Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I wonder if Bethesda would be interested in an update/port of Daggerfall into 3D.
    Might be easier to learn the file formats and base your own engine around them, instead of updating such an old and buggy code base. Something the open source community could do itself instead of having someone get the code and keep it closed. But they did release Arena for free.. maybe someone could poke them about open-sourcing Arena and Daggerfall..

    I'm wondering why Morrowind/Oblivion aren't very viable options. AFAIK, Oblivion's engine is based off Morrowind's, which is Bethesda's own. Oblivion does use Havok though, which is the only thing I can think of. Or is it because of the licensed MP3/NIF file formats?

    Comment


    • Just a couple of ideas that I don't think anyone has mentioned (from the newly edited first post). These are from indie teams, so I'm unsure of how Linux friendly they would be:

      Live for Speed - I haven't played this myself, but I'd sure like to when I do my next build (and better internet from moving). Looking at their site you'll find this, though. I'm unsure how they'd feel about other people taking it on.

      Wik and the Fable of Souls - Loved the concept from when I tried the trial version (1 hour of free time). Only reason I didn't get it was the lack of a Linux port. I couldn't really find their stance towards porting from a quick search. It is on XBLA, though...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Might be easier to learn the file formats and base your own engine around them, instead of updating such an old and buggy code base. Something the open source community could do itself instead of having someone get the code and keep it closed. But they did release Arena for free.. maybe someone could poke them about open-sourcing Arena and Daggerfall..

        I'm wondering why Morrowind/Oblivion aren't very viable options. AFAIK, Oblivion's engine is based off Morrowind's, which is Bethesda's own. Oblivion does use Havok though, which is the only thing I can think of. Or is it because of the licensed MP3/NIF file formats?
        Well, for Daggerfall, I wasn't really thinking about getting the code and porting it. More like starting a new game project fresh and just simply having rights into stamping it as Daggerfall. If it's going to be an update, most of the assets are going to go out of the window.

        If you're interested in running the old Daggerfall on Linux... http://www.gamehourz.com/Linux-ftopict83131.html

        Morrowind and Oblivion most likely will have Bethesda ask for a truckload of money to do. I don't think anyone can afford to do that right now.
        Last edited by niniendowarrior; 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          Well, for Daggerfall, I wasn't really thinking about getting the code and porting it. More like starting a new game project fresh and just simply having rights into stamping it as Daggerfall. If it's going to be an update, most of the assets are going to go out of the window.
          Unfortunately, Bethesda doesn't seem too keen on giving out those rights. Dungeon Hack tried that and got told no. Though I don't think details where given as to why.. maybe it was just a money issue.

          But still, a home-grown engine that handles Daggerfall's assets is a viable option. Sort of like how Doom's various GL ports work.. use the regular game stuff when there, while allowing overrides with higher resolution formats (eg. allowing models to override the sprites, double-resolution true-color compressed textures in place of the game-provided ones, etc).

          If you're interested in running the old Daggerfall on Linux... http://www.gamehourz.com/Linux-ftopict83131.html
          Running Daggerfall in DosBox has proven to be a pain. Despite my system (AMD Athlon X2 4200+), I can't find any speed setting that runs the game smoothly.. either the in-game is all jumpy, or the videos are out of sync.

          Morrowind and Oblivion most likely will have Bethesda ask for a truckload of money to do. I don't think anyone can afford to do that right now.
          Can't hurt to ask. Bethesda doesn't seem to have any plans regarding Oblivion (no more ports mentioned, no more expansions or patches planned), so..

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Unfortunately, Bethesda doesn't seem too keen on giving out those rights. Dungeon Hack tried that and got told no. Though I don't think details where given as to why.. maybe it was just a money issue.

            But still, a home-grown engine that handles Daggerfall's assets is a viable option. Sort of like how Doom's various GL ports work.. use the regular game stuff when there, while allowing overrides with higher resolution formats (eg. allowing models to override the sprites, double-resolution true-color compressed textures in place of the game-provided ones, etc).
            That might be a possible route to take though I think that's a very difficult project just the same.

            Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Running Daggerfall in DosBox has proven to be a pain. Despite my system (AMD Athlon X2 4200+), I can't find any speed setting that runs the game smoothly.. either the in-game is all jumpy, or the videos are out of sync.
            I've never used Dosbox for anything so I wouldn't know. I think I saw someone play Daggerfall on Dosbox and I think he removed the videos or something.

            Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Can't hurt to ask. Bethesda doesn't seem to have any plans regarding Oblivion (no more ports mentioned, no more expansions or patches planned), so..
            Nope. Doesn't hurt at all to ask. But it looks very dim right now. The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              Witchaven titles - not likely. Studio went bye-bye and we'd need the engine mods to the Build Engine that they did to accomplish driving their assets.

              System Shock - Not possible. Looking Glass went defunct and there was no clear release of where the code went to when they did because they were an Indie studio when they published both.

              Soldier of Fortune II - Maybe. Need to get a few of these likely candidates under our belts before we go to Raven and ask 'em about it or anything else they've got rights to.

              Call of Duty 4 - Heh... Mainline AAA title from Activision. Not going to happen at this time or in the near to medium future.

              UT3 - Epic's working on this. Uh, this list is soliciting ideas for things that either *I* or some other porting interest can realistically get rights to. THIS isn't it.
              Well, both of the Witchaven titles' full source code modfifications to the build engine are available for free, one of the former programmers that worked on it released them on his website. www.lesbird.com. BTw, did you get my previous post about Redneck Rampage? The franchise was bought a few years ago by Vivendi, they own the rights to it, so it might be a problem getting them to allow it to be ported. Do you think 3dr would agree to port their games too? I would love to see rise of the triad native on linux. Maybe some adventure games, like Perry Rhodan too.

              Comment


              • I visited the lesbird link and I couldn't find Witchhaven on there. Might be something I missed on that site?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  But still, a home-grown engine that handles Daggerfall's assets is a viable option.
                  This is currently being done for Morrowind http://openmw.snaptoad.com/ an interesting choice of language I might add (using D).

                  Edit: xav1r's mention of adventure games brought Sam and Max to mind, it's a small franchise but has a solid group of fans.
                  Last edited by Aradreth; 07-07-2008, 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                    This is currently being done for Morrowind http://openmw.snaptoad.com/ an interesting choice of language I might add (using D).

                    Edit: xav1r's mention of adventure games brought Sam and Max to mind, it's a small franchise but has a solid group of fans.
                    An interesting choice of language indeed. I wondered though if they should have just ripped out Quake 3's engine and added support for TES assets. lol.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                      An interesting choice of language indeed. I wondered though if they should have just ripped out Quake 3's engine and added support for TES assets. lol.
                      They are using the Ogre engine as the base for graphics.

                      Comment


                      • After that, they can graduate to Open Oblivion.

                        Comment


                        • If they do Oblivion they can do Fallout 3 too! Anyway lets stick to the topic, eh?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                            If they do Oblivion they can do Fallout 3 too! Anyway lets stick to the topic, eh?
                            Why? we have got to page 18 without...

                            OK, there may two or three pages worth of on topic posts in there...

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                              -snip-
                              I would love to see rise of the triad native on linux.
                              This appears to already be on Icculus.

                              http://www.icculus.org/rott/

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                                I visited the lesbird link and I couldn't find Witchhaven on there. Might be something I missed on that site?
                                Oh, sorry, yea, its kinda around there, here's a direct link:

                                http://www.lesbird.com/CAPSTONE/default.htm

                                Right there's the full source of the 3 games he worked at while employed at that company.

                                Edit: Oh, just as a note, as it's stated on the site, one of the files has a virus. It's an old dos era virus, that can be easily detected and eliminated with any free AV available. Since most if not all the people here are *nix users i dont think that'll be a problem anyways.
                                Last edited by xav1r; 07-07-2008, 11:52 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X