Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    That said in my particular case it doesn't matter that much since the dev-station requires connection to the server anyways for shared directories hence this machine is online already and on my laptop I would never put such a shit in the first place
    Well, if you do ever want my help - just let me know.

    I really do want steam/source to be released natively for Linux - I'm just not holding my breath, since the Source engine's heritage was from an OpenGL compatible source... and has since departed.

    -J

    Comment


    • Source lost OpenGL support quite some time ago ( well, if we take the former half-life engine into consideration ). I doubt it gets it back. And somehow I would not like to have steam ported to Linux to be honest. Porting source, nothing to object... but steam? It's like calling in a demon knocking on your door... bad idea

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        Source lost OpenGL support quite some time ago ( well, if we take the former half-life engine into consideration ). I doubt it gets it back. And somehow I would not like to have steam ported to Linux to be honest. Porting source, nothing to object... but steam? It's like calling in a demon knocking on your door... bad idea
        Would you prefer Stardock's Impulse service to be ported to linux instead? Ive heard good reviews about it.

        Comment


        • In fact I would like "no" DRM packed digital distribution package to be ported to Linux. This is not a solution but slavery of players.

          1) I want to decide where I install stuff, not some puny DD platform.
          2) I want to decide when I play a game and no puny DD platform saying "no" because it has a bad mood today.
          3) I don't want spyware forced down your throat whenever you start a DD platform.
          4) I want to use my games if required on my laptop WITHOUT connection.
          5) I want to OWN my bought games not BORROW/LEASE them!

          I think there's more but that's what jumps to my mind right now.

          Comment


          • Speaking of DRM, anyone see what Farcry 2 is doing for their system?

            3 machines, 5 activations per machine. Uninstalling gives you an activation back.
            They say that this is to avoid what happened to Spore.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Source lost OpenGL support quite some time ago ( well, if we take the former half-life engine into consideration ). I doubt it gets it back.
              It got it back when they released Orange Box on the PS3.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                It got it back when they released Orange Box on the PS3.
                I suggested that in another topic and someone sarcasticly said that just because its on the ps3 it doesnt necessarily use opengl, but some other thing, cant remember the name.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                  I suggested that in another topic and someone sarcasticly said that just because its on the ps3 it doesnt necessarily use opengl, but some other thing, cant remember the name.
                  libgcm is the name your searching for.

                  Comment


                  • Even Penny Arcade's going on about it. A three part news post (and a very funny comic in part 2).
                    http://www.penny-arcade.com/2008/9/24/

                    libgcm... that an translation layer, a wrapper like SDL, or something completely different altogether?

                    Comment


                    • I was really looking forward to building my next computer from the ground up with Linux. After reading this I really dont like the idea that I cant install it on more that 2 computers. If I own it I should own it on as many computers as I can afford in my life time. I personally wish they went the way of Steam b/c if I get a laptop ever I dont want to have to find some internet stop to keep playing my game. I will personally be skipping games with this kind of copy protection. I hate doing it but I just feel like it is something I need to do.

                      Comment


                      • This have a problem, I bought the X2 game yesterday, downloaded it, installed it today an now the server of linuxgamepublishing.com is down, so i cannot start the game because the LGP Security System Manager can't verify my key. So this system makes your licence dependant on the status of the lgp server. I expect this don't happens frecuently.

                        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                        Phoronix: LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

                        For seven years Linux Game Publishing has been selling their Linux-ported games with no form of copy protection on their CD/DVDs, but beginning with their forthcoming port of Sacred: Gold that will be changed. Linux Game Publishing has developed their own Internet-based game copy protection system for Linux, and in this article we have more details on this scheme as well as their motives behind this work.

                        http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12526

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Scot_Bernard View Post
                          This have a problem, I bought the X2 game yesterday, downloaded it, installed it today an now the server of linuxgamepublishing.com is down, so i cannot start the game because the LGP Security System Manager can't verify my key. So this system makes your licence dependant on the status of the lgp server. I expect this don't happens frecuently.
                          But my copy of X2 doesn't have this copy protection...
                          :-/

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Scot_Bernard View Post
                            This have a problem, I bought the X2 game yesterday, downloaded it, installed it today an now the server of linuxgamepublishing.com is down, so i cannot start the game because the LGP Security System Manager can't verify my key. So this system makes your licence dependant on the status of the lgp server. I expect this don't happens frecuently.
                            Hi,
                            the game doesn't require the LGP server to be online, though it may take 10-20 seconds longer to start up because the connections need to time out.

                            If you rented the game however, it probably will not work. In which case you may contact the store you rented it from, and I'm sure they will be happy to extend your period to make up for any inconvenience caused by this.

                            That said, the hosting provider for our servers took it down for "maintainance" without bothering to notify us about it, so we're not too happy with that to say the least.

                            Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any other questions or concerns.

                            Cheers,
                            Eskild Hustvedt (Zero_Dogg)
                            Community manager, Linux Game Publishing
                            eskild at linuxgamepublishing dot com

                            Comment


                            • As a quick update, we're going to credit all rentals with an additional week once we have the server back up.


                              Cheers,
                              Eskild Hustvedt (Zero_Dogg)
                              Community manager, Linux Game Publishing
                              eskild at linuxgamepublishing dot com

                              Comment


                              • Ok, good to know the reason why it's happening. Tank you for responding. I rented the game at tuxgames.com for a month this Thursday so that's why it requires the connection to validate the key every time I start the game.

                                Tuxgames is also offline so I cannot report anything to them, but anyway no problem now that I know you are working on restoring the server, good luck with that, so I and others will be able to continue playing those great games.

                                Originally posted by Zero_Dogg View Post
                                As a quick update, we're going to credit all rentals with an additional week once we have the server back up.


                                Cheers,
                                Eskild Hustvedt (Zero_Dogg)
                                Community manager, Linux Game Publishing
                                eskild at linuxgamepublishing dot com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X