Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

id Software Starts Work On Doom 4!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • id Software Starts Work On Doom 4!

    Phoronix: id Software Starts Work On Doom 4!

    In addition to the good news we broke this morning that Valve is porting the Source engine to Linux, id Software has announced today that they have begun work on Doom 4! In addition, id Software has announced they'll be expanding their development team for this Doom 3 successor. They are currently looking for new creative developers and if you think you'd be a good fit for this Texas game company, head on over to the id Software careers page...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjQ2Ng

  • #2
    After what Doom3 turned out being, I wonder what will this title be about... In Carmack's own words: They didn't want to go with a horror-theme game for Rage, but it looks like there is going to be one to showcase the idTech 5 engine, all the same... I'm not sure what is left there to explore in the Doom Universe (the developers already set the mood in Doom 1 and 3, gone to Hell to fight the bad guys in Doom 2 and RoE, what is there left to do?)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      After what Doom3 turned out being, I wonder what will this title be about... In Carmack's own words: They didn't want to go with a horror-theme game for Rage, but it looks like there is going to be one to showcase the idTech 5 engine, all the same... I'm not sure what is left there to explore in the Doom Universe (the developers already set the mood in Doom 1 and 3, gone to Hell to fight the bad guys in Doom 2 and RoE, what is there left to do?)
      There is always the option of sharks with friggen lasers.

      Comment


      • #4
        LOL

        I'm sure they'll think of something.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm waiting to see if carmack will eventually deliver on gpling the doom 3 engine... might be a while since raven is making another game with id tech 4 (eta 2009)

          Comment


          • #6
            Maybe when that game is released they will also GPL idTech 4, more accurately I believe that when Rage is finally released they'll start the clean up process for idTech 4.

            Comment


            • #7
              the developers already set the mood in Doom 1 and 3, gone to Hell to fight the bad guys in Doom 2 and RoE, what is there left to do?
              cleaning up heaven ;-)

              i don't even want to think about hw requirements for that game :]

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                cleaning up heaven ;-)

                i don't even want to think about hw requirements for that game :]
                Actually I don't believe they'll push the envelope that much. There's been as of late kind of a tacit agreement between IHVs and ISVs to shoot for mainstream hardware rather than aiming for the highest end. One of the aspects that has endangered so much the PC gaming scene are two factors: Price, PC gaming is much more expensive than console gaming, having into account that a single mid-to-high end video card can cost as much as a new-gen console system, a hard-core gamer buys in the order of 1 a year, at least. The other aspect is the highly variable hardware configurations. By aiming to a more common ground in hardware, the companies have kind of settled for mid-range products (which, by the way are the ones that are the bulk of sales for companies such as nVidia, rather than high-end products). Hopefully id will have that into account

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                  cleaning up heaven ;-)

                  i don't even want to think about hw requirements for that game :]

                  Heh, hex-sli and octocore to render them black screens faster.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Im hoping doom4 will be a remake of doom2, where you fight the demons on earth. And im waiting for the id tech 4 gpl release too, im thinking 2009.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      it would be nice, but on the other hand, pretty disappointing.

                      unless they add something else than just new visuals and audio to the game.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                        it would be nice, but on the other hand, pretty disappointing.

                        unless they add something else than just new visuals and audio to the game.
                        Forgot to mention in addition to new visuals and audio, much less monsters. Doom was massive horde after horde of mindless killing of sprite monsters of which there could hundreds in one single section of a level (me thinks of the "imp respawner" level as, I got to call it). I understand that polygonal monsters are whole different beast to deal with, but that's why there's vertex shaders (wasn't that their purpose?). I really hope they'll recapture the spirit of the old Doom.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                          Forgot to mention in addition to new visuals and audio, much less monsters. Doom was massive horde after horde of mindless killing of sprite monsters of which there could hundreds in one single section of a level (me thinks of the "imp respawner" level as, I got to call it). I understand that polygonal monsters are whole different beast to deal with, but that's why there's vertex shaders (wasn't that their purpose?). I really hope they'll recapture the spirit of the old Doom.
                          Heh... I know I'd buy it the day it shipped if there was a Linux version if they combined the dark, never know when in the HELL it's coming or from where, with the unrelenting hordes of the prior versions in the franchise.

                          It'd rock if they did that.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Indeed

                            That was about my only complaint about Doom3 (that and that the game ran too slow on the minimum and recommended system specs)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I love id games, been playing them since the old doom days, all prefer their oldskool fragging style over the tactical shooter stuff. I would like it if they went for that approach instead of trying to copy zombie games like they did with doom 3. Of course they won't listen to me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X