Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ROFLMAO!!!

    That is one of the funniest things I ever read!

    Comment


    • I don't understand why people are so excited about STEAM, and say that it's great.

      I tried STEAM for a couple of weeks and could never get connected. Needless to say I didn't buy any STEAM game because of that.

      Comment


      • It's nothing I like neither... and especially nothing I want to have on Linux in one way or the other but without it you can't play source mods. So much for choice isn't it?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          ...but without it [STEAM] you can't play source mods. So much for choice isn't it?
          Well... I stopped playing those games altogether... that's the only choice I have. I know people that play CS a lot, but I am not that much into it, if at all.

          There still are a lot of good games that you can play "on a deserted island".

          Comment


          • Unfortunately one of my most liked most ( PoA ) works only with steam. That said the mod is hibernating currently and I don't think the community version is going to be non-steam.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Unfortunately one of my most liked most ( PoA ) works only with steam. That said the mod is hibernating currently and I don't think the community version is going to be non-steam.
              I understand what you mean. Luckily for me, steam NEVER worked, so there were way too many obstacles to get me "involved" in that.

              My problem is Rome Total War (TBS-game) that only runs with Windows (not WINE).

              Well, I guess we all have something to complain about.

              Comment


              • I find it contradictory that some people dont like DRM but they "tolerate" steam, when steam is nothing but a pretty good looking DRM executable, with net capabilities. Securom can't phone home, steam can.

                Comment


                • Windows does already phone home... most windows games do phone home... steam phones home... where's the difference? As long as the game is not running under Linux ( and certain people do not do something blasphemical as a linux copy protection with phone-home sticker on the box ) there's not much way around it except plugging the RJ45 cable... which you need for multiplay unfortunately.

                  Comment


                  • I once bought a dictionary (on CD) from a store. I had it sealed in the case for a few years, then my dad decided he wanted it installed.

                    So i install it and it says I have to go to a website, give the key on the CD and get a key to finish the installation. Alternatively there was a phone number (in a different country).

                    The site did not exists, and the number was "unassigned". I ended up looking for a crack to use the software I bought. Since this was not a popular piece of software, there was no crack.

                    Now I have a $20 dictionary CD that performs the awesome task of collecting dust!

                    The only problem I see with DRM is situations as above.

                    If for some reason the internet fails, or the company goes poof... the rightfully paid software becomes useless.

                    Also, there are many STEAM users that are extremely frustrated because they can't play the games they bought.
                    http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=93895
                    http://wp.uberdose.com/2004/08/13/steam-sucks/

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Alecz View Post
                      If for some reason the internet fails, or the company goes poof... the rightfully paid software becomes useless.
                      I will state, for the record, that I will hold Michael Simms to his word and I will provide the disarm patch if he fails to do so for any titles I have done work on for him that there is the DRM in place on.

                      Now, having said this, I can't fault your position- what if I got ran over by the proverbial beer truck?

                      Also, there are many STEAM users that are extremely frustrated because they can't play the games they bought.
                      http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=93895
                      http://wp.uberdose.com/2004/08/13/steam-sucks/
                      Heh... Somehow, I'm not at all surprised. However, you've got a substantive batch of the AAA players thinking that they need DRM to "protect their IP" from "pirates". In many cases, it's the same people that comprise the RIAA member companies. Planting your feet works after a fashion, but unless you adamantly refuse (like I do with Windows titles in general...there's extremely few exceptions, largely playtesting a potential new title or verification of content on a port...) you're not doing any good.

                      That means:

                      No Steam.
                      No World of Warcraft.
                      No Doom III.
                      No Quake IV.
                      No Unreal Tournament.
                      No Penny Arcade Adventures.
                      No Postal 2 (Yeah...).
                      No...

                      You get the idea.

                      I'm not telling you to NOT hold that position. Just don't do things that make you a hypocrite over it.

                      Comment


                      • Also, there are many STEAM users that are extremely frustrated because they can't play the games they bought.
                        Thats perhaps 0.1% of all STEAM users, I guess - otherwise, VALVe wouldn't still exist..

                        I don't want to protect STEAM in any way, but.. do you think, others are better? Doom3 connects to the id Servers every time you start the game - do you know what informations are transmitted? Of course, you can say, that you can pull the RJ45 cable - first, it's not a nice solution, second, when you want to play online you need to be online. If you "analyse" that, and compare it with STEAM, I think that you come to the conclusion, that it's nearly the same. Ok, doom3 is more "inconspicuous".
                        But as long as you want to play online, you have some kind of "DRM" (except the producer astains mechanisms like that, but.. who is he able to prove that? Open sourcing the code?) - sometimes more importunate (STEAM), sometimes weaker (for instance d3). In the end, it's always the same: Don't like, don't play...

                        Sry for my english..


                        Btw.. xav1r: Do you really think that securom can't phone home? I'd like to read an explanation.. I even have to admit that I prefer STEAM over "software" like for instance starforce. DRM versus rootkit - I definately prefer the former, though, I'd NEVER buy DRMed music / videos.
                        Last edited by Dragonix; 08-13-2008, 06:33 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Wrong... DRM IS a root kit since M$ wants to build it tightly into the OS or even the BIOS if possible. No difference between the two.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Dragonix View Post
                            Thats perhaps 0.1% of all STEAM users, I guess - otherwise, VALVe wouldn't still exist..

                            I don't want to protect STEAM in any way, but.. do you think, others are better? Doom3 connects to the id Servers every time you start the game - do you know what informations are transmitted? Of course, you can say, that you can pull the RJ45 cable - first, it's not a nice solution, second, when you want to play online you need to be online. If you "analyse" that, and compare it with STEAM, I think that you come to the conclusion, that it's nearly the same. Ok, doom3 is more "inconspicuous".
                            But as long as you want to play online, you have some kind of "DRM" (except the producer astains mechanisms like that, but.. who is he able to prove that? Open sourcing the code?) - sometimes more importunate (STEAM), sometimes weaker (for instance d3). In the end, it's always the same: Don't like, don't play...

                            Sry for my english..


                            Btw.. xav1r: Do you really think that securom can't phone home? I'd like to read an explanation.. I even have to admit that I prefer STEAM over "software" like for instance starforce. DRM versus rootkit - I definately prefer the former, though, I'd NEVER buy DRMed music / videos.
                            Well, im not an expert on DRM technology, but from what i've seen, on my windows computers, securom "protected" games create a directory in the application data folder in the documents and settings directory commonly known as My documents, and creates a entry in the windows registry. To delete them both, you need to download a program freely available on the web, and it takes like 20 seconds to get rid of both. I've noticed too, that after both securom entries are removed, the game continues to play normally. But i havent noticed any remote connections being established that i dont know about, my firewall hasnt detected any.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Dragonix View Post
                              ...
                              Doom3 connects to the id Servers every time you start the game - do you know what informations are transmitted?
                              ...
                              You can firewall Doom3 so it never connects, and it won't mind. I finished Quake 4 like that. Their DRM at least will not block you from playing.

                              I agree that for Online play you need to allow it in the firewall, but then... any online game has to "phone home" eventually, so at least YOU KNOW it is doing that, and you still have some control over it.

                              For LAN play... you should be able to remove Internet access from those computers.

                              Not ideal, but if you CANNOT use the software you paid for, that's when it becomes really wrong! (At least in my opinion)

                              Comment


                              • Isn't this what we have already? Play STEAM games without being online? No way! Which is a bit fucked up by the way that you have to be online to play a fucking single player game ( erm... WTF?! ).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X