malikith View Post
        Activision would probably still charge an arm and a leg to port it, or just say no period, I mean, they could literally take a dump in a box and write Call of Duty on it, and charge 70,000$+ to have it ported. Remember, Activision is in bed with M.. Yeah I won't go any further.
        "Call of Duty 6: Piles of S***" I'd pay to see that!

Comment

Oh, ok, I understand, and yes, i dont think it was appropiate for Actiontec and Verizon to misapropiate busybox. I was just so excited about these games finally getting some well deserved attention. But, does that mean that you are dropping these games off the list? That'd be kind of a pity. Ok, what if we combine efforts to find who owns the copyright and get them to allow working on them? You can count on me.
          Oh, they're not off the list. They just don't get started until we find someone that we can claim having done due diligence with that we believe is a rights holder that can give us rights to the code and maybe even the assets for a remix. I need to check into what happens if the company dissolves and there was no direct assignment of the code to the officers of the company- I think rights devolves to the developers that did the work. If this is the case, then there's no issue as one of the rights holders with standing on the code released it in the manner he did. We'd just need a license grant (GPL/BSD/etc...) from HIM for the code or him formally releasing it into the Public Domain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Oh, they're not off the list. They just don't get started until we find someone that we can claim having done due diligence with that we believe is a rights holder that can give us rights to the code and maybe even the assets for a remix. I need to check into what happens if the company dissolves and there was no direct assignment of the code to the officers of the company- I think rights devolves to the developers that did the work. If this is the case, then there's no issue as one of the rights holders with standing on the code released it in the manner he did. We'd just need a license grant (GPL/BSD/etc...) from HIM for the code or him formally releasing it into the Public Domain.
            Ah, great! So maybe Les Bird is the rights holder, and he doesnt know it. I emailed him several times before, and i believe he'd release the code on a gpl/bsd type of license if he was. Maybe release it to the public domain even.

Comment

• What about the GTA games? Would Take 2 be interested or even cared enough to consider a linux port of their games? Maybe GTA III or its derivatives. (vice city, etc).

Comment

What about the GTA games? Would Take 2 be interested or even cared enough to consider a linux port of their games? Maybe GTA III or its derivatives. (vice city, etc).
                Any big player, unfortunately, is going to be a bit out of reach unless they're already making rumbles about Linux versions. Take2 is no exception to the rule. We're nothing but a drop in the sea to them (never mind that we comprise some 5-10% worldwide of the installed desktop userbase in reality- because they don't have good sales numbers...). Right now, the GTA stuff's in the dead-end pile as any of them would require much, much too much cash- if they were willing to give us the time of day. Unless you can get me a real foot in the door with Take2 and Rockstar, it's going to stay in the dead end pile (where it already was... )

Comment

• Ah ok, damn, well, it was a nice idea.

Comment

• OK, so honestly, what's the deal? We are stucked (at best) with 10 years old titles or nothing? Because almost any title mentioned in this thread is marked as "no deal" or "probably no deal"...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Not so sure if the law allows the devs to take the rights if the officers don't specifically own the rights...maybe some legal opinion be needed for that

Comment

• Originally posted by krzta View Post
                        OK, so honestly, what's the deal? We are stucked (at best) with 10 years old titles or nothing? Because almost any title mentioned in this thread is marked as "no deal" or "probably no deal"...
                        Do you have $20-50K? Do you know someone at the studio and publisher so that you could get something done with a handshake and a little larger and easier to swallow royalty deal?

If not, you're stuck with indies and "OLD" titles for a bit until we can get a few titles going for ourselves other than what LGP and Runesoft is managing. That's because you don't have RIGHTS ACCESS for anything less than the aforementioned means. Seriously. And if you want something like UT3 outside of the good graces of the studio and publisher, you'd better be able to cough up something in the low to mid six figures just to be able to PORT the thing.

We've gone over that little detail, ad infinitum, in other threads.

The reason that the titles are marked "no deal" is that the studio is VERY MUCH Linux hostile right at the moment or it's going to be one of those $50-250k deals just to license the rights to publish the version on Linux. The "probably not" deals are because they're going to want $25-50k up-front and I most definitely DO NOT HAVE THAT and Michael Simms determines LGP's plans- this is a personal pet project of MY own doing to try to show how things actually WORK in the games industry and to perhaps work at trying to change the rules a bit.

If you don't like what you're reading, I'm sorry for that. But, you're not their customer if you're not running Windows, MacOS (in some cases...), X-Box 360, Playstation 3, or the Wii right at the moment as that's what they make games FOR. Stating installed user base numbers won't do any good unless the Windows or console sales slip so that they're forced to look for customers elsewhere.

Complaining about the age of things we have at our disposal won't fix that.

Complaining/begging/threatening/etc. the studios and publishers in a VAIN effort to get them to make games for Linux most definitely won't work either.

Going our own way might. We've got to show indies that there IS a market for their stuff. Can't do that without a good base of titles, however new, old, etc. they might be- so long as they're fun to play, we need them.

That's what this thread is about as much as anything- trying to change the rules as much as we can on our own without having to fight the other fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                          Not so sure if the law allows the devs to take the rights if the officers don't specifically own the rights...maybe some legal opinion be needed for that
                          I did some checking...

Unless there's an explicit rights assignment for each instance of a work, software tends to be not considered a work for hire based off of precedent. A statement of all software work done for the employer by the employee won't cut it for the company either- they have to explicitly delineate the work the person does for you as an employee, and if it changes because of role change or line of business change, they HAVE to give you a new agreement or that clause usually gets thrown out if it goes to court as it's not presumed to be a work for hire except for a narrow range of things considered literary or artistic works.

Typically, you'd have to go to court to sort that sort of mess out, so most people don't dicker over the code- even at a game studio.

Having said this, we need to see if we can find the publisher's management or Les Bird's employment agreement before forging forward with the code he's providing on his website.

It's not out of the question, but it's forbidden fruit for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by krzta View Post
                            OK, so honestly, what's the deal? We are stucked (at best) with 10 years old titles or nothing? Because almost any title mentioned in this thread is marked as "no deal" or "probably no deal"...
                            Some of the titles may be pretty old, but if you take a game such as Raptor, have options so you can play it at say 1680x1050 or 1280x1024 and add a HQ filter or just new higher resolution replicas of the old graphics I think you got a game that can sell pretty decently. I mean yeah I understand your point if I was buying a game today that runs at 320x200 and costed me at least 20$ yeah I could see your point but I don't think that will happen.

You could almost just call it Raptor: Call of The Shadows Enhanced and its a Linux exclusive, instantly you got something no one else does. I think its a win win.

Comment

Some of the titles may be pretty old, but if you take a game such as Raptor, have options so you can play it at say 1680x1050 or 1280x1024 and add a HQ filter or just new higher resolution replicas of the old graphics I think you got a game that can sell pretty decently. I mean yeah I understand your point if I was buying a game today that runs at 320x200 and costed me at least 20$ yeah I could see your point but I don't think that will happen.

You could almost just call it Raptor: Call of The Shadows Enhanced and its a Linux exclusive, instantly you got something no one else does. I think its a win win.
                              There you go. That's something of what I was getting at when I said "change the rules".

Comment

Don't get me wrong - I don't have anything against old titles. Actually, I played Beneath a Steel Sky this weekend and I think it's a great game and it's like 15 years old or so.
                                Maybe just this thread went out of control with 90% of titles that are definitely a "no-deal".

Comment

Working...
                                X