Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snickersnack View Post
    This appears to already be on Icculus.

http://www.icculus.org/rott/
    Yea, but that port is sadly very outdated, and it wont compile straightforwardly without major changes. Maybe a commercial official port of it would be better.

Comment

• Activision is merging with Blizzard...
      http://kotaku.com/5023049/activision...erger-official
      I wonder if this is good or bad for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
        Hey Svartalf! Thanks for considering my suggestions! Regarding 3DR, well, they do own the rights and the source code of 3 of their games, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3d and Shadow Warrior. They even released the source code of all those 3 games as GPL, so I assume it'd not be that difficult to work something out with them.
        Yeah, I'm thinking this is the case too- but I don't want to drop something into George Broussard's lap from someone that's where Ryan was some 5-6 years back in the porting game. I think I need to get a few of the good prospects out of the way before talking with 'em about anything. Also keep in mind, there might be projects of their own that haven't been published yet. I need to see how that all shakes out before moving forward with them. They're local- I only need to drive 15-20 minutes from my day job to get to their offices. And I didn't know ROTT had been GPLed...checking on Ryan's website, sure enough, it's GPLed and in SVN there at icculus.org.

Regarding Witchaven I, II and tekwar, it'd be interesting too, I dont think there's gonna be any ip rights problem, actually, if there's a copyright holder of those games, working with the code might be a way to get their attention. Apparently Capstone/Intracorp wasnt bought out by any other company after they folded.
        Ahh... Unfortunately, what you're describing is willful infringement of whomever owns the rights to that code and the assets. Did you think it was appropriate that Actiontec and Verizon misappropriate busybox? If not, what you are suggesting is no different.

Sorry, not going to dabble in willful Copyright infringement- it might impair my ability to prosecute cases when my work (Patented or Copyrighted- and YES, I do have rights in both worlds...) was infringed upon.

It's easy enough to see if we can't trace the chain of Copyright ownership and get signoff from the person who owns the rights before doing any actual work on the subject.

Comment

Just a quick note, I think someone mentioned Raptor Call of Shadows before, the developer of this cool game still sells the game from their website http://www.mking.com/about.htm, they might be interested in a linux port of it.
          Raptor's already on the list...

Since we are were discussing build engine games, what about Powerslave? It was a fun game when it was released, but sadly its original developer, Lobotomy Software, went boom, and the publisher of that game, Playmates interactive Entertaintment, doesnt have the rights to that game. I tried contacting one of the developers that worked on that game, Ezra Dreisbach, but couldnt reach him. Maybe you could have better luck tracking him down. He later worked on the Champions of Norrath games.
          Powerslave's getting added to the list, then... If we can get signoff, we can make a JFBuild variant with the code they have.

Comment

• Here are my suggestions:

-Ufo: Aftermath, Aftershock and Afterlight (something like X-COM: UFO DEFENSE)- all done by Altar.
            -The Suffering 1/2 (horror game) by Surreal
            -Fallout 1 (yeah the first done by Black Isle). Bethesda has the rights to whole series.
            -Arcanum (very great RPG like Fallout 1) by Troika, probably rights to it has Sierra currently.
            - Painkiller (Overdose if it's possible) (FPS) by People Can Fly.

And that's all for now... maybe later I found out other titles.
            About some "maybe games":

Dues Ex 2 is rather poor game with bad controls/story and bugs. Really not worth porting.
            Gothic 3 team is working on some addon... good would be porting Linux version with that addon.
            And beside of that it's nice to see such topic.. shows that you listen to customers
            Cheers,

Comment

more random choices : Im on a roll!!!
              Kaiser or onion? >:-D

Seriously, though, this is being helpful- one guy can't ferret out all this stuff by himself.

-Interstate 75
              It's "Interstate 76"- Activision title. Themed vaguely like Bandits (if I can ever get it out...) If you've got an inside lead over there, by all means let me know. Otherwise, this is a no-go for at least reasons of the publisher if nothing else. It looked like a fun game when they came out with it and it's different enough from the Bandits gameplay that it would be worth considering if we could get rights to it.

-Syndicate Wars
              Sadly, I don't think Bullfrog or EA would want to part with the rights to this or allow such an "old" game to be made available right now.

-Simcity hehehe
              Now I know you're just being silly- that's already there if you want to unbundle the work to make Metropolis fit on the OLPC...
              Last edited by Svartalf; 07-09-2008, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post

Sadly, I don't think Bullfrog or EA would want to part with the rights to this or allow such an "old" game to be made available right now.
                Aww, too bad. I'd love to have a native linux version of Dungeon Keeper

Comment

• Originally posted by anyone View Post
                  Activision is merging with Blizzard...
                  http://kotaku.com/5023049/activision...erger-official
                  I wonder if this is good or bad for us.
                  Mixed. Blizzard itself isn't overly hostile (They DID make a native WoW client- that got nixed by the parent company Vivendi...) but the parent isn't friendly to us- any more than Activision is right now, really. It translates into having one place to go talk to for rights access to things like Interstate 76- but the company in question's not nice to us.

Comment

• Originally posted by mlau View Post
                    Aww, too bad. I'd love to have a native linux version of Dungeon Keeper
                    Another one of those goofy games I wouldn't mind seeing on Linux for retro play value as much as anything else.

Comment

• well, in my opinion all opengl based games could be ported to linux. there could be a middle layer between the game and the opengl driver interpreter to help the opengl games to be fastly ported to linux.
                      the directx games would require a full game rewrite and that is not possible with some games.
                      the only thing that linux still lacks is proper opensource flash support, a way to write pdf files directly now that pdf has been recognized officialy by osi as a standard and games porting.
                      the first two are not very far from their goal and on the third amd and tungsten have started to work with their gallium work. if only nvidia would start supporting in the right way the opensource community, with hw documentation, then the third point would rapidly grow in actual implementation.

Comment

• what about Silent Hill 4 or even the upcoming Silent Hill 5 ?

or the rather old title Battlezone 2 ?

Comment

Ahh... Unfortunately, what you're describing is willful infringement of whomever owns the rights to that code and the assets. Did you think it was appropriate that Actiontec and Verizon misappropriate busybox? If not, what you are suggesting is no different.

Sorry, not going to dabble in willful Copyright infringement- it might impair my ability to prosecute cases when my work (Patented or Copyrighted- and YES, I do have rights in both worlds...) was infringed upon.

It's easy enough to see if we can't trace the chain of Copyright ownership and get signoff from the person who owns the rights before doing any actual work on the subject.
                          Oh, ok, I understand, and yes, i dont think it was appropiate for Actiontec and Verizon to misapropiate busybox. I was just so excited about these games finally getting some well deserved attention. But, does that mean that you are dropping these games off the list? That'd be kind of a pity. Ok, what if we combine efforts to find who owns the copyright and get them to allow working on them? You can count on me.

Comment

Raptor's already on the list...

Powerslave's getting added to the list, then... If we can get signoff, we can make a JFBuild variant with the code they have.
                            Great! I'll resume my efforts to track down the former lobotomy software developers then!

Comment

Kaiser or onion? >:-D

Seriously, though, this is being helpful- one guy can't ferret out all this stuff by himself.

It's "Interstate 76"- Activision title. Themed vaguely like Bandits (if I can ever get it out...) If you've got an inside lead over there, by all means let me know. Otherwise, this is a no-go for at least reasons of the publisher if nothing else. It looked like a fun game when they came out with it and it's different enough from the Bandits gameplay that it would be worth considering if we could get rights to it.

Now I know you're just being silly- that's already there if you want to unbundle the work to make Metropolis fit on the OLPC...
                              ehehehehe, oh yea, you'd be surprised at how much i can ferret out on my own. Ah yes, i meant to type interstate 76, but somehow i typed 75, :P I might have some leads into it, Ill look. Ah, I didnt know EA owned Syndicate Wars, probably it wont be feasable then.

hehehe, wouldnt it be cool to offer official support for simcity on the OLPC?

Comment

• Ok, this probably aren't very good suggestions, but I'll post them anyways. What about the Serious Sam games? I think Croteam is pretty linux friendly, or at least not hostile towards it, and they're still independent i think, not owned by a bigger media conglomerate. There was supposed to be an official linux client for Serious Sam II, Croteam even got to a very working beta release, and then one day pulled it off, and left it in the cold. Some of the conspiracy theories around it were that Microsoft paid Croteam to shelve the linux client because Serious Sam II was going to be released on the Xbox, but thats just a rumor. Anyways, they might consider either of their Serious Sam games ported to linux.

Ok, I know Cod4 is a AAA title by Activision, and it wont be ported anytime soon, but what about the earlier Cods? They're still fun to play, and arent that hot of a property anymore. Maybe not Cod2, since its very similar to Cod4, but what about the original CoD? It's still a blast on multiplayer, and technologically speaking is sort of on par with Medal of Honor Allied Assault. And that runs natively on Linux as we all know. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X