Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am i the only one interested in mumble....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    The first sort of works okay under PA's OSS emulation. The second can be easily sorted out by making OpenAL think it's talking to OSS or ALSA depending on what else the title's doing.
    I tried PA's OSS emulation today and it's not really a viable solution as I got a lot of popping/crackling noise with it. Hopefully it'll improve and become a viable solution soon enough.

If ALSA is so cumbersome to work directly with, why not use some sort of HAL (SDL making use of OpenAL or PA directly)?

Now, I know OpenAL itself is undergoing heavy development as well, especially with its new Sampling Implementation (or whatever its called), which is more efficient and what not. IIRC one of the ultimate goals of PA is to serve as a sort of HAL for sound devices so developers code for it instead of the underlying "bare metal" API (OSS/ALSA) and ensure compatibility, however to achieve this, PA has to first become the defacto standard Sound backend for Linux (as X is for graphics, yes I know I must seem like a scratched record by now), to really work this way.
    PA is slowly becoming the defacto standard because with both Fedora and Ubuntu using it PA has a fair percentage of the Linux user base. So given some more time I think more distro's will follow suit and start using it.

Comment

interesting - changelog for mumble 1.1.4 says os x support has been introduced and positional audio on all audio backends, in addition to a bump upto qt 4.4 and improved pulseaudio support.

you might want to check out this old link detailing whats coming up with pulseaudio 0.9.11...

Its a post by a pa dev that details the traditional sound playback model n a glitch-free model, along with the changes to pa so that it adopts a glitch free model.

also read the comments, definitely an interesting read.

bluetooth support under pa is also a gsoc project this year http://code.google.com/soc/2008/blue...18999748B418AE

along with the openal sampling work, I think this year might be one of the more interesting wrt linux audio.
      Last edited by hmmm; 03 June 2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Any one know how well does Mumble and dmix work together?, so I can disable PulseAudio while playing a game with Mumble as the VoIP app. I'd like to give it a try, I have already setup the server and am able to connect with the client, but have not tested it with other applications running on this ATi Azalia card on my laptop (on my desktop, since I've got a Live! card, that is not an issue, and I'm worried about this non hwmixing capable and how dmix might work (or not) with Mumble.

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
          you might want to check out this old link detailing whats coming up with pulseaudio 0.9.11...

Its a post by a pa dev that details the traditional sound playback model n a glitch-free model, along with the changes to pa so that it adopts a glitch free model.

also read the comments, definitely an interesting read.
          I hadn't seen that yet, very interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I would love to have an application like mumble on linux. TeamSpeak3 seems to take forever and no idea what the status is for Ventrilo. One big issue for me is that QT is required for the server and I don't want to install X on the server for just one application Any idea if they plan to remove the QT dependency for the server?

Comment

There's a statically linked server binary which is what I'm using, works very well...

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                There's a statically linked server binary which is what I'm using, works very well...
                If it comes up without X11, then this is fine- otherwise, that would be an issue. It needs to be something that runs headless for it to be ultimately useful as a VoIP solution for gaming. Ever wondered why they'd do the server and not the client for a game on Linux? It's because Linux runs just fine headless and can be pooled up into farms of servers easily and cheaply.

Comment

Heh... Looking at the whole lot, they used Qt for network stack support as well as UI, and the UI appears to be decoupled from the rest like I mentioned. The statically linked binary ought to work just fine, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    If it comes up without X11, then this is fine- otherwise, that would be an issue. It needs to be something that runs headless for it to be ultimately useful as a VoIP solution for gaming. Ever wondered why they'd do the server and not the client for a game on Linux? It's because Linux runs just fine headless and can be pooled up into farms of servers easily and cheaply.
                    I've got it running headless on my CentOS home server (though I have X installed on the server as it also functions as a spare system for "guests")

Comment

Oh hey speaking of Mumble I noticed this on the ioquake3 news page:

Lets examine two quick points:

* Hardcore gamers like choices.
                      * Hardcore gamers like VOIP.

Based on these theories, ioquake3 is adding VOIP support for the next release. This internal support is going to bring along with it support for (entirely optional) Mumble positional VOIP audio. More nerd-speak after the break, the short and quick of it is, however:

We?re going to have VOIP for mods/new games, and baseq3. This is a pretty radical departure from the initial goal of not changing anything in baseq3, and is probably the single largest (obvious) end-user benefit for using ioquake3.

The fact of the matter is that if you want to blame someone for allowing it to be included, you can blame me (Zachary, lead omnipresent overseer of ioquake and related entities). If, however, this makes you happy and you want to praise somebody, give either big ups OR big props to Ryan Gordon (lead intergalactic space nerd) and Ludwig (Herr Angst).

Please, do not spoil them with both ups AND props.
                      More info @:

Lets examine two quick points: Hardcore gamers like choices. Hardcore gamers like VOIP. Based on these theories, ioquake3 is adding VOIP support for the next release. This internal support is going…

Comment

Working...
                      X