Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    If you look at 3D open source games, everyone will tell you that nvidia is the way to go and that you will get better support from the game developers. Most users go with nvidia and start reporting problems to the game developers, which in turn start focusing more on getting their game working with the nvidia blob since that's what the majority of their user base is using. Very understandable, but this means that users with ATI binary blobs or even those on open source drivers will often get the cold shoulder. Again, understandable due to the limited resources on most open source projects.

<*the rest snipped for brevity*>
    I don't care what GPU you use, so long as there's currently supported drivers so I can correct my bugs or go gnaw on a vendor's backside on a bug in their code...

I want people futzing with Caster and other titles with Intel, NVidia, AND AMD GPUs. Sure, it's closed source- but there's some FOSS-ed things that I'm working with here that I'm going to hold the same position with. But then, I'm probably the exception there and not the norm.

Anyway, got sidetracked there for a bit. To the real issue. I don't think ATI drivers themselves are what's preventing any commercial gaming in Linux. That seems like an excuse not to bring games to Linux.
    Depends on the game and the studio, but yeah, it's one of the gems that keeps coming up from time to time...

Once you start bringing big commercial games to Linux you inevitably will bring everything that comes with it, which in short equals to money. You think AMD won't want a piece of that pie? If Linux gaming starts getting as big as Windows gaming, then AMD will start doing whatever it deems necessary for it to secure a place in that new market.
    Well...if the rumor I recently got handed is even half true, there's going to be a much bigger market than most of them think. And there might be some hardware vendors scrambling to catch back up where companies like Intel and AMD are at right now. Combine that with what we're all seeing with the smartphone/smartbook space, well...you get the idea I'm going for there...

If commercial game developers keep stalling and offering excuses, then things won't change from how they are now. Entrepreneurship in the industry is all but dead though, so the sad reality is that aside from a miracle, we will never see the big commercialization of gaming in the Linux side of things like we see with Windows. If anything, Linux gaming will remain the realm of hobbyists and small indie studios.
    Well, I see the Smartphone/Smartbook story changing the rules up some. (You want to sit on the hottest new smartphones with a mobile game? You'd better quit making excuses and start making Linux games- however you can do it... ) There's some other trends that are beginning to show to the studios and other companies that maybe they're missing a bet there that they should be putting something down on.

Comment

• Just a little update. Valve will releas Steam and the SourceEngine for MacOS in April. slashdot.org

So lets see, if we get a Linux too, in the near future.

Comment

• Both future and old games are being ported, that's kinda cool of them, considering that Half-Life 2 was released way back in 2004...

Comment

• Well Valve said the Mac Source engine will use OpenGL so I have my hopes up.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkyHiRider View Post
            Well Valve said the Mac Source engine will use OpenGL so I have my hopes up.
            Awesome news. Too bad Linux wasn't mentioned in their announcement,but hopefully it'll come later.

Comment

• Little update: Phoronix has an own article about the MacOS port http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODA1MA

Comment

• According to the Telegraph Valve have confirmed that a native Linux Steam client is coming in the next few months:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...goes-live.html

Comment

• Originally posted by melat0nin View Post
                  According to the Telegraph Valve have confirmed that a native Linux Steam client is coming in the next few months:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...goes-live.html
                  Yeah we've been over this already. The Telegraph most likely got their information from Phoronix, and it isn't backed up by Valve at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
                    Yeah we've been over this already. The Telegraph most likely got their information from Phoronix, and it isn't backed up by Valve at all.
                    people keep saying this, but that's a big assumption to make. Phoronix never said anything anything to the effect of "Valve has also confirmed"
                    I assume that a major newspaper would only post facts, not reference the blogosphere. Shoot, I doubt those guys at the telegraph have even heard of phoronix. I think to assume that they pulled this from phoronix is just to much of an assumption, and completely baseless. Not impossible, but no information indicates this, and the diction of the article doesn't correlate to anything said by phoronix, ever.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Comment

• passed the 1 min mark, wanted to add:

"That level of conjecture is on level with the quality of reporting you'd be accusing the telegraph of..."

Comment

• You are incorrect. The articles here always suggest "it's official from Valve" which is bullshit. Besides Phoronix is more known than you think. /. for example tends to make news out of Phoronix news. So it's very well possible that the snake bites its own tail especially since Phoronix people (as it looks) don't really check their news much but instead jump on any hype-train passing by.

Comment

• Phoronix made news "It's official now..." after ppl posted about telegraph's post. And their post says "VALVE confirmed....", not "according to phoronix's sources steam is coming for linux too in next coming months".

They could have googled steam linux and found it at first but why that non-technie newspaper would searched for if there is linux client coming too. I admit it sounds bit odd that valve would confirmed it throught only one minor newspaper but i can't answer that.

I think it was in irc where some1 writed that (s)he had writed email to telegraph about sources and they answered that it were valve directly.

And last but not unsignifigant anyway, most "good" newspapers tend to make internal check for sources when claim's has been made before publishing storys. I dont know if telegraph is "that" kind of newspaper tho.

Comment

Working...
                          X